• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me build a casual spring and summer wardrobe!

madgrad

Reaction score
I'm at a pretty interesting point in my life fashion where I'm in the process of rebuilding an entire wardrobe with an eye towards classic stability and fit more than trends. At this point, I have no clothes that I would consider spring or summer, and I'm looking to build a solid wardrobe for the season, with some help.

Here's what I'm looking at:

1: Solid color crew and V-neck shirts from AA. At least 15 in different, versatile colors. I am not a fan of the plain white T look, for some reason it's not my style.

2: Henleys from AA. One white, one gray, one blue, one olive.

3: A pair of straight leg, slim but not skinny non raw jeans. I'm thinking either Slim Jeans or Acne Mics. I already have a pair of Corpus Fine in raw that I love, but I'm forcing myself to have them as my only pair of raw denim for at least three more months.

4: Shorts, flat front, knee length. One pair white, one light brown/khaki, and one plaid/madras for more color

5: Casual oxford long sleeve shirts. I'm looking at Jcrew for these because the price isn't bad, and for wearing untucked with shorts and sleeves rolled up I think the slim but still a little more relaxed fit should be decent enough

6: Polos. Honestly, I don't know squat about polo shirts besides Ralph Lauren polos. I have a long torso and polos seems to fit weird on me, alot of times they feel too short. Where is the hem supposed to hit for a proper fit? I want at least four or five. What brands are recommended here?

7: A track jacket from AA in Kelly Green with the white trim.

8: 2 pair of slim fit worn in style chinos from Jcrew. Again, slim but still relaxed

9: Sneakers. Not really sure what to buy here for the most versatility, I'm thinking a pair of white chucks and maybe a second 'thicker' Adidas type shoe with some green stiching would work. I'm thinking getting a pair of boat shoes as well but where I grew up these have a bit of a repuation for being yuppie attire.

10: A casual blazer. I'm not a fan of linen but it's probably because I don't know how to take care of it properly without it becoming too disheveled looking. What brands would be recommended for a casual, slim fit linen blazer for the spring? I have long arms, so I'd need a 34-35 inch sleeve btw.

I feel with a budget of 500-600 dollars and trendyblanks for the AA garb and the upcoming denimbar party, I'll be able to build a reasonable wardrobe to start for the warmer weather.

What do you gentlemen think? Honestly I've never really dressed for the spring and this year I'm in the mood to appreciate the weather. Does a pair of slim knee length shorts and a casual oxford with the sleeves rolled up look like a douche or is it acceptable?

I tried browsing the WAYWNT thread for the summer of 2007 but it seemed that almost every post was Shirt+jeans, and I'd like to have a little more spice! Any recomendations and am I missing any obvious must have wardrobe staples?

Surfrider

Reaction score
May I ask; what is your approximate age range? Late twenties? Early thirties? Mid-to-late-seventies?
cool.gif

BYucko

Reaction score
I'm looking to get few Lacoste polos. The brand is good, the fit is good (esp their slimmer ones), and the quality is top notch. Unlike most here, I don't mind the small logo on it.

Collar unpopped.

madgrad

Reaction score
I'm 25 years old, going back to graduate school probably next year to finish off my doctorate. I work in a pharmacy and my style is pretty conservative I'd say.

BYucko: I like the coloring on Lacoste polos however I think the price for the quality is obscene. I'd buy Le Tigre or Fred Perry any day over Lacoste, but they offer more stripes than solids from what I've seen.

I had an Original Penguin polo once that was remarkably slim fit, are they are a decent brand? I normally see them for about 20 bucks at my local Nordstrom rack and the colors look pretty decent, how do they hold up?

Serg

Reaction score
Original Penguin polo is great on discount. full price? prolly not but still better than fit than polo better quality than lacoste.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread reminds me of this one:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...light=wardrobe

I don't like these threads, because laying out and planning the entire wardrobe and purchasing it relatively quickly is just not a good gameplan, IMO. I think you should find certain pieces that really suit you instead of purchasing a full uniform wardrobe of same-thing-different-color. Then again, I tend to migrate towards a smaller wardrobe composed of louder pieces with more style (whatever that style may be!).

IMO, I think you should pick up a few basic crewneck shirts, a few button-up collar'd shirts, a GOOD FITTING pair of raw denim, some basic sneakers, a good blazer or two, and maybe a pair of chino's, depending on your taste. Keep it small and simple, wear them for a while, and then fill in the holes from there.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ludeykrus
This thread reminds me of this one:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...light=wardrobe

I don't like these threads, because laying out and planning the entire wardrobe and purchasing it relatively quickly is just not a good gameplan, IMO. I think you should find certain pieces that really suit you instead of purchasing a full uniform wardrobe of same-thing-different-color. Then again, I tend to migrate towards a smaller wardrobe composed of louder pieces with more style (whatever that style may be!).

IMO, I think you should pick up a few basic crewneck shirts, a few button-up collar'd shirts, a GOOD FITTING pair of raw denim, some basic sneakers, a good blazer or two, and maybe a pair of chino's, depending on your taste. Keep it small and simple, wear them for a while, and then fill in the holes from there.

This is exactly right. I'd keep it uber simple for now. 1 pair of chinos, 1 pair of denim, and not even a blazer for me. Blazers seldom look right unless you find a good quality one, and even then it can look odd if you don't have the right items to match it with.

djs488

Reaction score
I would also recommend against buying everything at once. You may be in a mindset that you won't find too appealing 6 months from now. Besides, buying stuff in intervals makes for a more well-rounded style.

As for another pair of raw jeans... the options are endless. There are too many brands to name. I would go to store that stocks some and try them on; it's often too difficult to find something that fits over the internet.

I wear both RL Custom-Fit and Penguin polos. They are both very slim, I don't think anyone would want something much slimmer than either one of them. Can't vouch for Fred Perry but Get Smart seems to be all over them.

If your looking for something besides J Crew for button ups, my favorite brand is hickey, which is perpetually on sale at hickeystyle.com. Scour both the shirts (a bunch are on sale) and the "steals & deals" section as they sometime include different stuff.

seamless74

Reaction score
get some fred perry polos they can be had on ebay for cheap.. Also a varvatos polo might be cool to mix it up.. Im thinkin i might snag i vintage lookin penguin or two.. I personally dont care for lacoste definate negative connotation for me..

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
If the clothes fit you well you'll definitely be ok but are you really that boring? Do you have interests, hobbies, subcultural leanings or anything that help colour your experience of the world and would be transposed in a taste in clothing that has a more distinctive character? I wish you had an ostrich feather vest in your list or something else garish, unsafe and personal.

brozek

Reaction score
On the issue of footwear, I'd stick with two pairs: white canvas sneakers and boat shoes. I'd say they're classic more than preppy, but maybe it's different where I live.
41bow94mhuluk3.jpg
84201br6780ek3.jpg

jkennett

Reaction score
+1 for Fuuma's advice. I understand wanting to fit in with all those other junior attorney's at the big firm in downtown wherever, but with your casual clothing you can actually express yourself!! By just buying things that catch your eye one piece at a time (like Ludeykrus suggested) you're much more likely to collect pieces that fit your own personal aesthetic.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads