1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Highly Underrated/Unknown Movies

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by L.R., Jan 21, 2010.

1. javyn

javyn Senior member

Saw this one last week. OMFG..."American Masterpiece" describes it perfectly. Michael Shannon is the best damn actor around today I think.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. epb

epb Senior member

Well, he was good in Groundhog Day.

3. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

He was quite good in Bug too.

4. Pennglock

Pennglock Senior member

I thought the ending was crap. Murdering the shit out of his family in that bunker was the only honest way to end the story.

5. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

For your consideration: Powder - the reason I bring this up is because it's a "mutant superhero" movie long before the X-Men movies came out (I know the comics long preceded Powder) and is definitely more of a drama genre than action and conveys the feeling of alienation very well.

1 person likes this.
  6. Hombre Secreto

Hombre Secreto Senior member

LOL

I remember that movie from school when the young skanks would say they thought he was cute.

Movie is trippy when you're faded.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  7. OliverGauffe

OliverGauffe Senior member

Well known but perhaps overlooked today... happened to catch Saturday Night Fever last night... I had never noticed how it is a scathing portrait of the late 60s generation in NY, the "nowhere" generation who started going to clubs and creating a different lifestyle from the traditions of the 50s... they have shitty jobs and "no future"... yes its another 70s movie about how dancing solves everything but still... Travolta is absolutely brilliant as the dumb Italian kid who just wants to get laid. When his brother quits the priesthood, he starts to experience cognitive dissonance... I was glued the whole time visually... it almost seems like a period piece today...

8. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Saturday Night Fever is great.

9. javyn

javyn Senior member

This was filmed in Houston, and many of my theater club friends from HS were in it as extras / bullies at the school.

edit: It was still a friggin stupid ass movie.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  10. javyn

javyn Senior member

Wait...what? The way the film ended was the best, most honest way to end it. It was perfect start to finish.

The film was a big ass metaphor for American middle class financial anxiety after all.

I liked how the only representative of the 1% in the film was the high priced shrink at the very end who advised them to go on that vacation they had been planning, even though they were already most likely not going to be able to afford the kid's procedure, and are already on the ropes with that ruinous home improvement loan he took out, thus ensuring their financial ruin, making the 'storm' visible to the entire family at the end. The "happy" part of the ending was the family was to face their ruin together, as a family

Jeff Nichols has quite a career in front of him.

edit 2: It was also refreshing to see mental illness portrayed in a non-exploitative...even compassionate, way. Kudos to Nichols for that.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  11. wojt

wojt Senior member

next time plz use spoiler tags :/

12. javyn

javyn Senior member

It didn't really ruin anything, but don't read anything else about it before you see it, if you intend to.