• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Highly Underrated/Unknown Movies

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just saw Killing Them Softly, it's actually a lot better than what the reviews had lead me to believe,

I enjoyed it. Bitter, out of control James Gandolfini was worth the price of admission. "You want a tip?..."

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
prob posted....but i really like The Bank Job......

billsayers

Reaction score

The Guard. No one still knows about this movie. Its WAY too funny and well acted to be this underrated.

Cheadle was in that, dude. How can that be unknown?

Ask anyone you know if they've seen it. I don't even think it got released stateside.

The Guard was a good movie. Tongue-in-cheek with a sly wit. I actually saw this in a small theater in Southern California so it was released in the U.S. but to say it was a limited release would be to put it mildly.

One of my all-time favorite movie is Paris, Texas by Wim Wenders. Not sure if it really qualifies as Underrated/Unknown but it was released in 1984 and a lot of people I spoke with never heard of it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087884/

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Has Heathers been mentioned yet? So morbid, so funny.

I love my dead gay son!

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Just saw Killing Them Softly, it's actually a lot better than what the reviews had lead me to believe, also Rock and Rule, Electroma and Valhalla Rising.

I enjoyed it. Bitter, out of control James Gandolfini was worth the price of admission. "You want a tip?..."

Good movie. Loved the last line... "America's not a country, its just a business. Now ******* pay me."

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Defending Your Life is a lot better than it's BO would indicate. While there are some massive directorial mistakes, Albert Brooks' easy touch with sad-sack comedy timing carries it through.

lefty

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ravenous
Rogue Trader
Welcome to the Dollhouse
Before Sunrise
But I'm a Cheerleader
Clockwatchers
L.I.E
Booty Call
Bravo Two Zero
Retroactive

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Before Sunrise is great, but I'm not sure I would call it unknown or underrated. it's an acknowledged classic.

Lionheart Biker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Game
Definitely one of my most favorite from Fincher.

Awesome movie. Have not seen it in a while, but I enjoyed it a lot every time I watched it.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Again, not sure how The Game is underrated or unknown. 100M BO and a critical darling.

After Hours, underrated Scorsese. ****** BO and mixed reviews, but a hell of a lot of fun.

lefty

mrcmcklwht

Reaction score
After Hours, underrated Scorsese. ****** BO and mixed reviews, but a hell of a lot of fun.

lefty
Didn't like it the first time I saw it as a youngster, for some reason. Loved it when I watched it again a year ago. Rosanna Arquette is amazing in it

Two british shipwrecked movies
Paradise Lagoon (1957) also known as The Admirable Crichton
The Little Hut (1957)

TV someone might have missed
The Flame Trees of Thika (1981) (TV Mini-Series)
Danger UXB (1979)
Slings and Arrows (2003)

This one below only has 5.2 on IMDB, I really like it
Oh Heavenly Dog (1980)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads