• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help: Residual Damage from Salt Stain

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On Thursday night I had come home late and careless. We had a few inches snow where I live and I had took my boots off in my foyer and I must've knocked them down when I went inside to get undressed, because when I next saw them they were on their sides and all the melted snow and salt had soaked into the side of one of my boots. The result was a GIANT salt stain. The next day I purchased Angelus desalter and treated my shoes with the product. The large stain required two treatments, but the salt is off the leather; however, what is left is a visible outline of a stain, which putting shoe polish on does not seem to cover.

The boots are not especially expensive men's boots, but I enjoy them and find them comfortable, and after I jazz them up with black shoe cream and wax on the originally lighter brown leather, the result is quite a handsome boot. I'd prefer not to have to give these to charity. What, if anything, can I do with these shoes to get rid of the stain?

See attached for pictures.

Attachments

• 1581299131099.JPEG
    1581299131099.JPEG
    179 KB · Views: 90
  • 1581299134899.JPEG
    1581299134899.JPEG
    204.6 KB · Views: 202

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Neither Angelus desalter or the White Vinegar is getting rid of this residiual stain.

I just bought Saphir renomat to see if I can use that on the stain. Should I try a leather dye? What can I do to salvage these boots?

Attachments

• 1581659574349.JPEG
    1581659574349.JPEG
    185 KB · Views: 193

oucheebooboo

Reaction score
Neither Angelus desalter or the White Vinegar is getting rid of this residiual stain.

I just bought Saphir renomat to see if I can use that on the stain. Should I try a leather dye? What can I do to salvage these boots?

There are a variety of similar products that can help: vinegar, Fiebing's Salt Stain Remover, Saphir's Hiver-Winter snow & salt remover, etc, but if the stain has set, you'll need to treat it several few times. (Before Renomat, I'd give the Angelus a few more tries.)

After treating the stain a few times, follow up with a general leather cleaner, then rehydrate with conditioner, then a bit of moisturizing polish. (Dye is more long-lasting than polish.)

Also, consider posting in the "Shoe Care" thread to get more response: https://www.styleforum.net/threads/...ials-photos-etc.228153/page-1550#post-9873888 ("Nick" at BNelson is one of the resident gurus there).

If the idea of doing it yourself seems daunting, consider a local cobbler, or try Steve Doudaklian at Bedo's. Steve has a popular youtube channel, with great restoration videos. (Hopefully, you won't have to go as far as acetone to strip off the stain--Salt stain removal :20-18:00):

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

What I ended up doing was using the renomat to strip the finish along the stain then I applied several more coats of salt remover. It got most of the stain off, and prepared the shoe for redying with a very heavy layer of cream polish. I used Tarrago so I didn't waste my top quality saphir, then did another layer of pommadier cream over it. The stain is 95% invisible at this point and the shoes are definitely wearable without feeling embarrassed.

I feel like stripping away as much as I could to the bare leather helped the angelus work. The results are pronounced.

I will know for sure once the cream dye wears a bit off, but I think these shoes are in decent shape again now, which is a big relief as I like wearing these on casual outings when my leather soled dress shoes aren't suitable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads