• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you beat the heat?

E TF

Reaction score
I run kinda hot. It is a perennial problem for me to function in a suit and tie in summer without sweating like a paedophile in a playground. Here are some of the stratagems I've developed and tips I've picked up to help beat the heat.

1. Have a seasonal wardrobe. Back before I put much thought into these things, I just owned clothes. Now I own summer clothes and winter clothes. This may mean buying the same suit twice, just in different cloth, but the extra expense is worth it.

2. Arrange your life such that you are never in a rush or have to carry heavy things. This is no excuse to mince about with those silly little trolly bags at airports though. Buy manly luggage, pack light, or pay someone to carry it for you.

3. If you have a son, when he hits about thirteen, take him aside one day and tell him about the joys of fresco. His tailor probably won't; they only like to sell worsted.

4. Let go of your childhood peeves. We all know someone who refuses to eat some perfectly good foodstuff because they didn't like when they were a kid and haven't tried it since (they might claim to have an allergy: they're lying). Makes them look pretty stupid doesn't it? I had a linen shirt when I was about 14; I thought it was heavy, scratchy and funny looking. Put me off linen for years. What can I say - I was an idiot when I was 14. Weren't we all?

5. Wear hi-tech undershirts. Some time ago on his blog PG recommended UNIQLO's undershirts in some man-made wicking fibre to wear when things are getting sticky. I hadn't worn an undershirt since I was about ten, but decided to give it a go (see above). I thought an extra layer would just make me hotter - but guess what, he was right. Plus you can go around all day safe in the knowledge that there are no unsightly sweat marks showing through on your shirt, which is a great psychological bonus.

6. Merino socks are better than cotton. What madness is this? Will made this claim on his blog, and as he clearly knows his biscuits, I tried it one day. For the first time in my life I paid close attention to what was going on about my ankles. You know what's coming: Will was right. I still own and wear plenty of cotton lisle socks, but I don't hesitate to reach for the merino in summer now, especially if I'm going to be on my feet a lot that day.

So thanks Will, PG, SF and the internet in general. But if you want or need to stay smart in the summer, what do you do to beat the heat?

LeviMay

Reaction score
I find myself simply accepting the perspiration and drinking gin to excess, content in the knowledge that I look great, despite being, as you so aptly described it, "sticky".

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 on the high tech undershirts - they work!

-1 on drinking gin and sweating - doesn't the aroma of gin sweating out your pores worry you? :brick: You may not notice but I'm pretty sure those around you will.

junior varsity

Reaction score
i use this to avoid sweaty feet - works like no other

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"sweating like a paedophile in a playground."

:butbut:

Can't say I know the feeling.

1. Have a seasonal wardrobe.

Of course.

2. Arrange your life such that you are never in a rush or have to carry heavy things.
Not sure I agree with you there. When it is tropical here, there is nothing you can do.

3. If you have a son, when he hits about thirteen, take him aside one day and tell him about the joys of fresco.
Not sure how this beats the heat, or are we back to the playground and you need to be on the lamb.

4. Let go of your childhood peeves.
Um okay. I will not hate John Flasciano's money pen.... not sure how this relates but okay...

5. Wear hi-tech undershirts.

6. Merino socks are better than cotton.
Yes.

What do you do to beat the heat?
Linen, no tie, light colors.

Last edited:

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Linen,linen/silk, mohair or tropical weight wool jackets or slacks- I order my summer jackets either quarter lined or lined with ermazine- makes a big difference.
Linen or cotton voile shirts with no undershirt :eek:
Note: I don't sweat much and remember, shirts were originally underwear. ;)
No tie
Thin wool socks

Last edited:

E TF

Reaction score

Oddly my feet are usually ok. I'm a fan of Kiehl's products in general though - good stuff.

Linen,linen/silk, mohair or tropical weight wool jackets or slacks- I order my summer jackets either quarter lined or lined with ermazine- makes a big difference.
No tie
Thin wool socks

I've always been a bit putt off of by the shininess of silk or mohair blends but I'll have to give them a go sometime.
Yes I'd never wear an undershirt with linen - I guess it performs the same function by itself. I've never had a voile shirt - will order some for next summer.
Likewise I'm rarely in a tie in the summer, but sometimes they're required. Do you find that a linen tie helps? I've got a couple, I'm not sure if the difference is purely in my mind. Still I suppose that's enough, if it works.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oddly my feet are usually ok. I'm a fan of Kiehl's products in general though - good stuff.

No tie
Thin wool socks

I've always been a bit putt off of by the shininess of silk or mohair blends but I'll have to give them a go sometime.
Yes I'd never wear an undershirt with linen - I guess it performs the same function by itself. I've never had a voile shirt - will order some for next summer.
Likewise I'm rarely in a tie in the summer, but sometimes they're required. Do you find that a linen tie helps? I've got a couple, I'm not sure if the difference is purely in my mind. Still I suppose that's enough, if it works.

Embrace the sheen :devil:

Regarding ties, I don't think that it makes all that much difference (compared to no tie) but I'm usually wearing knit or linen ties when I can get away with it.

Last edited:

Bowtiedlad93

Reaction score
One trick I use for sweating is to use baby powder I dab it in areas prone to sweating and it really helps.

junior varsity

Reaction score

blackjack

Reaction score
The summer heat here is brutal. I've learnt to keep a spare dress shirt (folded) inside my bag for a quick-change when required. Also, the 'dry-tech' t-shirts from UniQlo help alot too. Dress shirts that immediately change color due to sweat get relegated to the back of the closet for now.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wonderful invention out there called a Panama Hat. A quality made one (example- Optimo) keeps the sun from beating on your melon and keeps you cool. Keep hydrated. Cold water on a hot day cools the body and your kidneys will thank you for it 40 years from now.

Last edited:

Wraitii

Reaction score
Yeah, if it's really too hot, there's also the "shower twice" method... Though you need access to a shower.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads