• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

high collar shirt buttoned up without a tie

jellyfish

Reaction score
in a page of GQ, Tony Blair wears an interno 8 white shirt with a 3-button collar. He has the high collar buttoned up without a tie. I think it smart and wanna try this no-tie look evan without a suit. What's your comment on it? and what if black buttons on black shirt, or white buttons on white shirt, collar buttoned without a tie? and what if a contrast-collar shirt?
1087205221_foto-approfondimento_10.1gqnov02inside1_f.jpg

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think contrast-color collars and contrast buttons are crass. Without those two elements, the high-collar look can be a subtle but clever way to stand out a bit.

What's up with those shoes? Ridiculous, the PM wearing Diesel?. Can we get a higher-resolution scan?

Smooth Jazz

Reaction score
GQ needs to reinstate their "Our occasional lapses in judgement" column from the 1980s . . .

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That ensemble looks incomplete.

Besides, Tony Blair does not look like Tony Blair here; he vaguely resembles a thinner, and taller Jean-Paul Gaultier.

Yes, I agree about the dark buttons being rather base looking. Especially paired with those multiple-buttoned collar stances.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think contrast-color collars and contrast buttons are crass. Without those two elements, the high-collar look can be a subtle but clever way to stand out a bit.

What's up with those shoes? Ridiculous, the PM wearing Diesel?. Can we get a higher-resolution scan?
Apparently the shoes cited are by Jil Sander.

dorian

Reaction score

The shoes are Jil Sander....

BTW, the photo is a mock up of how GQ suggests Blair might dress (assuming he was on crack, maybe?).

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(Kent Wang @ May 10 2005,19:20) I think contrast-color collars and contrast buttons are crass. Without those two elements, the high-collar look can be a subtle but clever way to stand out a bit. What's up with those shoes? Ridiculous, the PM wearing Diesel?. Can we get a higher-resolution scan?
The shoes are Jil Sander.... BTW, the photo is a mock up of how GQ suggests Blair might dress (assuming he was on crack, maybe?).
Assuming he was attempting to be hip. Tony Blair doesn't dress very well even if he did wear those tongue in cheek paul Smith shirts with the nude ladies handpainted inside the cuffs.

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the multi-button collar look, but I think it's much better unbuttoned. Buttoned, it still looks too Russian Mafia.

Ridiculous, the PM wearing Diesel?.
Besides Tony Blair does not look like Tony Blair here

British GQ is a little more tongue-in-cheek than its US brother. In this article, they decided to give Tony a series of hip new looks through the magic of Photoshop.

British GQ, to me, always has a vibe of "we know this is going to look silly in a couple of years, but dammit, we're going to do it anyway, because it's fun." US GQ has a more un-ironic view of style in general.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh dear god.

I'm blind.

I have no idea where to begin...

The 3-button's are too much, especially for his neck, plus sans tie with both the shirt and the suit buttoned up looks atrocious. Whilst pinstripes are ok, those contrast lapel ends are dreadful, same goes with the bling-bling cufflinks; perhaps they should take a look at cuffthis' wonderful collection for proper examples.

The massive flap pockets with contrasting facing and overlapping ticket pocket is just so frightening I have no words to truly explain my horror...damn you, Paul Smith.

The shoes are cool (for driving), but completely inappropriate for use with a suit, although the suit / shirt / cufflink combination is so ridiculous and laughable, that the shoes at this point could matter less.

If you need buzzwords ("˜thinking outside the box') to sell the paired look, you have neither skill as a salesperson nor as a designer, time to look for employment elsewhere.

The PM of England should settle for the crappy completely fad-based Cartier Roadster? At least get the man a white gold Cartier Pasha to wear.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh dear god. I'm blind. I have no idea where to begin... The 3-button's are too much, especially for his neck, plus sans tie with both the shirt and the suit buttoned up looks atrocious. Whilst pinstripes are ok, those contrast lapel ends are dreadful, same goes with the bling-bling cufflinks; perhaps they should take a look at cuffthis' wonderful collection for proper examples. The massive flap pockets with contrasting facing and overlapping ticket pocket is just so frightening I have no words to truly explain my horror...damn you, Paul Smith. The shoes are cool (for driving), but completely inappropriate for use with a suit, although the suit / shirt / cufflink combination is so ridiculous and laughable, that the shoes at this point could matter less. If you need buzzwords ("˜thinking outside the box') to sell the paired look, you have neither skill as a salesperson nor as a designer, time to look for employment elsewhere. The PM of England should settle for the crappy completely fad-based Cartier Roadster, at least get the man a white gold Cartier Pasha to wear.
I prefer the Cartier Crash rather than the Pasha, which apart from its name of Royal Egyptian lineage, is far apart from that legacy.
CartierCrashFront.jpeg

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS,May 10 2005,19:35
Oh dear god. I'm blind. I have no idea where to begin... The 3-button's are too much, especially for his neck, plus sans tie with both the shirt and the suit buttoned up looks atrocious. Whilst pinstripes are ok, those contrast lapel ends are dreadful, same goes with the bling-bling cufflinks; perhaps they should take a look at cuffthis' wonderful collection for proper examples. The massive flap pockets with contrasting facing and overlapping ticket pocket is just so frightening I have no words to truly explain my horror...damn you, Paul Smith. The shoes are cool (for driving), but completely inappropriate for use with a suit, although the suit / shirt / cufflink combination is so ridiculous and laughable, that the shoes at this point could matter less. If you need buzzwords ("˜thinking outside the box') to sell the paired look, you have neither skill as a salesperson nor as a designer, time to look for employment elsewhere. The PM of England should settle for the crappy completely fad-based Cartier Roadster, at least get the man a white gold Cartier Pasha to wear.
I prefer the Cartier Crash rather than the Pasha, which apart from its name of Royal Egyptian lineage, is far apart from that legacy.
CartierCrashFront.jpeg

The thing is he needs to be taken seriously, thus a serious watch for a serious job. If not, he could wear something silly like an Alain Silberstein:
35254073-5.jpg
Jon.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
LabelKing,

Actually the watch was made for the Pasha of Marrakesh.

Jon.
Ah, I stand corrected.

I was thinking all day of Egyptain royalty for one reason or another. The Pasha Muhammad Ali was on my mind although he lived in an entirely different time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads