• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help Shell Cordovan

jjgold

Reaction score
I know this have been covered here before but.... cordovan does not need be polished right? But how do you guys clean it? I have a pair of Brown Shell Vass that really need a cleaning. Any recommendations?

Thanks

ephemeralcoherence

Reaction score
I think cordovan should be polished, just not as often or heavily as calf. I've tried a couple methods--Alden of Carmel's site instructions as well as SF member Shoe's detailed step-by-step from a while back--and both have worked well for me. I believe both address the issue of cleaning before polishing.

well-kept

Reaction score
Neutral wax has a solvent effect on surface dirt. I use it, rarely, on shell when it has gone through rain or mud. A tiny amount, rubbed off as soon as it's applied. Then brush. Works well for me.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I clean off salt and grime with a damp cloth and then spot-polish with a very small amount of wax. More recently, Ron Rider sent me some Saphir shoe creams with several pairs of MTO Martegani shell cordovan shoes. The Saphir cream has given new life to some tired-looking shell cordovan shoes that wouldn't shine well otherwise.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thinman, that's interesting. My impression had been that creams aren't recommended for shell cordovan--probably because of its relative (to calf) impermeability. Instead, the recommendations I've seen concentrate on wax polishes--and, has been noted, in very small quantities. Your damp cloth treatment first makes complete sense.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Polish no more often than once every dozen wearings or so,use a dry brush otherwise. Use much less polish than you would on calf. Creams are not recommended.

paper clip

Reaction score
I like my cordo shoes to have a warm, rich luster, rather than a hard "shine".

Every couple of months (shoes worn to work/church 1-2x weekly) I first clean 'em with baby wipes (I figure if its gentle enough for a baby's a$$, it can't hurt tough horse shoes). I let dry and then wipe with a clean cotton t-shirt. I then apply a small amount of polish applied with an old cotton t-shirt (real soft). I then brush off all polish with a horsehair brush and then a final wipe-down/buffing with clean t-shirt.

I finish with black edge dressing applied with a black foam paintbrush cut to 1/2 inch to complete the transformation back to like-new shoes.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roger
Thinman, that's interesting. My impression had been that creams aren't recommended for shell cordovan--probably because of its relative (to calf) impermeability. Instead, the recommendations I've seen concentrate on wax polishes--and, has been noted, in very small quantities. Your damp cloth treatment first makes complete sense.
That's the lore I've read too, but I'd tried wax on my Polo Darlton wingtips and MacCallum chukka boots and the creased area on the vamps just refused to take a shine. So I spread on a very thin layer of Saphir cream, using one finger, polished it off with a cotton cloth followed by a vigorous shine with a Bemberg cloth, and got a nice shine. The procedure works even better on calfskin shoes (and I love the beeswax smell of the Saphir creams). Edit: I won't try the cream treatment again until after many wearings, since I believe there's some truth to the conventional wisdom. I'm going back to spot-polishing with wax for the foreseeable future.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wipe with damp cloth followed by brushing and buffing. I use wax about once a year.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads