• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How consistent is your style?

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I was thinking about this today as I did a massive purge of the closet. I'd like to think that I've honed my aesthetic over time where most everything has a similar look. But, as I sifted through my gear, I realized things were all over the place. I have a lot of traditional American stuff (Brooks Bros, OCBDs, etc), some European things (sports jackets, shirts, shoes) some designer stuff, and a lot of casual gear, etc. I have jackets with wide lapels and those with slim lapels. Some subdued sweaters and some obnoxiously bright. I generally wear slim fitting trousers, but other times I like to wear it loose. There is probably a general "classic American" thread that runs throughout my wardrobe, but it's certainly a bit eclectic. I wondered how many guys have a more focused, singular style and who likes to mix it up.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Mostly English or English inspired. A smattering of Italian (even this is English inspired). A little trad. No designer stuff. Casual gear is 95% crap. Consistently crap, so there's something.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My general peices and what i wear daily are consistant, 3 peice suit, bowtie french cuff two toned colar and cuffs, pocket square and other acessories. i do wear diffrent colors and patterens, not the same kinds everyday. I have just about every color combination hanging in my closet.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I tend to be very consistent in what I wear. Sort of an updated traditional or classic American look. I strayed from this look for a few years and was caught up in a lot of fashion designer labels but have since returned to what sort of comes natural to me.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Eclectic. Used to be 50/50 with my streetwear but these days, I have less opportunity to wear streetwear and have gotten very comfortable with just being in a suit all the time.

Very inconsistent. I get distracted by new things all the time, some more ridiculous than others.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like all my stuff, so I guess it is consistent in that way. My suits etc are very consistent, my casual stuff a bit less so.

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been working on purging and getting down to the pieces I really like. Day to day my style is a preppier brand of streetwear I guess I would say, really have begun to focus on fit exclusively and am caring less and less about brand name, quality, etc every day. As somebody with a very slight build, I'm finally starting to realize fit is king.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to be fairly preppy but these days I tend towards continental European...whatever the heck that means. Makes sense to me though.

Biscione

Reaction score
It's all over the place.

I have no real dress obligations in my life, so I wear whatever I feel like when I wake up in the morning. One day that may mean a suit, the next it may mean Margiela.

However, I'm not without consistency. I suppose I've always loved Italian, English and some French dress, so that will always remain evident in whatever I wear.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Used to be just designer this, designer that. Now, I'm just trying to narrow down those designers.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just can't seem to get rid of a lot of my older stuff. But on a day with terrible weather (snowing and slushy/raining hard/100+ degree heat) I tend to wear my older stuff (Abercrombie/Hollister) which is not completely consistent with my new stuff (apc/designer).

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I try to keep things simple. I wind up with lots of the same shirt--all blue or white with blue stripes. I have an army of Brooks OCBDs I wear casually with jeans. For sportcoats I like tweedy English country patterns. I stay way from bright, loud colors--I like regimental stripes for my ties, for example. I wear the same chestnut alligator belt with everything.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Yeah, everything makes sense, if only in my own mind.

yep. most of my wardrobe is french or japanese...might be variety in cuts and styles, but the core theme's there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads