• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How fancy can I get at college before I get ostracized.

hedgehog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dr Huh?
If you are better dressed than your teacher, you might want to try dressing down.

Haha. Most of my professors don't know how to dress at all. One of them wears totally random blazer/pants/shirt-combination, mostly with horrible shoes. Another used to wear a big, outwashed Bob Marley t-shirt and some horrible jeans from the mid-nineties.

As for the topic:
I agree to those saying that you should adjust somewhat to the environment. Wearing a suit would be way out of place at my school - that's something more reserved for the weirdo loners.

I'm mostly wearing some nice jeans and chinos once in a while, shirts, and different knitted sweaters or cardigans. If it's cold, I'll wear a 3/4 black woolen coat. I'm going to find a nice, casual sport coat, whenever I have the money for it.

Save the suits for occasions where wearing a suit makes sense. Or wear whatever you want, if you are willing to be known as "the weirdo who always wears a suit to school".

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ryan Graber
I've been staying around the jeans + sportcoat, occasional slacks + sportcoat, but am curious how far I could go and not get looked at funny at college? Could I wear a suit? Can I wear a Tie with sportcoat and jeans? Thanks
Too late, start wearing Ed Hardy to balance it out. That or go full circle and wear a bespoke vicuña Brioni

Ryan Graber

Reaction score
I took two pictures of a sportcoat from etro with my webcam to try and get your opinion if this is casual enough to wear.
Where can I get a monocle that does not have a prescription in it?

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The best way to distinguish yourself from the parka/hoodie/sneaker crowd in college in my opinion, is not to do the suit/sportcoat route which would immediately label you a dork, but to do crewneck sweaters with woolen peacoats and topcoats. Get a nice navy/black peacoat (Sterlingwear is great!) and a topcoat, have them tailored for a good fit, purchase some nice crewneck sweaters (you don't need $200 cashmere - LE has a sweater sale going on right now), and get some leather boots/chukkas and you are all set. Casual, yet stylish and will set you apart from the crowd...

clintow

Reaction score
As one who habitually overdresses for college classes, I would say you probably won't be ostracized for anything short of a full on suit or sportcoat with slacks and a tie. If you do it often and with conviction and confidence, people get used to how you dress pretty quickly. If your personality can pull it off, even a suit will only garner "wtfs" from the peanut gallery for the first day or so.

That said, however, the above comments that mention the other side of the coin are also quite correct. Although you probably won't get ostracized by anyone but strangers, being socially accepted is another matter entirely. The more you place yourself outside the group via your clothes, the more other people will place you outside their group. As has been mentioned, you quickly become "that guy with the yellow pants" or what-have-you.

Unfortunately, if you're anything like me, once you've begun thinking about all these things (aesthetics, how you like to dress, the social implications thereof, etc) it becomes virtually impossible to forget all that nonsense and just dress like everyone else again. Lord knows, there are days I wish I could go back to not caring again.

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me, going to college taking an art course made me realize that dressing up wasn't very practical as I'd be working with paint, glue, etc, and so wouldn't want my clothes to get dirty. So this might have clouded my opinion. Still, as a student you may find there's no time to put in the effort to get well dressed.

Not to single him out but you should check out Sterling Gillette's posts in the WAYWRN thread. I don't think he posts that often but he's a great example of someone who is young and well dressed yet able to make his appearance look casual. His outfits look well thought out, yet not to the point where it's obvious that he's trying to be well dressed. I think that's something I and a lot of us strive for. To look good without drawing attention to ourselves.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
This is a good post. Rejecting the norm for your peer group sends a pretty clear message that you don't want to be part of that group. That's fine if you really don't care, or if you have a sufficiently magnetic personality that people want to be part of your group. But if you advertise to people that you are not like them, don't be surprised when they decide you aren't like them.

Dressing well tends to weed out the boring people. I've never seen any reason to hang out with non-eccentrics. As for the original question, a sportcoat and trousers is fine.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amplifiedheat
Dressing well tends to weed out the boring people. I've never seen any reason to hang out with non-eccentrics.

Life, sooner or later, tends to give you reasons.

I wear some crazy stuff but like to at least bear in mind how others will receive it. That, to me, is just common sense. Sometimes it's not just about what I want.

BareSolid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nereis
Wear it in an ironic way and you get points. Must have no shoulder pads, be loud/garishly checked, and worn with a **** you attitude. Shirt is untucked, no tie and skewn like you just woke up from a night out on the town. Bloodshot eyes are compulsory.

I'm so ******* tempted to do this.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ranker
You're not going to get ostracized based purely on the way you dress

bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif

To the OP: I'd say escalate your style incrementally. And then, when you start getting the **** beat out of you on a regular basis, go back one step.

hedgehog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nereis
Wear it in an ironic way and you get points. Must have no shoulder pads, be loud/garishly checked, and worn with a **** you attitude. Shirt is untucked, no tie and skewn like you just woke up from a night out on the town. Bloodshot eyes are compulsory.

Hangover chic is the new heroin chic.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can get away with wearing a sportscoat if you wear it with panache, and in a streetwise way.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends if you want to dress how you really want, or do you want to seem approachable and normal.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by radicaldog
You can get away with wearing a sportscoat if you wear it with panache, and in a streetwise way.

Like, with a switchblade in one hand?

- B

BareSolid

Reaction score
I can see myself wearing a cream linen/cotton suit and oxford button down collar shirt with brown shoes in the summertime and it not being seen as being overdressed. No tie, though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads