• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hong Kong Tailors - worth it with no fittings?

AmExPat

Reaction score
Having lurked on this site a long time I've been impressed by some of the suits that I have seen posted that people have commissioned in Hong Kong (though alot of unimpressive examples too). So anyways, I am finding myself being in Hong Kong soon & thought I would try things out (with the hopes of placing many future orders) and I made an appointment with WW Chan.

Now I have just found out that my trip will be cut and rather then the 2 weeks I was originally supposed to be there it will only be 4 days (& the 4th a Sunday to boot).

Question then is, would it even be worth my time (& money ) to see them for what would really just be getting measured & then having the finished suit mailed to me in the US with no fittings to speak of?

If someone knows of an alternative tailor that is high quality that could turn around a suit in that time frame I'm open to it, but I do not believe that is a possibility.

Thanks in advance for any input.

jasonsmith

Reaction score
hi amexpat,

it seems delivery of a suit in hong kong in four days would be unlikely for most tailors. if a tailor does offer such service, i'd be very wary of the quality being offered since this would require tailors to rush through the process and therefore not pay much attention to detail. from past experience, it would be better to have the tailors mail you a suit once you've had a chance for a fitting. 4 days for an initial fitting should work fine.

hope this helps.

j.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Better wait for next time, you don't want to waste your money.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It can be done by the better tailors, Chan and Yao if not particularly recommended. You would get measured whilst there and then they would post the finished product to you. It has risks and you should discuss that with them before commissioning.

Last edited:

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want bespoke only for the sake of saying "I own a bespoke suit" then of course you can do it and if you go to a reputable tailor like W.W. Chan you might even get a decent fit and a suit which is very well crafted. However, I have the feeling you really want to go this road to get the perfect fitting suit (the way it should be IMHO), in which case I recommend against commissioning a suit if you effectively have only 3 business days to make this happen.

When I had my first suit made at Chan, he made it clear that there need to be several days between selecting options / getting measured and the basted fitting. After the basted fitting another two days were be needed before I could have the first fitting with the completed suit and then another day was needed for a few additional adjustments. So a week is probably the minimum.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads