1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How do you buy a good scarf?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by josepidal, Jul 25, 2006.

1. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

Guy from tropical country going to East Coast in autumn. If you were to advise him on how to get a first scarf, how would you do it? In general, what material and color (and style?) would be most flexible, to the point that just one would do it for a single winter?

And what "winter" hat would go with the scarf?

2. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

If this is in your budget, this cashmere one from Tarheel is a good deal:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/New-BROOKS-Broth...QQcmdZViewItem
    He has two others, and is a good, honest seller with great customer service.

If you want to spend less, just get something cheap from Filene's Basement when you get to the States. If it's only for one winter, don't worry too much.

3. EL72

EL72 Senior member

Ideally, you could have several different scarves to match different coats. If you only get one scarf, grey/charcoal is probably the most versatile color, though some tan plaids can also be very nice. The best cashmere ones are expensive but trying to find any on sale at this time will be difficult imo. Beware of the cheap wool ones as they will be itchy.

Forget about the hat, unless you are outside during a blizzard and 80mph winds, you don't need one for everyday use. (I live in Canada and never wear one unless I am doing outdoor activities with my kids and the temperature is < -20).

4. EL72

EL72 Senior member

5. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Guy from tropical country going to East Coast in autumn. If you were to advise him on how to get a first scarf, how would you do it?

In a store with an American Express card.

6. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

Forget about the hat

[​IMG]

7. denning

denning Senior member

I agree with EL. You shouldn't have to worry about a "winter hat" in Boston (by the way they're called toques[​IMG] ). I went through more than a quarter century of winters where you had temps below -40 for several weeks at a time and I never needed a hat for going from home to car to whatever building was my destination.

8. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

A fedora is a winter hat as are those Persian lamb hats.

9. stach

stach Senior member

Yes but jose will be in climate shock.

10. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

11. VMan

VMan Senior member

I'd recommend a simple wool ski-style cap for the really cold and windy days. Especially coming from the Philippines to Boston. Jose, if you want to get adventurous, there's: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

13. EL72

EL72 Senior member

So what, he's a man. Jose: you're gonna need to suck it up if you want to look good for the Boston hotties so, except for extremely cold days (maybe 3-4/winter in BOS), that means no dorky hat and unsightly hat hair.

I would invest in some winter footwear if I were you before thinking about hats and scarves. Leather soled EGs won't work well and will get ruined in snowy, slushy weather.

14. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

jose, get a couple of rubber soled country calf john lobbs when you are at boston.

15. funk_soul_brother

funk_soul_brother Senior member

16. kronik

kronik Senior member

lol [​IMG]

When I think scarf, my mind just goes to Hermes.. I dunno. I don't particularly like any of their offerings in regards to scarves for men (some of the women's stuff is just freaking gorgeous, and ridiculously pricy to boot). It did, however, pose a relatively decent solution for the OP in regards to combo/convenience. [​IMG]

Edit: (I'm still not to where I can afford 1k on shoes, much less a tacky scarf/hat. :p )

17. stach

stach Senior member

[​IMG]

Lots of New yorkers of both sexes were wearing this type of hat last winter.

18. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I picked up one of those Soviet army officer surplus hats in beaver when I was in Prague a few years back. It's incredibly warm and comfortable, quite soft. I wore it a few times when I went back to Madison, got a few weird looks at the red star on the front but who cares heh Something like this: [​IMG]

19. Buddy Love

Buddy Love Senior member

I picked up one of those Soviet army officer surplus hats in beaver when I was in Prague a few years back. It's incredibly warm and comfortable, quite soft. I wore it a few times when I went back to Madison, got a few weird looks at the red star on the front but who cares heh

Something like this:
    [​IMG]

Really like the hat. [​IMG] Does anyone know any onlinestores having those?