• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Highly Underrated/Unknown Movies

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LOL

I remember that movie from school when the young skanks would say they thought he was cute.

Movie is trippy when you're faded.

Last edited:

OliverGauffe

Reaction score
Well known but perhaps overlooked today... happened to catch Saturday Night Fever last night... I had never noticed how it is a scathing portrait of the late 60s generation in NY, the "nowhere" generation who started going to clubs and creating a different lifestyle from the traditions of the 50s... they have ****** jobs and "no future"... yes its another 70s movie about how dancing solves everything but still... Travolta is absolutely brilliant as the dumb Italian kid who just wants to get laid. When his brother quits the priesthood, he starts to experience cognitive dissonance... I was glued the whole time visually... it almost seems like a period piece today...

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Saturday Night Fever is great.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

For your consideration: Powder - the reason I bring this up is because it's a "mutant superhero" movie long before the X-Men movies came out (I know the comics long preceded Powder) and is definitely more of a drama genre than action and conveys the feeling of alienation very well.

This was filmed in Houston, and many of my theater club friends from HS were in it as extras / bullies at the school.

edit: It was still a friggin stupid ass movie.

Last edited:

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I thought the ending was crap. Murdering the **** out of his family in that bunker was the only honest way to end the story.

Wait...what? The way the film ended was the best, most honest way to end it. It was perfect start to finish.

The film was a big ass metaphor for American middle class financial anxiety after all.

I liked how the only representative of the 1% in the film was the high priced shrink at the very end who advised them to go on that vacation they had been planning, even though they were already most likely not going to be able to afford the kid's procedure, and are already on the ropes with that ruinous home improvement loan he took out, thus ensuring their financial ruin, making the 'storm' visible to the entire family at the end. The "happy" part of the ending was the family was to face their ruin together, as a family

Jeff Nichols has quite a career in front of him.

edit 2: It was also refreshing to see mental illness portrayed in a non-exploitative...even compassionate, way. Kudos to Nichols for that.

Last edited:

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I thought the ending was crap. Murdering the **** out of his family in that bunker was the only honest way to end the story.

next time plz use spoiler tags :/

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

next time plz use spoiler tags :/

It didn't really ruin anything, but don't read anything else about it before you see it, if you intend to.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads