• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hong Kong Tailoring Style: a guest series on ASW

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
Will do you guys think of the Gordon Yao DB suit that posted (click thumbnail below for full size). I am not convinced that the horizontal spacing of the lower four buttons on the jacket is ideal.

The buttons look great to me.
The look emphasizes the V-shape of the jacket and makes the wearer appear lean and athletic (which he very well may be).

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
Will do you guys think of the Gordon Yao DB suit that posted (click thumbnail below for full size). I am not convinced that the horizontal spacing of the lower four buttons on the jacket is ideal.
Is this yours dah? it's disconcerting how all these Yao pics start showing up everywhere now; 3 months ago when I went to Yao there was only 1 on the whole net!! It looks very good to me, similar to the SB I got (posted in the 'Gordon Yao' thread here on SF)... though the waist suppression looks a bit severe, as it does on mine, and I'm curious if he gave you a largish skirt in the quarters area like he did on mine... it unflatteringly gives me somewhat womanly hips, which my other jackets with similar waist suppression don't have.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartorla
That's a shame.

- B

Customers were bringing in less than desirable material and at times it would be very difficult to work with.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Svenn
Is this yours dah? it's disconcerting how all these Yao pics start showing up everywhere now; 3 months ago when I went to Yao there was only 1 on the whole net!! It looks very good to me, similar to the SB I got (posted in the 'Gordon Yao' thread here on SF)... though the waist suppression looks a bit severe, as it does on mine, and I'm curious if he gave you a largish skirt in the quarters area like he did on mine... it unflatteringly gives me somewhat womanly hips, which my other jackets with similar waist suppression don't have.

You mean you don't have womanly hips?
devil.gif

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
Customers were bringing in less than desirable material and at times it would be very difficult to work with.

Great deflect on the part of Chan. Well-played! More realistically, he likes the added income from the cloth mark-up
laugh.gif

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This one to follow. Thanks.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bull
Great deflect on the part of Chan. Well-played! More realistically, he likes the added income from the cloth mark-up
laugh.gif

What do you think is the markup?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Svenn
No, it's not mine, but I do have a Yao DB of which I may post pics. It looks quite a bit like the one on Will's blog.

tchoy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had used Gordon Yao to make me a suit last time I was in Hong Kong, overall it was a pleasant experience. A few minor issues but for a first time it turn out not too bad. The fabric was a Fox Flannel which I supply. Normally I use WW Chan when I am in Hong Kong. Since Chan doesn't do CMT I decided to try out Yao on this trip.The lighter grey check is the Yao.
GordonYao.jpg
Chan.jpg

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
tchoy,
I think Yao did a better job than Chan. The sleeves look cleaner, Chan's has some serious torquing going on. Also buttoning point on Chan looks a tad too high.
The only thing I like better about the Chan are the slightly more rounded off quarters.

The yao has some slight rumpling going on on the right chest and waist. Do you have a lower right shoulder by any chance?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads