• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me choose 3 pair of shoes out of these?

bancip

Reaction score
So... I'm planning to buy 3 pair of shoes. Currently there is a sale where I can get Versace Collection shoes for a great price.

Here are the shoes:
http://i.imgur.com/SSua3oy.jpg

I can't really decide which 3 to buy.
Thinking about number 6, 9 and 13.

What do you think? / Which three would you buy?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would not know what to describe 6 as - it is certainly not a "shoe". What do you hope to use them for - these are all very different.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First, this post could easy be read as being mean spirited, it is not meant that way at all. It would be easy to just pass by this thread and not comment. The following is meant constructively.

I would not buy or wear any of those shoes. If I were in a spot where I were considering buying these shoes I would want someone to tell me to look through some if the shoe threads here, look at the offerings of shoe brands known for their classic styles (Crockett & Jones, Alfred Sargent, Edward Green, Carmina, Alden, Allen Edmonds, etc. - there are many more), and get a good understanding of shoe styles and the context in which they are to be worn before making any significant purchases.

TJhambone09

Reaction score
What Patrick said. Plus, there is limited need for black shoes, so look for brown if possible. You can really only wear black with very dark suits. Brown goes with all color pants and jeans. I have two pairs of black shoes and 9 pairs of varying shades of brown.

However, you asked a question, so here's a real answer. The best of the worst, IMHO, are 9, 11, and 12. I'd pick 10 over 11 if it was a plain double monk, but the wingtip pattern kills it, so the single monk it is.

Again, they wouldn't be so bad if they were brown. But I also don't think Versace shoes, while trendy and flashy, hold a candle to any of the makers Patrick mentioned in terms of quality. My collection is ONLY Allen Edmonds and Alden.

Edit: it looks as if 13 is a chocolate brown. But I still wouldn't get a monk strap with broguing.

Last edited:

mhdena

Reaction score
I know the "GROUP THINK" here is you don't need black shoes, but

When I wore suits daily I wore more black shoes than brown and still have more black than brown dress shoes.

Though I agree that I would not buy any shoes in the OP's examples.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

When I wore suits daily I wore more black shoes than brown and still have more black than brown dress shoes.

???

Not sure why you say "GROUP THINK" is against black shoes, they have their place as do brown, burgundy, tan etc.

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with a good black dress shoe, everyone needs at least one - Black is great with navy and charcoal suits. But 3 pairs of black shoes is less than ideal. After black, dark brown, and burgundy are next on the list. You will have more flexibility if your first 3 pairs are these three colors. Then you can add a brown suede for more casual looks. After that you can add different styles of shoes in various colors.

But start with the basics in black, brown and burgundy.

TJhambone09

Reaction score

I'm somewhat with you. I usually wear oxblood with navy suits, whiskey or chili with heather grey suits, any brown with brown/tan/heavy pattern suits or odd jacket/trousers, and black with charcoal suits.

Maybe one of his choices should be black, but certainly not all. Plus, I'm assuming (I know, assume = ass of u & me) that OP isn't much of a suit-wearer being that three or four of the 13 choices, and one that he said he was leaning to, are basically tennis shoes. As I really only see black shoes going with a suit, hence my recommendation to avoid black.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads