• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mikealvaa

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am a 25 year old professional located in NY. blah, blah blah..

So I just landed a position as a paralegal at a big firm in my area. While I do not wish to eventually become an attorney. I do want to possibly advance my career as a paralegal. And my appearance needs to match my work ethic.

This finds me on the market for new suits, possibly 2-3 at about $1,3000 - $1,500 each.

I know my options are slim so I am open to OTR or MTM.

- Based of some research, Ive come to the conclusion that my best MTM options are Mr. Ned, Martin Greenfield, and Suitsupply.

Can anyone recommend one over the other? why? possible photos?
----
-
As for OTR im considering paying regular price for a suit in the $1,300 range and getting it altered.

(Brooks Brothers, Ring Jacket (The Armoury) or maybe Suitsupply as well.)

OR

Shop the Saks, NM and Barneys outlets around me and possibly find some E Zenga, HF, Canali or Isaia suits in a 36 or 38R and get those altered as well

As I mentioned before I am located in NY so I have all 5 boroughs to explore.

BTW: I am about 5'8-5'9 and 155 lbs
Ive always had a skinny frame but I have leaned up over the years

oh and I have pretty massive calves and thighs because of hs & college soccer

I also tend to lean more towards the slimmer fitting , less boxy fitting suits, but NOT skin tight. I really like the way suitsupply and the armoury have their catalogues

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whatever you do, do not order 3 at a time.

I've used MG. They do a good job, price will be around $1.4k. Fit will be good but not that modern.

ThomGault

Reaction score
Do you currently own any suits? If so, how do they fit? Have you tried other OtR suit options for fit? If OtR works for you, there isn't really a need for MtM, unless you want specific details.

TimmyL

Reaction score
I think Saks is having some discounts right now, also off 5th. The one I went to have a lot of Canali/ EZ/ Brioni/ RL inventory. If they happened to fit might save you some money.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Barneys Warehouse is having an enormous sale right now, and you'll be able to get some essentials if your size is available. I'm actually a fan of its house brand suits, which are of adequate quality and pretty good cloth. I bought them when I was on a huge budget, and they still get wear as I graduated into a few higher tiers.

Benjamin at ehaberdasher has a really good reputation.

The best recommendation is to start slow and find a good alterations tailor. I recommend Wazin on 57th and 6th. I assume many other New Yorkers would echo that. Full disclosure. He's not cheap.

mikealvaa

Reaction score
Whatever you do, do not order 3 at a time.

I've used MG. They do a good job, price will be around $1.4k. Fit will be good but not that modern.

You bring up a good point. I should probably purchase one suit and base my future decisions on that. I will consider MG, but I do prefer a modern slimmer fit.

Do you currently own any suits? If so, how do they fit? Have you tried other OtR suit options for fit? If OtR works for you, there isn't really a need for MtM, unless you want specific details.

I own some cheap HM suits and some J.Crew. I never really needed a quality suit until now. OTR might work for me if I get lucky, but my options are limited with fabric and such.

I think Saks is having some discounts right now, also off 5th. The one I went to have a lot of Canali/ EZ/ Brioni/ RL inventory. If they happened to fit might save you some money.

I was thinking this. I live fairly close to the Woodbury Commons Outlet in NY.

Barneys Warehouse is having an enormous sale right now, and you'll be able to get some essentials if your size is available. I'm actually a fan of its house brand suits, which are of adequate quality and pretty good cloth. I bought them when I was on a huge budget, and they still get wear as I graduated into a few higher tiers.

Benjamin at ehaberdasher has a really good reputation.

I will consider Barney's house brand.

The best recommendation is to start slow and find a good alterations tailor. I recommend Wazin on 57th and 6th. I assume many other New Yorkers would echo that. Full disclosure. He's not cheap.

I will look into Wazin. I have been looking for a better tailor in NYC.

You're willing to spend between 1,300 and 1,500 per suit and you think your options are limited?

KentWang.com

I just looked into Kent Wang and I do like his overall aesthetic. The prices and quality seem to be right in my budget as well.

Thank you everyone for your responses. After further research, I am leaning towards Suitsupply or Kent Wang for MTM. Ive noticed that everyone praises Suitsupply for what it offers (Full Canvas MTM) while the Kent Wang brand seems to get the modern look I prefer. Can anyone give me their opinion on why ones better than the other?

I have looked into Mr. Ned but I could not find any of his suits anywhere. Also, I hear his cut is boxy.

I have not ruled out any OTR options either. If I get lucky, great. But I feel I am safer going the MTM route due to more options.

If anyone has any other opinions or advice, feel free below

*Side note*

I was wondering if any of the MTM above has the option to remove any and every label on the inside lining of the jacket (fabric label, brand, fabric count).

I know its a bit of an odd request but I would rather have ONLY my initials embroidered on the inside pocket of the suit, nothing else. I just feel like its a more personal suit that way.

Last edited:

ThomGault

Reaction score
You bring up a good point. I should probably purchase one suit and base my future decisions on that. I will consider MG, but I do prefer a modern slimmer fit.

I own some cheap HM suits and some J.Crew. I never really needed a quality suit until now. OTR might work for me if I get lucky, but my options are limited with fabric and such.

I was thinking this. I live fairly close to the Woodbury Commons Outlet in NY.

I will look into Wazin. I have been looking for a better tailor in NYC.

I just looked into Kent Wang and I do like his overall aesthetic. The prices and quality seem to be right in my budget as well.

Thank you everyone for your responses. After further research, I am leaning towards Suitsupply or Kent Wang for MTM. Ive noticed that everyone praises Suitsupply for what it offers (Full Canvas MTM) while the Kent Wang brand seems to get the modern look I prefer. Can anyone give me their opinion on why ones better than the other?

I have looked into Mr. Ned but I could not find any of his suits anywhere. Also, I hear his cut is boxy.

I have not ruled out any OTR options either. If I get lucky, great. But I feel I am safer going the MTM route due to more options.

If anyone has any other opinions or advice, feel free below
I wouldn't pick SuitSupply at all. Many of their designs are bad. Some SF members find decent models, but there are many examples of poor MtM results from them. Before venturing into MtM at all, I'd try as many OtR options as possible to gain perspective and knowledge.

starro

Reaction score
Pursue the "modern slim fit" in moderation. Hipster skinny fit and career advancement are antithetical.

Also, unless you need the new suits for tomorrow, it doesn't hurt to browse and figure out the specifics of what you like and need. You are much more likely to get better quality on the same budget.

mikealvaa

Reaction score
Pursue the "modern slim fit" in moderation. Hipster skinny fit and career advancement are antithetical.

Also, unless you need the new suits for tomorrow, it doesn't hurt to browse and figure out the specifics of what you like and need. You are much more likely to get better quality on the same budget.

Well when I say "modern slim fit" I just mean a more hour glass shape. I actually cant stand a suit thats skin tight.
---
A good example would be the fit in the photo below. I took it from Kent Wang's blog. I would want my suits to ideally fit like this.

tumblr_o0x3n5oKGr1qex49ko1_500.jpg

If Kent Wang can make me something that I look like this in for $1300 with full canvas construction, I think ive found my guy.

Last edited:

mikealvaa

Reaction score
I wouldn't pick SuitSupply at all. Many of their designs are bad. Some SF members find decent models, but there are many examples of poor MtM results from them. Before venturing into MtM at all, I'd try as many OtR options as possible to gain perspective and knowledge.

Can you elaborate a bit more? What do you mean by bad designs? fabric? lapel width? And if I choose Suitsupply, I would visit one of the NYC brick and mortar locations for a fitting. I feel like that would help the process. I dont see the point in online MTM when I am right outside NYC.

Last edited:

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude.....you can get many brand new and vey nice suits here in the forum for a fraction of the cost. PM me for details....I'm about to list a couple in your size

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well when I say "modern slim fit" I just mean a more hour glass shape.

I think what you mean is that you want a jacket with some shape in the waist. Such a thing isn't necessarily "slim fit." Indeed, very full fitting jackets can have a shaped waist. I prefer a fuller fit but also some shape in the waist, which can easily be achieved.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also, in regard to Suit Supply, they are fine. The key is to completely ignore the salesperson's advice. They are trained to recommend the company's default fit, which is super tight. Thus, they are likely to recommend a jacket and trousers that are at least a size too small. What you should be doing is gaining a knowledge of what a good fit entails for yourself, and then use that knowledge to pick a size for yourself.

starro

Reaction score
Well when I say "modern slim fit" I just mean a more hour glass shape. I actually cant stand a suit thats skin tight.
---
A good example would be the fit in the photo below. I took it from Kent Wang's blog. I would want my suits to ideally fit like this.

tumblr_o0x3n5oKGr1qex49ko1_500.jpg

If Kent Wang can make me something that I look like this in for $1300 with full canvas construction, I think ive found my guy.

That's a good look, but it's been around as long as we had Western tailoring, so I wouldn't call it modern. My nuanced suggestion for you, if you want to hear it, is to emphasize the widenss of the shoulder rather than the narrowness of the waist. For 3 reasons:
  1. Age: At 25 (unless you're abnormally balding or some such, in which case I'm sorry for you) your goal at work is to look older and more mature than your biological years. While no argument that the hourglass figure is aesthetically pleasing, it also suggests femininity. A drape cut, in my view, is preferable to a tight waist. But of course, no one knows your physique better than you, so YMMV.
  2. Profession: Law in general is quite conservative. Most of the partners are in boxy, padded shoulder suits, not Neapolitan unstructured. So while you are wise to seek a better fit that OTR Brooks Brothers, straying too far from the overall design and silhouette may not be so wise, especially for a paralegal at the beginning of his career.
  3. Location: NYC is on the conservative side of the spectrum. So unless you're in a specialty like entertainment or digital law, most of the clients you'd interface are probably like Wall Street or C-suite executives. Guess how do most of them look? Fuller cut American silhouette.
Just some nuances to consider as you make a significant investment in your wardrobe. For $1500 you are certainly entitled to having most of your wishes exactly met. Another reason I suggested you take it slow, do some research, get a sense of the market, is that you'd find deals and tailors you'd otherwise miss if you rushed in at retail prices. Kent Wang doesn't do sales, and his service is worth every dollar he charges. The same cannot be said of most of his competitors.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads