• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How about those Tigers?

wpeters

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film_Noir_Buff
What's more is Ive never encountered a pitcher throw an average of 5mph faster as he ages. It can definitely happen in the odd game but this guy has gone from an average of 88mph to one of 93-95mph? I would ask for a substance test.
I don't follow the Tigers, so I don't know if he has been hitting those numbers all season. But if it's just based on post-season play, it's likely the radar guns, and not steriods. The guns were reading so artificially high in the early series that even thick-skulled McCarver was commenting on it.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wpeters
I don't follow the Tigers, so I don't know if he has been hitting those numbers all season. But if it's just based on post-season play, it's likely the radar guns, and not steriods.

The guns were reading so artificially high in the early series that even thick-skulled McCarver was commenting on it.

Yeah, Im not sure if they didnt fix that for the WS.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only good thing from last night's terrible loss by the Tigers was the ball park organist. St Louis is probably one of the last places where one can hear an authentic, "live" musician at a ball game. I detest the canned music one hears in Comerica Park. I recall conductor Leonard Slatkin's comments about the ball park organist for the Cardinals. He wished that he could have such a job. I still remember the famous "Nancy" who used to play at the old Comiskey Park.

Unless the Tigs can get some hits, we're done. Nate Robinson did OK--keeping the Cardinals to just two runs. But he had no support.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clarinetplayer
Unless the Tigs can get some hits, we're done. Nate Robinson did OK--keeping the Cardinals to just two runs. But he had no support.

What is it with relievers and not being able to throw the ball to basemen?

Things can turn around quickly in baseball. Suppan may not be the lock everyone thinks he is.

Hopefully Pudge is alright.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is it with relievers and not being able to throw the ball to basemen?

Things can turn around quickly in baseball. Suppan may not be the lock everyone thinks he is.

Hopefully Pudge is alright.

Pudge looked like he was in BIG pain. I just heard that he is in the line up for tonight. I wish they would rest him for one day.

I thought the Detroit News said it best today:

Cy--Carpenter
Sigh--Robertson

I thought Nate did as well as expected. But what could he do with no supportive runs? I was impressed that he took his at bats with studied seriousness. He bunted better than some of our experts.

Today, some wag on the radio, suggested that Bonderman not even bother to take a bat to the plate. Just stand there and hope you get hit--just like Niefi Perez does.

I hope you are right about Suppan. If we can take one game in St Louis, we will right this sinking ship.

koobalicious

Reaction score
My parents are huge fans, so I bought them tickets for Game 2 as a surprise...they were so pumped. I hope the Tigers win the series, but at least they went to a memorable game if nothing else.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pudge looked like he was in BIG pain. I just heard that he is in the line up for tonight. I wish they would rest him for one day.

He got his extra day. He might get yet another with a second rain out tonight. He really is an amazing spark for a team. He helped bring down my Yankees in 2003.

I thought the Detroit News said it best today:

Cy--Carpenter
Sigh--Robertson

I thought Nate did as well as expected. But what could he do with no supportive runs? I was impressed that he took his at bats with studied seriousness. He bunted better than some of our experts.

That's funny. Robertson pitched just fine. But I agree with your statement. If you dont get any runs, you cant win, right?

I hope you are right about Suppan. If we can take one game in St Louis, we will right this sinking ship.

The Tigers are suffering from too much time off after their easy slicing through the AL playoffs. Maybe the same rigor mortis will set into the Cardinals. I really dont want the Cards to win.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In spite of the great performance by the Mighty Casey, the Tigers lost. Now, it all comes down to the rookie, Verlander.

I wish Leyland would change his mind and use Rogers.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In spite of the great performance by the Mighty Casey, the Tigers lost. Now, it all comes down to the rookie, Verlander.

I wish Leyland would change his mind and use Rogers.

What did I say about relief pitchers and over throws? Four pitching errors is really unbelievable. Granderson is wearing goat horns today. Honestly, the Tigers shouldve had it in the bag. Letting a mediocre journeyman like Eckstein beat you guys is amazing.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What did I say about relief pitchers and over throws? Four pitching errors is really unbelievable. Granderson is wearing goat horns today. Honestly, the Tigers shouldve had it in the bag. Letting a mediocre journeyman like Eckstein beat you guys is amazing.

All season long, the Tigers have demonstrated error free play. And now, this. All depends on what Verlander can do. If he brings his "A" game, we will be OK.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's no joy in Mudville.
The Cards won.

We were done in by our errors.
Weaver did a great job.

Who's my Tiger? Sean Casey.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It really is too bad that the Tigers will be remembered for all their errors in this Series. Especially when them just being in the thing is such a great story. This was the worst team in baseball for a long, long time.

A great year, only mildly tarnished by a crummy last week.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
It really is too bad that the Tigers will be remembered for all their errors in this Series. Especially when them just being in the thing is such a great story. This was the worst team in baseball for a long, long time.

A great year, only mildly tarnished by a crummy last week.

We are grateful for the season that brought baseball back to Detroit. It's been such a long time.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gold Glove winners (again):
Pudge (Ivan) Rodriguez
Kenny Rogers

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking forward, already, to next year's season as the Tigers have traded for Gary Sheffield who will be the new DH.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads