• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help designing a MTM summer suit please - especially business appropriate material

rossyl

Reaction score
Hi,

So I'll be heading to Thailand and will be having a MTM summer suit made up. I know the quality won't be up to my Golden Fleece suit. I'm not expecting it to be a £1000 suit for a £100 price.

But i would like to make sure that the suit is fit for it's intended purpose and that is summer.

Here's what I think are the main issues, but feel free to point out any others to look for.

Material

Linen? But I will be wearing it wo work and I'm a lawyer, so I need to be reasonably smart. Any thoughts please?
I want something very light, but that maintains shape. England may not be hot, but the Underground does get unbearable in even modest heat.

Lining

Any pictures would be appreciated. I thought of a half lined jacket? Like this: http://savilerow.blogs.com/.a/6a00d8...fca466e970c-pi

Construction/Style

More detail and any pictures apprecited.

- 2 button
- high armholes.
- pick stitching all round.
- Shoulder pads??
- Nipped waist

Pockets
- breast pocket
- hacking, or standard flap pockets

Vent
I thought double, but not sure if that's appropriate.

Trousers

- Flat front
- Tapered

All suggestions would be most helpful

Thanks
R

Edgar Allan Pwn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rossyl
Linen? ...
I want something that maintains shape.

Not linen. It gets hella wrinkly. Might look into a cotton/linen blend, or a lightweight wool.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is Fresco an option?

rossyl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by taxgenius
Is Fresco an option?

To be honest, i don't know what material options would be like in Thailand. I'm doubting Fresco, but maybe an imitation.

Matt S

Reaction score
If you want to look more appropriate for business go with a light-weight open-weave wool rather than linen. And get double vents, they are always appropriate on a suit.

rossyl

Reaction score
Material..

So I've read up and found this info:

Material

Avoid super number "fine cloths": they will be expensive, wear hot, drape poorly, tailor badly and wear out in no time. Cloth that is woven with very fine yarns must be woven tightly, which means no air passes through it. In spite of it being very thin, it blocks ventilation and it will wear hot. Cloth woven with thicker yarns can be a bit looser (without being flimsy), allowing air circulation.

Summer suits benefit most from the use of porous cloth tailored in unlined jackets and trousers. Porous weaves (that favour ventilation) are made with thicker yarns and the resulting cloth is heavier, too - which is an added benefit as it will tailor, look and behave better.

Lining (you may use Bemberg, which is cotton, but avoid pure silk which will be hot) or, better, with self cloth facings (as on the coat above), which gives the coat more substance without blocking ventilation.
http://www.thelondonlounge.net/forum...php?f=4&t=9363
Is it worth me spending £££'s on material from England (i'm in the UK) and taking it to Thailand...I'll be in Phuket and not sure about any of the tailors there, so I would be taking a chance?

Has anyone got close-ups of the weave I hould look for, should I use the material they have in the shop.

Thanks

rossyl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt S
If you want to look more appropriate for business go with a light-weight open-weave wool rather than linen. And get double vents, they are always appropriate on a suit.

A close-up of what I need to look for when you say "open weave" would be great.

Thanks

rossyl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rossyl
A close-up of what I need to look for when you say "open weave" would be great.

Thanks

Would really appreciate comments on the above... thanks

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads