• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hot and Sour Soup

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Another New Yorker
Where would one find something like that. At any Chinese marketplace? Living in New York, there are an ample number of those.
I'm n my iPad so I can't fnd tons of images right now, but a one second google search gave me this hot n sour cup ramen version:

51eKc8nuBJL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To do it correctly, you must MUST must have szechuan peppercorns.

This is also one of my favorite foods. I also like the Thai version (tom yum), but a proper Chinese hot & sour soup is absolutely one of my favorite things.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by M. Bardamu
Major ingredient missing: red vinegar

I find the sharper and aggressive taste of black vinegar far better for cooking.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Another New Yorker
Where would one find something like that. At any Chinese marketplace? Living in New York, there are an ample number of those.
Try a Japanese market, ask for 'sanraatan' - though it's probably better to just call in an order for delivery Chinese.
redface.gif
x514980h_l.jpg
The next level for you dudes: hot n sour noodle soup (SField is gonna come in and say this looks gross
redface.gif
) http://img2.blogs.yahoo.co.jp/ybi/1/...2_1?1234090862

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
This is my go-to for recovering from races, long training runs, or colds. We have a place a few miles down the road that has an awesome hot and sour soup, I pass three other Chinese places to get there, and it's worth the drive just for the soup.

watsonlew

Reaction score
Use a soup stock,Use natural vinegar, Thicken soup first before egg drop,hickening is an art,Cut ingredients into similar sizes.you can follow like this and This pre-packed soup mix is really easy to use. There are instructions on the back of the packet.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
doesnt this normally have blood in it?

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not in anyplace that makes it in America that I know of.... but you have eaten it in some places where I would not be surprised if the answer is yes.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
doesnt this normally have blood in it?

nope, just chicken stock, meat, veggies and tofu.

btw- can't find it online but the classic recipe by Fu Pei Mei is tops, and easy to do.

tundrafour

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
To do it correctly, you must MUST must have szechuan peppercorns.

Does anybody have a good source for Szechuan peppercorns? Even the better ones I've found locally don't have nearly as much impact as those I had while visiting China.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tundrafour
Does anybody have a good source for Szechuan peppercorns? Even the better ones I've found locally don't have nearly as much impact as those I had while visiting China.
I get mine at the spice house in Chicago. I haven't been to China, so I can't compare w/ those. But I like what I get.

Renton

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tundrafour

I've tried a number of places and I've liked the Sichuan peppercorns from Williams Sonoma and Penzey's Spices the best.

Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
I get mine at the spice house in Chicago. I haven't been to China, so I can't compare w/ those. But I like what I get.

Love the Spice House, but I've gotten a lot seeds and stems the last few times I ordered Sichuan peppercorns from them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads