How do you buy a good scarf?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by josepidal, Jul 25, 2006.

1. funk_soul_brother

funk_soul_brother Senior member

2. kronik

kronik Senior member

lol [​IMG]

When I think scarf, my mind just goes to Hermes.. I dunno. I don't particularly like any of their offerings in regards to scarves for men (some of the women's stuff is just freaking gorgeous, and ridiculously pricy to boot). It did, however, pose a relatively decent solution for the OP in regards to combo/convenience. [​IMG]

Edit: (I'm still not to where I can afford 1k on shoes, much less a tacky scarf/hat. :p )

3. stach

stach Senior member

[​IMG]

Lots of New yorkers of both sexes were wearing this type of hat last winter.

4. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I picked up one of those Soviet army officer surplus hats in beaver when I was in Prague a few years back. It's incredibly warm and comfortable, quite soft. I wore it a few times when I went back to Madison, got a few weird looks at the red star on the front but who cares heh Something like this: [​IMG]

5. Buddy Love

Buddy Love Senior member

I picked up one of those Soviet army officer surplus hats in beaver when I was in Prague a few years back. It's incredibly warm and comfortable, quite soft. I wore it a few times when I went back to Madison, got a few weird looks at the red star on the front but who cares heh

Something like this:
    [​IMG]

Really like the hat. [​IMG] Does anyone know any onlinestores having those?

6. jkester

jkester Active Member

7. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

Here's something that would work well:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/4...ere-Scarf.html

Going back to the actual topic at hand... how's this? Anyone echo the opinion? What is the usual MSRP of a "good" scarf that won't itch and that will feel a little like good suiting fabric, etc.?

8. stach

stach Senior member

Excellent price.

9. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

Cashmere will be the most comfortable. Silk is also great, though it's hard to find something really warm. I recommended the STP scarf because the brand is reliable. Also, at 39.95, you're not investing much at all.

The retail price of a nice cashmere scarf will start at about $100; the last one I bought started at $180 (I paid less on sale). I have a nice striped merino wool scarf that I bought at a French-inspired menswear shop on Newberry St. Someone here will know the name. Memory says Alain Figueret, but that could be wrong. I bought it on sale for $37 one February.

One thing you might keep in mind is that scarves and gloves, much like umbrellas, have a habit of wandering from their owners. I'd recommend buying a few good quality cashmere scarves for relatively cheap and then not worrying about losses.

10. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

And what color might be recommended from that STP selection? Navy?

11. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

My favourite scarves are a couple of double-sided silk ones from Ede & Ravenscroft. Lovely colours and patterns and go with almost any oufit.

If you want more warmth, get double-sided silk/cashmere (or wool) scarves. The silk feels great, the cashmere keeps you warm. I have one from Ferragamo that is incredibly warm and another one from APC.

12. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

And what color might be recommended from that STP selection? Navy?

Navy is always a safe pick and will work with lots of coats. I'd avoid the plaids, but that's a matter of taste.

13. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

Cashmere or camel hair ones are the nicest. Loro Piana is generally the best quality. Banana Republic usually does a nice cashmere or wool scarf at a good price. Then of course Target has been doing cashmere scarfs too.

14. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member

...Loro Piana is generally the best quality.
    Not to argue with your expertise KB but LP certainly is the best marketed from those that are high quality. There are others you know...

15. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

Banana Republic usually does a nice cashmere or wool scarf at a good price.

I picked one up last year from BR for $25 that is actually one of my faves...not that we get many scarf nites here in socal. I would love to expand my scarf wardrobe but it'd be a waste of $ with our weather.