• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hotel shoe shine machine

supercarl

Reaction score
Does anybody know how much damae these can do to your shoes? Just that I used one (a foot operated one) last night, and it was suprisingly effective (on a pair of knockabout Loakes).

eh.gif

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the ones that spin and buff?? I don't see how these would do any damage...unless you got your laces caught.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dumb question:

Why is one side of these machines typically a different color than the other? I have usually seen red and black brushes.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's one in the bathroom at my office. I always use it when I hit the head.

A buddy of mine saw me doing it and subsequently tried them (on his un-polished KC's)...he couldn't figure out how he couldn't get the shine that I did.
plain.gif

I had to explain that my shoes a) were made of real leather and b) already had polish on them.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spertia
Dumb question:

Why is one side of these machines typically a different color than the other? I have usually seen red and black brushes.

The ONLY reason I could think of is so that you can keep your black and brown shoes separate so as not to inadvertently get leftover polish on the wrong shoe. Just my theory though.

shoesies

Reaction score
The reason for different colored brushes could be for differenty density of fabric, one could be for an initial cleaning and quite rash, and another with soft bristles for buffing?

shoesies

Reaction score
And im sure it could damage your shoes if there is dirt/mud from the bottom of someones shoes attached to the bristles - just make sure it's clean before using it!

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by embowafa
The ONLY reason I could think of is so that you can keep your black and brown shoes separate so as not to inadvertently get leftover polish on the wrong shoe. Just my theory though.
This is my understanding.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads