• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do Dolce & Gabbana suits fit?

Oscar

Reaction score
I was considering buying one on ebay but the measurements seem a little off to me. For a 42R suit from the F/W 06/07 collection the seller is stating that the shoulder measurement is 17.7" - is this correct? Isn't that 2" smaller than most 42R suits?
Is the suit cut so that it will just fit differently than most other suits?
I would go try one on at a store, but D&G isn't readily available my city.
Thanks!

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
he's probably measuring it incorrectly. You have 10 guys measure the same suit and you'll probably get a few different set of measures. A 17.7" shoulder is more typical of a size 38

I have one mainline (not D&G) Dolce & Gabbanna suit and it doesnt have narrow shoulders. But I'm sure the overall silhouette differs from season to season.

s4usea

Reaction score
I'm a 42R and the measurements sound right for a D&G as they're cut narrow.

That said, I get consistently good comments when I wear mine. However, the interior pockets are too deep so I have to fish for my billfold and/or glasses, and the lower interior pocket that I keep my cell phone in is just a tad too narrow so I have to struggle to get it out.

Alistair

Reaction score
A few months ago, I tried on a 42/43L at a Neiman Marcus "” didn't even know they made that size! "” and found that it was noticeably more snug around the chest and waist than other suits. It looked OK, but I found the fit unsuitable for my frame, compared to Canali and the like.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forget about the fit. D&G is considered the epitome of crassness in Italy, and it won't be long before this reputation reaches other shores.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by radicaldog
Forget about the fit. D&G is considered the epitome of crassness in Italy, and it won't be long before this reputation reaches other shores.
Nobody cares about brand unless you're wearing a sticker on your sleeve. Who cares waht some dudes in italy think? If the cut and price work, then anyone should wear D&G. Now maybe if you're talking about gold/silver giant plaques they put on their jeans and outerware, then it's a bit gaudy, but suits, who cares? It might be a correct measurement... in my experience D&G's tend to be relatively narrow cut. They're sort of meant for tall slender guys, like a Dior cut. Also, I know of at least 3 different models/cuts. Regular D&G, luxury line, and Martini line (the slimmest), so there might be differences depending on the model.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by radicaldog

Not really. I'm not a fan of their stuff but that just isn't true.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads