• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me identify this custom suit

Krawczak

Reaction score
So I have this suit. It doesn't have any tags of any kind, but it is clearly a very high-end custom suit of some sort. Fully canvassed, more pockets than would ever be on an OTR suit, working buttonholes, ticket pocket, peak lapels - generally a lot of features that, all in the same suit, scream "custom".

Anyway, being as it lacks tags, including inside any of the 6 or 7 interior pockets, I'm lost as to where this thing came from. The only clue I can think of is that what looks like chalkstripes are actually tiny "K"s. I'm crossing my fingers that this is some proprietary pattern that is only used by one tailor or something. I'm probably hoping for too much. Anyway, here are some pics:

The pic of the cuffs is the most representative of the actual color. Only two working buttonholes, WTF? Sorry about poor photography skills and not having a mannequin or something. You'll have to use your imagination for how it hangs. there's about medium waist suppression.

Leslierc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
it reminds me of Paul Smith details

I was thinking the same thing - Paul Smith. Check Neiman Marcus; they carry Paul Smith suits.

pejsek

Reaction score
Cool suit! Where did you get it? I doubt it's Paul Smith but it does show the sort of details Paul Smith has built a career on mining--contrast lining, angled hacking pockets, etc. It's definitely bespoke and well done with nice hand-sewn buttonholes and good laid-back matching on the stripes. Looks like only the last two buttons on each sleeve are actually working, which (along with the button color and general styling) would make me guess it's from Savile Row or at least English. I don't think the cloth is proprietary, but it is fun. I especially like the pants. Great find.

Krawczak

Reaction score
I got it at a thrift store - thanks to lurking on this forum, it jumped right out at me as the odd duck on the rack, so I had to take it home.

Yes, only the last two buttonholes work - kind of a head-scratcher, but meh.

Alas, the honeymoon is over, and I suddenly realize that for the amount of alteration that would be required to make it actually fit me, I could probably just have a new suit made. So, I think I'm going to try to find it a better home. It's a shame, though - I do like it.

Originally Posted by pejsek
Cool suit! Where did you get it? I doubt it's Paul Smith but it does show the sort of details Paul Smith has built a career on mining--contrast lining, angled hacking pockets, etc. It's definitely bespoke and well done with nice hand-sewn buttonholes and good laid-back matching on the stripes. Looks like only the last two buttons on each sleeve are actually working, which (along with the button color and general styling) would make me guess it's from Savile Row or at least English. I don't think the cloth is proprietary, but it is fun. I especially like the pants. Great find.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If the pattern in the suit stripe is the letter K it may be the signature cloth from Holland & Sherry or Scabal. Both companies will weave a name or letter or anything you want in the cloth. Very expensive. If you look inside the pockets on the trousers you may find some words on the selvedge that might identify the cloth or cloth maker. Maybe even a label inside the pockets. The only other item I can identify are the buttons which are commonly acquired and used in England.

Krawczak

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
If you look inside the pockets on the trousers you may find some words on the selvedge that might identify the cloth or cloth maker. Maybe even a label inside the pockets.

A-hah! "MADE IN HUDDERSFIELD".

Does that mean John G Hardy, or is "Made in Huddersfield" different than "HFW Huddersfield Ltd"? Alas, no label.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Krawczak
So I have this suit. It doesn't have any tags of any kind, but it is clearly a very high-end custom suit of some sort. Fully canvassed, more pockets than would ever be on an OTR suit, working buttonholes, ticket pocket, peak lapels - generally a lot of features that, all in the same suit, scream "custom".

Anyway, being as it lacks tags, including inside any of the 6 or 7 interior pockets, I'm lost as to where this thing came from. The only clue I can think of is that what looks like chalkstripes are actually tiny "K"s. I'm crossing my fingers that this is some proprietary pattern that is only used by one tailor or something. I'm probably hoping for too much. Anyway, here are some pics:

The pic of the cuffs is the most representative of the actual color. Only two working buttonholes, WTF? Sorry about poor photography skills and not having a mannequin or something. You'll have to use your imagination for how it hangs. there's about medium waist suppression.

the first pic tells me its a m2m.
why? check the lapels. a true custom/bespoke would have the stripe follow the lapels curve. the facing is molded by the coatmaker to match the curve.
this coat has stripes cut off the edge [not moulded] . in fact on one lapel the stripe is hardly there at all. i have no idea who made it.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor
the first pic tells me its a m2m.
why? check the lapels. a true custom/bespoke would have the stripe follow the lapels curve. the facing is molded by the coatmaker to match the curve.
this coat has stripes cut off the edge [not moulded] . in fact on one lapel the stripe is hardly there at all. i have no idea who made it.

now that you mention it, i realize that it's actually quite unsightly. yuck.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads