• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How An Off Duty Officer Should Dress

AndyMG

Reaction score
Saw this article in today's copy of The Sun (a tacky, Murdoch owned rag in the UK) about a Colonel issuing orders about how his officers should dress when off duty. I happen to agree with him. Not sure what a regimental 'zig-zag' tie is though!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...y-Colonels-funny-fashion-tips-for-troops.html

For those in the US, Gary Linekar used to be an England football (soccer) player. He now whores himself out selling crisps for a living.

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's pretty funny. I get a lot of flack from some guys in my unit whose wardrobes consist of NASCAR tshirts, denim shorts, and Carhartt jackets.

AndyMG

Reaction score
I think that's common everywhere. If I go out with friends for a drink and wear a sportscoat and a tucked in shirt, I get viewed with suspicion. And this is from people clad in Abercrombie and Fitch.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

AndyMG, the "zig-zag" tie is the Royal Artillery regimental tie.

I like the regimental socks. I may need to find me a pair of those...

Aqualung

Reaction score
Saw this article in today's copy of The Sun (a tacky, Murdoch owned rag in the UK) about a Colonel issuing orders about how his officers should dress when off duty. I happen to agree with him. Not sure what a regimental 'zig-zag' tie is though!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...y-Colonels-funny-fashion-tips-for-troops.html

For those in the US, Gary Linekar used to be an England football (soccer) player. He now whores himself out selling crisps for a living.

It's a Gunners tie. But don't wear stuff like this unless you were actually in the Royal artillery. Same with old school ties.

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh wow. They actually do reference the royal family for dress. I thought that was SF myth.

AndyMG

Reaction score
So that's what a zig-zag tie is. Never seen one before. Cheers guys.

That's the problem in the UK - some of the regimental ties look great, but wearing one, or one with a very similar pattern looks like you're trying to be something you're not.

I guess the solution if you want a tie with a regimental look is to go to Brooks Brothers and buy one where the stripes fall from the opposite side.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads