1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: Member pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by vero_group, Jul 2, 2003.

1. mistersurgery

mistersurgery Member

FIH, thank you for the edification. I do not know ernest, and therefore am not familiar with his humor.

Labelking, the tie is Zegna, as you were wondering.

Cheers,
    Mike

2. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

(LabelKing @ June 05 2005,10:01)
    I'm on the left. http://img136.echo.cx/my.php?image=c...otos0180fp.jpg
    Please go outside and give this tie to an homeless...

Really quite a priceless comment.
    I like helping people . In this case it will help 2 people, one guy will get rid of an horrible tie and the other guy could use it for an interview and hang himself once he failed the interview because of the tie .
    What would you know about job interviews, Ernest? koji

3. marc237

marc237 Senior member

Also, Ernest is a fairly conservative dresser. I like his look and it works for him, but he is not a fan of bold patterns and colors.

4. marc237

marc237 Senior member

Mr. Checks and Ernest:

Thanks for the comments. To answer a couple of questions, the outfit is relatively new - the suit was from the Paul Stuart sample sale, the tie is Tyrwhytt, and the shirt is Jantzen Tailor. Although not evident is the pictures, the shoes were A&E.

The photo is not of Romney, but of a former past president of the Assoc. of the Bar of the City of New York. The photo was taken during a reception and award ceremony and the venue is the reception hall.

5. JohnMS

JohnMS Senior member

mistersurgery,

Like the tie.

6. Roy

Roy Senior member

(ernest @ June 05 2005,10:29)

I like helping people . In this case it will help 2 people, one guy will get rid of an horrible tie and the other guy could use it for an interview and hang himself once he failed the interview because of the tie .
    Enough not to go to one.

7. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

(Thracozaag @ June 06 2005,15:53)

Enough not to go to one.
    LOL; touche. koji

8. naturlaut

naturlaut Senior member

Wow, Ernest's English has gotten a lot better since the beginning.

9. mistersurgery

mistersurgery Member

Thanks, JohnMS.

Cheers,
    Mike

10. ernest

ernest Senior member

Thanks for the compliment.

Actually, i don't like the pattern of the tie (too exotic).

I like orange/blue striped ties. And i guess orange is rather bright.

11. ernest

ernest Senior member

Thanks.

I have been trying to improve it for 10 months now.

I am more confortable with my English but I still have much to learn (phrasal verbs, idioms, adverbs, conjonctions...) to have a good English.

What is better in my English IYO?

12. mistersurgery

mistersurgery Member

Ernest, to be honest, I was impressed that you used "an horrible tie" rather than "a horrible tie" which most people mistakenly say and write. I didn't realize that English was not your native tongue, and I was impressed with your grammar. Except for when you were slagging my tie. [​IMG]

13. ernest

ernest Senior member

Nothing to be impressed with... I looked at your tie one more tie and i must confess it is not too bad for one reason = it matches with your teeth.... So please, instead of wearing yellow ties, change your teeth . Did anybody try to whiten his teeth ? I know this is very common in the US. This is rather new in France (may be 5 years). For the moment my teeth are white enough to avoid yellow ties but I may try it the future. Your suit is odd at the level of the pocket = we see the sewing. Is it normal ?

14. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

"Ernest, to be honest, I was impressed that you used "an horrible tie" rather than "a horrible tie" which most people mistakenly say and write."

Oh, for God's sake, another snooty grammarian who is wrong. Let me explain: "an" was used for a time in Britain before words beginning with "h" because the "h," which originally was a glottal fricative (think of the Scottish pronunciation of Loch) softened so much that, for many English speakers, it disappeared altogether. Those people would have pronounced "horrible" as "orrible." Since the new pronunciation begins with a vowel sound, the article "an" was used, as it always is before vowel sounds.

However, the vast majority of English speakers now actually pronounce the "h" at the beginnings of words. Since this produces a consonant sound, the article "a" is used. The use of "an" before a word that begins with "h" is, in fact, the mistake, based purely on the way these words used to be pronounced by some.

By the way, most words that begin with silent "h's" now are also a byproduct of that very same movement. Notice that in many old documents, words such as "history" and "horrible" may have been spelled with or without the "h." When it was recognized that the consonant was being pronounced by most people, an effort in the education system was made to standardize the spellings with the "h." However, many words, such as "onour" and "our" were dragged along mistakenly because of the masses of people who were learning this rule. These resulted in today's words "honor," "hour," and so forth, words that were NEVER pronounced with initial consonants.

Therefore, there is no reason whatsoever to continue insisting that people say and write "an history," etc.

15. Matt

Matt Senior member

and its stuff like this which makes english such a pain in the ass to learn for guys like ernest

16. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

17. Andrew V.

Andrew V. Senior member

18. kabert

kabert Senior member

Man oh man. Nice explanation teacher. If you go by whether the word is spoken to start with a vowel sound rather than whether it actually starts with a vowel, then you'll never go wrong.

19. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG] Vintage Penguin polo, Paper Denim & Cloth GTO 1-Year jeans

20. Xavie

Xavie New Member