• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help find me some sunglasses

Bokeh

Reaction score
I rarely wear sunglasses, I think the last time I bought a pair was about 10 years ago and they're long gone . Since moving to Florida, I've been out to lunch many times, sitting outside squinting, eyes watter,etc..

I went to pick out a pair a few months ago, but couldn't decide what style is right for me. And I always feel like people will be like " this guy thinks hes too cool" when I wear sunglasses, so I never wear them. haha, marsupialed I know

Today during lunch, I decided that I need to get some help finding a pair of sunglasses.
In the mean time, I'm thinking of ordering a pair of Oakley Inmates, and trying them on. if they're not right for me, I will just send them back But im looking for opinions on what style I should go after.

Are sunglasses like shoes where you need a couple pairs in different colors to coordiante somehow?

budget $300 or so.

Any advice?

Thanks

heres a pic of the inmates

heres my mugshot

Bokeh

Reaction score
Thanks.

I was trying to account for my bigger head when browsing and ordering the jokelys, they seemed to have a bigger frame that others, and were more squared off. I tried on a pair of someones aviators before by armani, and they were too big for me, and the roundness didnt seem to be right for myself.

I like the style of the Oliver Peoples glasses you linked for me, but that store has a 20% restocking fee. The oakleys I ordered from amazon, and I'm a prime member, so free two day delivery, plus free returns if I don't like them. And I don't know if any stores around me would have the Oliver peoples on dsplay to try on for fit. I would definitely order them to try if it weren't for the 20% restock fee.

Bokeh

Reaction score
Two pair came in the mail today. I can return these with no restocking fee & full refund.

I'm still searching for the right sunglasses for myself. I may get a blackish pair, and a brownish once I decide on styles & size that are right for my mug.

I have a pair of Persol 714 Havana Frame/Brown Lens that should arrive tomorrow.

Oakley Men's Inmate Iridium Sunglasses,Light Frame/Black Lens.
With these I think the lens frame is too big or something. when I smile it pushes the sunglasses up

Measurements on these:
Eye: 65
Bridge: 15
B: 44.8
ED: 68.7

Maui Jim Kahuna

Specifications:
(eye) 59
(bridge) 18
(temple) 130
8-base curve

Last edited:

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maui Jims or if you want to spend a bit more, Oliver Peoples or Barton Perreira.

Spencer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Maui Jims or if you want to spend a bit more, Oliver Peoples or Barton Perreira.

I'm guessing he's not an Oliver Peoples or Barton Perreira kinda guy.

Get yourself some Persols. Classic designs, well made, they will fit you.

captainfunk

Reaction score

I'm guessing he's not an Oliver Peoples or Barton Perreira kinda guy.
Get yourself some Persols. Classic designs, well made, they will fit you.

+1

Bokeh

Reaction score
Thanks for the input everyone. I agree the Oakleys are hideous, and will be returning them today. I might try something else, I'll browse around this evening. I almost didn't want to post the pic of the Oakleys on me, but figured what the hell. I think I might take the advice here and keep the Maui Jims, they seem a little more sporty, but they will have their use on the water, etc.

The Persols arrived in the mail today, and they fit much better than the ones I tried on at the store a couple days ago, the size in store must have been the 54's.

These are the Persol 0PO0714 24/57 Square Sunglasses,Havana Frame/Brown Lens,52

Bokeh

Reaction score
returned the Persol & Oakleys today. I wanted to like the Persol 714's, they're a classic pair of sunglasses. but I got mute responses from family that was around when I got them in the mail then put them on, then one person said they didnt like em, so the rest joined in voicing their dislike. someone even said they looked like a pair of glasses like I just got out of eye surgery. haha. also they were saying they look like that style is for someone older.

Anyhow, I picked up a pair of Maui Jim - Island Time sunglasses to try out for a day or so. here they are

Maui Jim
Island Time
Style #: H237-15 Color: Striped Rootbeer / HCL Bronze

Specifications:
(eye) 64
(bridge) 17
(temple) 125
8 base curve

Last edited:

ballmouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This one is the best one for far IMO.

Thanks for the input everyone. I agree the Oakleys are hideous, and will be returning them today. I might try something else, I'll browse around this evening. I almost didn't want to post the pic of the Oakleys on me, but figured what the hell. I think I might take the advice here and keep the Maui Jims, they seem a little more sporty, but they will have their use on the water, etc.
The Persols arrived in the mail today, and they fit much better than the ones I tried on at the store a couple days ago, the size in store must have been the 54's.
These are the Persol 0PO0714 24/57 Square Sunglasses,Havana Frame/Brown Lens,52

Bokeh

Reaction score

This one is the best one for far IMO.

I thought I liked them also, But the dislike voiced by 5 family members that were around was kind of embarrassing. After all, I have to be around them people alot, and as much as they bad mouthed the Persols I don't think I would feel comfortable wearing them. So while i was boxing up the oakleys to return I boxed the Persol's also and dropped them off at the UPS store
they even said they liked the oakleys better, and the oakleys I thought were awful.

Who know's, I may just end up reordering the Persol 714's after another week or two of trying different styles. Then just wear them when they're not around, which is pretty infrequent. :cloud:

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I thought I liked them also, But the dislike voiced by 5 family members that were around was kind of embarrassing. After all, I have to be around them people alot, and as much as they bad mouthed the Persols I don't think I would feel comfortable wearing them. So while i was boxing up the oakleys to return I boxed the Persol's also and dropped them off at the UPS store
they even said they liked the oakleys better, and the oakleys I thought were awful.
Who know's, I may just end up reordering the Persol 714's after another week or two of trying different styles. Then just wear them when they're not around, which is pretty infrequent. :cloud:

I'd have to agree I think the Persols look great. Good size, color, fit your face well They have many styles, however, so you may try some others. Plus they are obviously good quality... I have three pairs myself. BTW, check the "Sunglasses MEGATHREAD" for some info I wrote about tracking down and figuring out the sizing of Persols if they're giving you trouble.

...and my next pair will be 714's as well in the light Havana!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads