How much discount is it worth to buying Banana Republic?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Izod32, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

they pretty regularly have 40% off sales, so I'd start there.

keep in mind that what counts is if it fits and looks good, otherwise it's just a waste of money no matter how little money.

2. gateslion

gateslion Well-Known Member

I won't speak on their suits and dress shirts, but for very casual wear, mostly polos specifically, I used to be a fan. Now this was 9 years ago at least. Their polos used fairly decent fabrics. Ones that felt nice enough to wear and more importantly (to me anyways) felt nice to the touch, for the ladies putting their hands on you.

I stopped wearing their stuff when I noticed that the cut and fit seemed to take a drastic change one year. The way their shirts fit now, you couldn't GIVE me one.

3. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

I dont mind their trousers for work. My last pair retailed for $125 i think....I paid 35 bucks. the blazers are great for wearing out and not really having to worry about. Personally, if i just loved the print and it fit great, I wouldnt pay anything over 50-75. MAYBE. Im just not a fan....Id rather save my money and pick up something of quality on B&S

4. RedRaider

RedRaider Well-Known Member

I'll take a look when we're at the mall, but the only things I'll check for on the sale rack are ties, cuff links and socks. I try to stay away from BR, but the fiance likes to shop there for work clothes (teacher), so I take a gander.

5. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

I pass on BR stuff all the time... at thrifts... for prices under 5 bucks... and yes, I see NWT stuff for that price (or at least under 10 bucks). Still pass on it. Just putting that out there.

6. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

I bought a pair of plaid pants from BR, 100% cotton, don't know why I bought them as they feel like they are crispy [​IMG]

I recently found a pair of incotex at a thrift store, 100% cotton. I would never guess that they were made with the same fabric as the BR pants had I not seen the tag. If only I could fit into incotex [​IMG]

That being said I have some of their shirts that I bought for $8 in some pretty nice colors, not a bad deal. In fact I love the slim fit! Fabric isn't the best though...

7. Sazerac

Sazerac Senior member

There's one model of their pants that fits me well and I'll buy it for maybe 65% off. (I believe their stuff used to be better as I have pairs of casual trousers from there that have lasted a good ten or so years.)

Other day I was in one of their outlets and picked up a wool sweatervest for $11. It fits well, but I don't expect it to last more than a season or two before getting stretched out of all recognition.

(I found this bizarre: I am 6'4'' and a 44L, yet the vest size that fit best was a medium. In what kind of world am I a medium?)

8. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

(I found this bizarre: I am 6'4'' and a 44L, yet the vest size that fit best was a medium. In what kind of world am I a medium?)

Size inflation. BR is particularly known for this odious practice.

9. oaw01

oaw01 Senior member

I just picked up a bunch of BR Monogram/Heritage sweaters for $15-$20 a piece.
    It looks and feels the same as the RLBL stuff. I like the fit of Heritage line pants and they're not all that bad. Don't let the haters get to you.

The regular BR is total crap however the Monogram/Heritage line is not bad for under $50.

10. southbound35

southbound35 Senior member

I'd say 40% is the lowest discount I would consider. As many have mentioned, their clothes simply aren't a value at or near their retail price. However, BR does have some attractive garments and they are a decent value at a steep discount. If you're not on their e-mail list already, they frequently send coupons and extra discount codes.

11. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

i on occasion would buy something from br only if it was a filler piece like a long sleeved tee or a button up plain shirt or henley. these things are usually found in the clearance and real cheap like $9.90 or something. they work well as filler pieces if you SIZE DOWN

12. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Senior member

The only thing I buy at Banana Republic is their jeans, everthing else, is...well, shite.

13. runner-guy

runner-guy Senior member

I agree with others. I usually stick with the outlet. I do have a Banana Republic wool winter coat that I bought on sale for around $100. I've been wearing it for the past 5 years or so and it's been holding up well.

14. Izod32

Izod32 Active Member

Yes i am aware BR has these sales a lot. However, when its 30 percent off or so, all the good stuff are taken in the sizes people normally buy which is why i got it quickly. Where do you ever see 65 percent off? The highest i ever seen is 40 percent off where you can still maybe for a few hours get the good things and then after those few hours, its only XL and XXL and the clothes no one wants.

15. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    i've got a couple of br sweaters that have held up well.