• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you explain SF to your friends?

Karo

Reaction score
I tell them its an exclusive online club for gay men.
laugh.gif

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Karo
I tell them its an exclusive online club for gay men.
frown.gif

Fixed.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I happily separate my fulfilling make-believe internet life and my drab cold real-world existence.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
I happily separate my fulfilling make-believe internet life and my drab cold real-world existence.

I'm much less interesting in real life, which is not to say that my online persona is interesting, but my real-life persona is a bore.

My wife knows about the site. She laughs at me, but I'm almost certain that is why she married me. Anyone else, I just tell them that "I read on the Internet that..." I try to avoid at all costs revealing the actual site. If someone asks me how I know some obscure bit of clothing information, I just shrug and say that I picked it up somewhere.

It's not so much that I am ashamed of engaging in this site, but I have learned to cherish Internet anonymity. Similarly, I'll likely never let myself meet any of you in person.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't figure so many were closet cases. I told my gf about sf before the denim bar party. Luckily, that was a pretty normal event full of reasonable people (althought kronik was there). She was a little weirded out that people recognized me from waywt, and a little weirded out that I have 2k+ posts here. I'm glad and not surprised she's not particulary interested in reading it, although I'm pretty sure she's lurked a couple times since. Hi honey!

It's difficult classifying SF. I wouldn't say it's a secret, but it's not something talked about.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have only told one person, aside from my wife. I was talking to a cousin about a possible job for a forum member, and he asked me where I knew him from and I had to tell about the forum. he was very amused, very amused. never tried that again.

my wife thinks that the whole thing is very funny. but she is a big member of UB, which isn't that differnt.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I made the mistake of telling my father. He teases me relentlessly. He seems to be of the idea that I can't be at my computer at all without being on here, which is partially true. It was awkward until I reminded him that he used to be a big part of a Deadhead community that would trade tapes with each other, and that it was no different; this was a place where I can talk to people with similar interests, and engage in some nice conversation that I normally don't get to be a part of between my job and school. After that, he seemed to understand it a lot more.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"It's an online forum where men, (raising eyebrows here) mostly straight men, talk about men's clothing all the time."

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Try having memebers of SF drop your name at stores and explain that.

madison avenue

Reaction score
I dont tell anyone about this place. My girlfriend knows all about it though. She does not mind it so much although deep down inside she probably thinks that I am a bit of a loser. She is into fashion as well so I guess that kind of makes it more understandable on her part. However I think shes been getting annoyed of all the information I pass on to her after I learn it here and I talk about people to her from SF as if she knows them. Aside from her no one else from my peeps knows about SF.

On another note do you guys walk into stores and look at other customers or workers perhaps and try to put their face on a SF member name... I do this quite often is this normal =)

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
That is ******* pathetic. Whoever does that should be ashamed of themselves, and should be outed as a complete loser.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

If this happened to you, I hope you got something out of the deal.

I could not deal with the shame of telling friends that I spend all day talking about clothes with other guys, taking and posting pics of myself and critiquing other's sleeve pitch, waist suppression or kak fade so whenever anyone asks why I am always on the computer, I just tell them I'm really into scat Appreciation.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
That is ******* pathetic. Whoever does that should be ashamed of themselves, and should be outed as a complete loser.

It's actually happened 3x.

One person was talking about me to my Thom Browne girl at BG.

Another person called my guy at Barneys.

Someone else called my guy (no longer there, very sad) at Jil.

Each case:
"Oh hey I talked to your friend _____."
"Who?"
"Blah blah from blah blah they wanted to buy blah blah."
"Oh yah that dude." nervous laugh

redgrail

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One person was talking about me to my Thom Browne girl at BG.

Understandable.
I would do edmorel like things to her.

...but seriously, that's pretty pathetic.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads