• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Higher end OTR suiting (I.e. Isaia) v. Mid range MTM (i.e. Blank Label Etc.)?

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am in the process of picking out a suit for my wedding. I’m 6’ 175 lbs. athletic but not bulky...OTR usually fits me pretty well with very minor alterations. I like the fit of some of the Zegna offerings as well as Boglioli and Zegna mainline. I prefer slim, fitted suiting.

I have yet to venture into MTM, I can not afford (nor do I want to spend) the $$ it would take for say Isaia MTM but rather something along the lines of blank label which has two fitting shops here in Boston.

I was wondering which is a better option to go with? A higher end OTR suit with minor alterations or a mid range MTM and if the latter, is it best to utilize a company that can measure you in person v. Some of these online retailers that use pictures and the like.

Thank you in advance.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go with OTR if you like the selections.
I have done both. Unfortunately, even with
professional measuring by manufacturer's reps
at trunk shows, for example, things go wrong.
This happened to me at Saks, Brooks years ago
under the "real" Brooks and Chipp( winston
tailors) When MTM goes well, it's better than OTR,
especially when your personal preferences are
included in the finished garment. Also, for obvious
reasons, fit should be better.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go with OTR if you like the selections.
I have done both. Unfortunately, even with
professional measuring by manufacturer's reps
at trunk shows, for example, things go wrong.
This happened to me at Saks, Brooks years ago
under the "real" Brooks and Chipp( winston
tailors) When MTM goes well, it's better than OTR,
especially when your personal preferences are
included in the finished garment. Also, for obvious
reasons, fit should be better.

Thanks for the insight, while I like the OTR, I haven't experienced MTM so dont know if I'd like that better.. the pricing seems like it would almost be similar, again if going with a mid range MTM company. I have about 80 days till the wedding so still some time, but I would likely need to get going on the MTM next week if going that route.

I am assuming with shirts its always better to go MTM?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If OTR fits you well with minimal alterations then IMO no reason to go for 'lower' quality MTM unless you are looking for a fabric or style that you can't find OTR. The upsides of MTM are the potential for a better fit along with fabric and styling selections. However it can, and does, happen that MTM ends up with a worse fit than OTR. Compare this to OTR when you can actually try on the suit and so if it fits well, you have zero risk in terms of fit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads