• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help for a Men's Clothing Forumite

oroy38

Reaction score
So I'm in college and I'm more of an MC type of guy. I wear Sportcoats and dress-shirts almost on a daily basis and khakis/chinos most of the week. I figure I spend so much time looking for quality products for my more formal attire that my jeans are left begging for attention. Right now I own 2 pairs of Lucky Brand Jeans, and while they've done their work well, I just don't really like how they look when I dress them up a bit. For casual dicking around use they're great.

Basically I'm willing to spend up to $170 on a pair of jeans in a dark indigo wash, and I'd like to start with just 1 pair of good jeans. I've heard good things about the APC new standards, but I have no idea how they fit, and there aren't really any places around me that sell them. I hate really low rises as it makes tucking in my shirt a real problem. Essentially, I'm looking for a Levis 514 fit in the legs, with a 501 rise. Or just a 501 with a slimmer leg, however you want to look at it. I usually buy 31x32 off the shelf because nobody sells a 31x31 and just hem the inseam to 31" because I don't really like any stack in my jeans. Any recommendations?

Thanks

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oroy38
So I'm in college and I'm more of an MC type of guy. I wear Sportcoats and dress-shirts almost on a daily basis and khakis/chinos most of the week. I figure I spend so much time looking for quality products for my more formal attire that my jeans are left begging for attention. Right now I own 2 pairs of Lucky Brand Jeans, and while they've done their work well, I just don't really like how they look when I dress them up a bit. For casual dicking around use they're great.

Basically I'm willing to spend up to $170 on a pair of jeans in a dark indigo wash, and I'd like to start with just 1 pair of good jeans. I've heard good things about the APC new standards, but I have no idea how they fit, and there aren't really any places around me that sell them. I hate really low rises as it makes tucking in my shirt a real problem. Essentially, I'm looking for a Levis 514 fit in the legs, with a 501 rise. Or just a 501 with a slimmer leg, however you want to look at it. I usually buy 31x32 off the shelf because nobody sells a 31x31 and just hem the inseam to 31" because I don't really like any stack in my jeans. Any recommendations?
Thanks

Yeah. Don't hem your jeans so that there's no stack

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rosenberg
Yeah. Don't hem your jeans so that there's no stack

+1
And stay away from the high rise. Not to generalize, but you're way to young to wear jeans with that high a rise and little to no break. They aren't dress pants. I'm not saying you should go the complete opposite of the way you specified, but you should probably not get jeans with a rise equal to or lower than the apc ns.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slim cut jeans pretty much need at least 1 full break. It's usually not a good thing to be wearing 38's when you're 31, but you're going to definitely want 32 on anything slim cut. Rules for jeans and chinos/dress pants are different. New Standards will probably be just fine for you, especially if you're not wearing them to get "sick fadez." And that thread Totes posted is a great primer in affordable quality denim.

AlSailor

Reaction score
PC New Standards are low rise (on me) and I would not buy them if I wanted to tuck my shirts. Same for APC Rescue.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thanks

I kinda want something like this too. There are some options but most slightly above your price range.

LVC 1947 501 cut sounds like it might be kinda similar. There are issues with sizing for LVC though, and also it's unsanforized so you'd have to do a bit of research. on discount or on b&s they would be in your price range.

Warehouse #800 (mid/high rise tapered). Looks pretty good, but again, retail $275.

There's also a Somet high rise, but this is meant to be worn slouched, so the actual sizing is like 5 inches about the tagged size. Not sure if it would work actually worn on the waist.

davidmross

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlSailor
APC New Standards are low rise (on me) and I would not buy them if I wanted to tuck my shirts. Same for APC Rescue.

I own a pair of APC NS and have no problems tucking in a shirt. There's no bunching or strange diaper-like apparitions.

APC NS are fine either way and they'd be a great jean for the OP.

oroy38

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help guys.

A few things:
Regarding stack, my jeans, when hemmed at 31", get 1 break, and that's about all I'm comfortable with. I prefer clean lines rather to stack. Just my preference.

Regarding rise, I feel uncomfortable in jeans with lower than a 10" rise. 9.5" is okay, but anything under that and i just don't like the way it feels.

With all that said, the APC Rescues seem to fit my desired measurements pretty well, and so do the "Nudie" Regular Alf Dry Selvage jeans, but they're $300. If the general consensus is favorable, I wouldn't mind waiting a while until i have the money to blow on a $300 pair of jeans, or scouring Ebay even.

Do they (APC and Nudies) stretch enough after being broken in to warrant getting a smaller size, or do they stay pretty much true to size after wear? Or, since I do wash my jeans, should I size up to account for shrinkage?

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Do they (APC and Nudies) stretch enough after being broken in to warrant getting a smaller size, or do they stay pretty much true to size after wear? Or, since I do wash my jeans, should I size up to account for shrinkage?

I wear a 32 or 33 in regular pants and a 28 or 29 in APC. It sounds like APC would work just fine for what you are looking for. I wouldn't pay anymore than APC prices for jeans if you don't plan to wear the living **** out of them and aren't a denim snob.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads