• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me define my style?

AmaYonv

Reaction score
How's it going, everyone. New guy, so be gentle. I'm not only new to the board, but style as well.

I have a trade show coming up that requires me to wear either a suit or blazer/sport coat with slacks/khakis.

I have a couple of suits and a couple of sport coats, but I don't really love any of them.

I bought them when I first started this job (machine sales)a coupleof years ago and I really didn't know what I was doing. They don't fit well and they don't really fit my style. Plus they're all from Joseph A Bank. This is still my price range, but definitely not my preferred store.

I love the outdoors. Hunting/fishing. So I like the rugged look, but an upscale version (refined/rugged if you will). I can picture it in my mind, but can't seem to articulate it well nor find it out there on the webs, that won't make me look like a tool.

Ask questions, if you have them. Offer advise if you want. I just need some direction that won't break the bank.

Thank you, in advance.

Sfroide3

Reaction score
It depends where you are living. NYC or Dallas is not the same weather ...

You like "rugged" looks - meaning workwear and military inspired. That is a good start. From that there is two way.

1. Go for the look 100%. Leaning more towards regular cuts jeans, cargo pants, flannel shirts, workwear style jacket, leather jacket, knitted sweaters, boots etc (Very cliché description). Of course it is up to you to define what cut you like most, if you like very rugged boots or more sleeker boots, etc. Read a lot about the subject and look at photos on internet.

2. Be more gentle on the workwear side and take what you love the most from that style. That is what I do. I am looking for fabrics with a lot of texture (because this is what I like). I have some japanese clothing (like Sashiko jacket, workwear jacket, etc.). I love flannel (multiple sportcoats). My typical look would be a pair of boots (relatively sleek), a pair of fitted jeans (not slim), a matching belt, a dress/casual shirt tucked (chambray, herringbone pattern, etc) and a sportcoat.

Directions that won t break the bank.

1. Break the bank on your most important clothing - boots (you can find some extremely nice boots between 200 to 350 usd) that will last for years. Know your size and wait for sales.
2. Nice jeans (don't go crazy at the beginning with 200 usd japanese selvedge denim, it will come later)
3. A few nice fitted shirts.
4. Keep your actual suits for your important work events. You can replace them later on.

I found this article that may interest you:

Very short but it's a good start.

Edit: Basically to give you a very cliché look:

AmaYonv

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply.

#2 Sounds close to what I'm thinking.

Looking at the Sashito Jacket, I think even that is too work wear for my goals.

I'm in Sales and I only have to wear suits/blazers during shows and trade events. These are bimonthly events (at most). Most of my co-workers and folks in my industry focus on the simple/easy look (ie, Blue/gray jacket). I want to stand out...Just a little. Does that make any sense?

I love the Tweed Jacket look, something with texture like you say, but think it is just a bit too far outside the norm for my comfort level.

I'm thinking a gray tweed coat with a phantom window pane. Is that a thing? I know it is ultimately up to me, and what I want. I just need to decide on the balance I want to take with what you've given me to start with.

My other big dilemmas are pretty much everything else in the onsamble. Khakis/slacks. Traditional or slightly tailored. I'm kind of short/wide guy. 5'6 270, but most people say I look closer to 250.

And of course shoes. I have been wearing off the rack slacks and khakis. Giving me a wide leg that breaks at the ankle or just below if I don't get them tailored. With those, I think a boot would make sense. You don't see the top. I love brogue shoes and especially these https://www.colehaan.com/washington-grand-laser-wingtip-oxford-british-tan-molten-lava/C24523.html But I feel like those are the direct opposite of my style at the same time.

I'm just confused.

Sfroide3

Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind is the cut of your clothing. You can have the most expensiv fabric but it will look terrible if it is not tailored to your body and measurement. There is a lot of guides online on how pants, shirts or pants must be tailored to offer a good fit. As a start I wouldn't go for any statement piece of clothing.

You are not in a formal environment at all. If you want to stand out without over doing it focus on cut and fabric. Keep the pattern simple for a beginning. Buy things that you can wear with a lot of different outfits. You asked about fabric here is three examples:

You can see the difference in style. The last one is a tweed. But in my opinion it fits perfectly in a casual business environment - it won't make you stand out too much. It's a very versatile piece that you can dress up with a white shirt and a tie or dress down very easily. After a few month if you feel that your are confident with your style you can try more statement pieces if you feel that your business environment is fine with it.

Pants is up to you. I don't like khakis but that's just me. Basics are : wool pants (flannel or not) / Chinos / Jeans. You need to get all you pants tailored. Even for heavier guys you need a little bit of tapering and hemming if you don't want to look like a grandpa. You can go for the classic "old school" style (look at Sven from the gentleman gazette) but you need to be consistent around your entire outfit.

I think you need to learn about men style before making any huge investment. Read a lot of blog online (real men real style, Gentleman gazette, he spoke style, parisian gentleman, etc). It will help you narrow the style you like.

PS: concerning your colehaan shoes. You ll learn that it is not a very well reputated brand for shoes. That wholecut pair you linked is supposed to be a very formal one. But these holes are horrible. No traditionnal shoemaker would make this ... and this is not a surprise. Read guides about shoes. If you want to follow some basic rules it is important to know the level of formality of colors and models.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What Sfroide said is good advice. I can't believe those Cole Hans are 400 bucks. I didnt know they had the audacity to charge that much for their schlock.
If you are willing to spend 400 go look at Allen Edmonds.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads