• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help, Gum is stuck on the bottom of my shoe

HitMan009

Reaction score
The joys of walking around is I get a piece of freshly crewed gum stuck on the bottom of my shoe.
confused.gif
Please HELP!!! If it was a rubber sole, I would just peel it off but these are leather soled shoes. HELP HELP

Thanks

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just scrape it off. A solvent-based cleaner will remove whatever residue remains.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wrap in a plastic bag or something and put the shoe in your freezer. It should scrape off easily once it has hardened.

Tibo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HitMan009
The joys of walking around is I get a piece of freshly crewed gum stuck on the bottom of my shoe.
confused.gif
Please HELP!!! If it was a rubber sole, I would just peel it off but these are leather soled shoes. HELP HELP

Thanks

Using an ice cube can give good results ... But I wouldn't bother too much because it's about leather soles, time will solve the problem !

Histrion

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tibo
Using an ice cube can give good results ... But I wouldn't bother too much because it's about leather soles, time will solve the problem !
The ice cube advice is the one I was about to give you too. *Last* week I was eating at some chinese fast-food joint and when I finished my meal I tried to get up but the chair moved up with me. That's where I noticed that some punk had put gum on my seat. A young guy saw me and told me to use ice cube: I did it and it came out fine. Good luck.

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Histrion
The ice cube advice is the one I was about to give you too. Next week I was eating at some chinese fast-food joint and when I finished my meal I tried to get up but the chair moved up with me. That's where I noticed that some punk had put gum on my seat. A young guy saw me and told me to use ice cube: I did it and it came out fine.

Good luck.

Historian-
I figured you to be a master of the past but a predictor of the future, very impressive. The ice cub trick works well, followed by some Goo Be Gone to remove the residue.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After I bought my first ever pair of Allen Edmonds last year, on my first day wearing them I stepped in gum and got gum all over the sole and side of the shoe. I put the shoe in the freezer in a plastic bag to freeze the gum and removed most of it that way. For the residue I used a rubber eraser from a pencil to erase the rest of the gum off. This worked pretty well.

Also, I've heard that peanut butter works. If you put some peanut butter over the gum the oil from the peanut butter actually dissolves the gum, you then just wipe the peanut butter off.

But, I would try my first method before moving to the second method.

Histrion

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Beckwith
Historian- I figured you to be a master of the past but a predictor of the future, very impressive. The ice cub trick works well, followed by some Goo Be Gone to remove the residue.
Hahaha. I made quite the mistake there.
blush.gif
I'm not even a master of the past (I am no Historian), and my grasp of the future isn't that good either. How shameful is that.

Oddly Familiar

Reaction score
I used to get gum on the carpet of my room and I rubbed it down with ice and peeled it off. Just take an ice cube and freeze it, if you can;t just peel it off at that point use a razor blade and scrape it off whil frozen.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads