• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help Wanted from the Fashion Forward: Reinventing the Wardrobe

MarineHillsTuff

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Peter1
I'm gonna say that you need to decide which you want to do first: Get yourself in shape or get new clothes. Because if you ditch your old gear and spend $$ on clothing, then lose weight or change your shape thru lifting, you're going to have to start from scratch again.

Before you decide, know that a lot of fashion/style clothing cuts are based on physically fit or slender fit models. IMO a better investment than clothing or a personal shopper would be a personal trainer. I don't know your bone structure but if you can get down to, say, a 32-34 waist and 40-42" chest you'll be able to fit in most designer's L sizes. Anything bigger than a 36" waist and 44" chest and you're back to the mall brands -- or at least severely limited in your choices.

Besides, if you get in shape, then drop a ton of dough on clothes, that will incentive to stay fit.

Good luck...

I'm comfortably a 36'' waist now. I have very broad shoulders from sports a few years ago, and still have a pretty massive chest at about 48''. I'm not "fat" .. Just a little bit of a gut. Which will go away by winter (working hard on that as well). I've thought a lot about this as well... I guess with that much more information, what do you think?

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MarineHillsTuff
I'm comfortably a 36'' waist now. I have very broad shoulders from sports a few years ago, and still have a pretty massive chest at about 48''. I'm not "fat" .. Just a little bit of a gut. Which will go away by winter (working hard on that as well). I've thought a lot about this as well... I guess with that much more information, what do you think?

48" chest is going to eliminate a lot of brands (i.e. anything from Japan/Asia) right off the bat. Someone mentioned RRL, I think. It's Ralph Lauren's tribute to American workwear/military/vernacular clothing, so it's more of a traditional fit. Also since it's RL you'll find it in larger sizes.

It's a little pricey, though. I don't know what sort of aesthetic you're going for, but if you like functional workwear-type stuff (always in fashion in the PNW) you could probably blend RRL and Filson outerwear with some brogue boots from, say, Wolverine 1,000-mile, or an English brand like Trickers. You won't regret dropping $4-600 on a great pair of boots for office and casual wear.

I still say you should decide if you want to drop 20-30 lbs first. I have no doubt you're not "fat," but it's all relative.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 on wait until you get into shape and then buy new clothes.

Alternatively, you can buy shirts that fit you now and get them tailored when you lose weight.

Jeans (what you really should be investing in, IMO) are a little tougher. Buy something slim, dark and raw for now (501 STF's) and then get new ones when you get down to your goal size

thatguymj

Reaction score
I strongly agree with what people have told OP about losing some lbs first.

I really got back into 'fashion' maybe 6-8 months ago and I definitely had some extra weight on me from a back injury. After checking this place out for awhile I made some purchases, that now, after 4 months of exercise, I regret buying since they're too big. I'm now 6'0'' and maybe 175lbs with a 40'' chest and I still take mediums/larges in most 'fashion' brands. At your current size , it will be really tough to buy anything but mall brands like jcrew, gap, br, club monaco, etc

Just stick around this place and check out the WAYWT and you'll get an idea of what styles might look good on you and go from there.

Good luck, OP, maybe you could document your change in this thread. Might be a good way to stay motivated with the working out and changing your style

MarineHillsTuff

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Peter1
48" chest is going to eliminate a lot of brands (i.e. anything from Japan/Asia) right off the bat. Someone mentioned RRL, I think. It's Ralph Lauren's tribute to American workwear/military/vernacular clothing, so it's more of a traditional fit. Also since it's RL you'll find it in larger sizes. It's a little pricey, though. I don't know what sort of aesthetic you're going for, but if you like functional workwear-type stuff (always in fashion in the PNW) you could probably blend RRL and Filson outerwear with some brogue boots from, say, Wolverine 1,000-mile, or an English brand like Trickers. You won't regret dropping $4-600 on a great pair of boots for office and casual wear. I still say you should decide if you want to drop 20-30 lbs first. I have no doubt you're not "fat," but it's all relative.
Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty
+1 on wait until you get into shape and then buy new clothes. Alternatively, you can buy shirts that fit you now and get them tailored when you lose weight. Jeans (what you really should be investing in, IMO) are a little tougher. Buy something slim, dark and raw for now (501 STF's) and then get new ones when you get down to your goal size
Originally Posted by thatguymj
I strongly agree with what people have told OP about losing some lbs first. I really got back into 'fashion' maybe 6-8 months ago and I definitely had some extra weight on me from a back injury. After checking this place out for awhile I made some purchases, that now, after 4 months of exercise, I regret buying since they're too big. I'm now 6'0'' and maybe 175lbs with a 40'' chest and I still take mediums/larges in most 'fashion' brands. At your current size , it will be really tough to buy anything but mall brands like jcrew, gap, br, club monaco, etc Just stick around this place and check out the WAYWT and you'll get an idea of what styles might look good on you and go from there. Good luck, OP, maybe you could document your change in this thread. Might be a good way to stay motivated with the working out and changing your style
Sounds like it's cutting season!
devil.gif
Meanwhile... I might grab some interim stuff at Jcrew. I like the idea of documenting progress. Let me give some thought to the execution of that.. Ideas? FYI - Cutting for those that don't know is a routine in Bodybuilding, during which you shed bodyfat after going through a muscle gain routine by putting yourself in a caloric deficit and adding a lot of cardio. Interestingly enough, I'm beginning a cut phase anyway with a lot of HIIT workouts. Multiple reasons to stay motivated.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a tumblr for those interested. If you want to stick around to read up on what you're interested in post-cut you can put a link in your sig. just don't spam it. and ask questions in the appropriate stickies

also for body related things, the health and body forum is full of broz.

MarineHillsTuff

Reaction score
a tumblr for those interested. If you want to stick around to read up on what you're interested in post-cut you can put a link in your sig. just don't spam it. and ask questions in the appropriate stickies

also for body related things, the health and body forum is full of broz.

Wait... What?
eh.gif

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you need documentation to stay motivated, start a tumblr to document your cut. It's like a blogspot but more minimalist.

A lot of people won't care, but those that do will be able to follow it. You can put a link in your signature instead of posting it all the time.

If you have further questions regarding style stuff, the stickies at the top of the forum are a place to ask them. For example, your inquiry about jcrew vs. diesel.

we also have a health and body subforum that has a lot of diet/exercise enthusiasts.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MarineHillsTuff
=

Interestingly enough, I'm beginning a cut phase anyway with a lot of HIIT workouts.

A gym buddy of mine, a former Forest Service Smokejumper, is now a crew boss, and apparently putting his guys through the ringer. Young, supposedly fit guys are throwing up from the routines he is making them go through, nearly all HIIT stuff. We were just laughing about that in the gym yesterday. We are both in our 30s, and apparently, we can run these kids ragged, still.

MarineHillsTuff

Reaction score
If you need documentation to stay motivated, start a tumblr to document your cut. It's like a blogspot but more minimalist.

A lot of people won't care, but those that do will be able to follow it. You can put a link in your signature instead of posting it all the time.

If you have further questions regarding style stuff, the stickies at the top of the forum are a place to ask them. For example, your inquiry about jcrew vs. diesel.

we also have a health and body subforum that has a lot of diet/exercise enthusiasts.

La ringrazio molto il mio nuovo amico. I will set this tumblr thing up. That's a good idea. I'll put some stuff up slowly and then post a link when it's got some interesting stuff to look at... Maybe add it to my sig later. I'm on the Bodybuilding forums, but I will have to read the stickys a bit closer.

I do have to admit, the responses and timing on this forum are solid. I'm super impressed. Thanks for helping out a new member!

MarineHillsTuff

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
A gym buddy of mine, a former Forest Service Smokejumper, is now a crew boss, and apparently putting his guys through the ringer. Young, supposedly fit guys are throwing up from the routines he is making them go through, nearly all HIIT stuff. We were just laughing about that in the gym yesterday. We are both in our 30s, and apparently, we can run these kids ragged, still.

HIIT stuff is supposed to be the best cutting routine out there. Essentially adding HIIT to your lifting routine, and maybe some AM cardio (conventional jogging for 30 min) for two-a-days, starting from a 3 day 8 min 30sec/30sec, sprint/jog is supposed to put you at a loss of 2lbs/wk at a moderate to severe caloric deficit. I'd really suggest people who want to get great information on it to go to forums.bodybuilding.com. Seriously, I'm new there- and granted the feedback is much slower, and you have to deal with some "interesting" characters... Overall it's still solid.

MarineHillsTuff

Reaction score
Originally Posted by transient
Oh c'mon. How bad can it really be for someone who's starting out.

In all honesty, if I hadn't read up a bit about JCrew on this site.. I would have thought the same thing. So I'm not surprised... And for staples, they really can't be THAT bad. I think JCrew is on par with Brooks Brothers... However back in the day, I'd say it was on par with.......

..... Abercrombie?

Seems like they've got some good changes happening there.

But I understand the sentiment.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the problem is that j.crew is watered down version of americana/workwear, which is a style that has been ubiquitous on this forum for a while. As a result, people here consider j.crew's offerings passe and uninteresting.

However, it's perfectly respectable for basics. But "high style" it is not.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics