• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me with leather furniture (couch)

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm moving into a new apartment this weekend and am looking into buying some new furniture for it. One of my main purchases will be a new couch and after much deliberation, I have decided I want to go leather with it. Unfortunately, I don't have as much of a budget for the couch as I would like since I am having to buy several other furniture pieces too. Looking to spend around $1k max.

I know in terms of leather furniture, one cannot expect top quality for this price. Are their certain things I should look for? What should I avoid? This is an area I don't know a lot about and thought I would reach out to the SF community for advice.

My top pick at the moment is a couch I found on sale at Macy's. The price and style are right for what I am looking for, but I don't know how to judge the overall quality of the piece.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I am not a fran of that sofa myself. Not much advice from me other than that Ikea has some pretty good-looking (though admittedly modern, so it may not be your thing) leather sofas for cheap cheap cheap.
skogaby-sofa-black__0124690_PE281613_S4.JPG
is not bad for $600. I don't think it's full-grain leather but I'm guessing the Macy's one is either. Optimally, you want 8-way hand-tied construction but I don't think that's available at your price, unfortunately. I'll let the Knoll experts weigh in though, no doubt they're smarter than I am. I do know that, unfortunately, the foam cushions in the Ikea will not stand up particularly well to long-term use. Still, it should be plenty to get you through 3-4 years.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't want anything too modern, but here is the other one I was looking at from the same store. In both, I would be buying in brown. That couch you posted is OK, but not really my thing. I don't care for Ikea on the whole, but have heard their sofas can be decent for the price. I did think most of their leather stuff was split or bounded, but I could be wrong. In terms of the original one I posted, I don't know the leather quality level, but was told that it's full leather all around. They had a swatch of the material next to the couch and I thought it felt decent.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I like the second one you've posted much better than the first, and I think you will like it better with time as well. Those sort of transitional pieces really end up grating after some time - take it from someone who's made a mistake with that.

I'm virtually certain it's not full leather. I'd bet the Macy's salesperson doesn't have a clue about leather. You'd think the website would call that out if it were the case.

As for the Ikea, yah, it is split leather. At least they're honest about that.

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like Macy's furniture, I just bought a number of pieces from them. My parents also just bought some leather couches from them. They look like Pottery Barn Manhattan and the leather quality is actually really impressive. I have looked at both of the couches that you linked, and I was impressed. They look too much like they are trying to be modern "italian". If I was going to buy a leather couch, I would make it a more classic style, that could also work in the modern setting, think along the lines of a chesterfield.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
I like the second one you've posted much better than the first, and I think you will like it better with time as well. Those sort of transitional pieces really end up grating after some time - take it from someone who's made a mistake with that.

I'm virtually certain it's not full leather. I'd bet the Macy's salesperson doesn't have a clue about leather. You'd think the website would call that out if it were the case.

As for the Ikea, yah, it is split leather. At least they're honest about that.

I'll call Macy's and check, but I am almost certain it is full leather. By that I mean the whole couch is leather, no cheaper stuff on the sides and back like some couches are. In terms of the quality, I know it's not split or bounded, but it's also not top grain or anything.

I want a transitional piece that can work well with a variety of styles. I find going all modern a little too cold for my taste and don't find it all that interesting. My taste and style for furniture and decorating is fairly ecliptic. The chair I will be using next to the sofa is actually an antique fabric chair that belonged to my grandmother that I will get reupholstered at some point. I will also have some pieces from World Market mixed in with some more contemporary stuff. I just find it all more interesting and warm.

Originally Posted by BrianVarick
I really like Macy's furniture, I just bought a number of pieces from them. My parents also just bought some leather couches from them. They look like Pottery Barn Manhattan and the leather quality is actually really impressive. I have looked at both of the couches that you linked, and I was impressed. They look too much like they are trying to be modern "italian". If I was going to buy a leather couch, I would make it a more classic style, that could also work in the modern setting, think along the lines of a chesterfield.

I like chesterfields, but have not seen one in my price range. $1k is hitting my upper limit, but might be able to go a tad higher if I saw the right piece.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
well, if your tastes are ecliptic, then i shall not stand in your way.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
LMAO. Anyway, I dislike leather couches, so I can make no suggestions.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Originally Posted by iammatt
LMAO.

Anyway, I dislike leather couches, so I can make no suggestions.

laugh.gif

Ok, I deserve that. Eclectic! That one gets blamed on my iPhone's autocorrect and bad proofing on my part.
blush.gif

Iammatt, I can go both ways on leather couches but want something that will last and avoid stains. Plus my side chair will be fabric so it won't be all leather.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMRouse;
Iammatt, I can go both ways on leather couches
If this is the case then you're definitely not going to want fabric!

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
If this is the case then you're definitely not going to want fabric!

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CouttsClient
That looks great and I wanted to suggest www.chesterfields1780.com but the $1k price wasn't going to work

They are sex, but a little too alpha for my budget at the moment. I did some thinking about it all today and am considering going with a less expensive fabric couch for a while and eventually upgrade to much nicer leather sofa when my budget can afford it. I can wait a few days before I make a final decision on it all.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads