• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Head band for men

Libido Max

Reaction score
Anyone know that sell this in the manly fashion way, not the sport sweat band or any clothed band cause I already seen those, and it look like you just ran a mile and forgot the band in your head.

TheRiblet

Reaction score
I have absolutely racked my brain trying to think of how a fashion headband for a man could possibly look "manly" and I am drawing a complete blank. Unless maybe you are thinking like a Karate Kid or Rambo look.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To whatever extent a head band can look "manly" - The Riblet mentions the Karate Kid and Rambo, and I'll chime in with the admittedly inaccurate and typically racist images of various "Apache Warriors," in countless 1950's Hollywood westerns - there's not going to be any "fashion way" about it.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

To whatever extent a head band can look "manly" - The Riblet mentions the Karate Kid and Rambo, and I'll chime in with the admittedly inaccurate and typically racist images of various "Apache Warriors," in countless 1950's Hollywood westerns - there's not going to be any "fashion way" about it.

What is racist and inaccurate about showing Apache Warriors wearing headbands? They did so quite commonly. Interestingly, I had a friend who did a lot of work in low-budget Hollywood Westerns and was a quarter Apache. He didn't look it though.I suspect Jay "Tonto" Silverheels was a distant cousin of mine.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What is racist and inaccurate about showing Apache Warriors wearing headbands?

Merely portraying an Apache in a headband isn't necessarily racist or inaccurate, of course. Any more than it's inherently sexist to portray a woman as a wife and mother.

But I stand by my statement that in vast numbers of 1950's Hollywood westerns, Native Americans were routinely portrayed in a racist and inaccurate manner. The "Apache Warrior" example of the more generic "bloodthirsty savage" stereotype was often especially offensive. Well, not offensive to me personally, at the time, as I hadn't been born yet, nor am I a Native American. And yeah, I'm gonna say it, it was a different time, with somewhat different standards from those widely accepted today. But when I see some of these westerns on Turner Classic Movies...

Nor were such unfortunate portrayals limited to 1950's westerns. As late as... 1977, or thereabouts, Hanna-Barbera decided to add some ethnic diversity to its popular Saturday morning "Super Friends" cartoon (which went through something like 5 name changes in its 13 seasons on the air, but the words "Super Friends" were, I think, always part of the title). Among the additions was Apache Chief. Rather than detail the ways in which Hanna-Barbera portrayed the character so insultingly that a Klansman watching this cartoon series might have thought they'd gone rather overboard on the whole ethnic stereotype thing, I'll direct you to an admittedly humorous profile of everybody's favorite 50 foot tall Native American, at http://www.seanbaby.com/superfriends/apache.htm

(The other 3 "ethnically diverse" characters were Black Vulcan, Super Samurai, and El Dorado. Which at least shows that Hanna-Barbera didn't have it in for Native Americans, specifically. H-B treated horribly any character who wasn't either a white American, an Amazonian Princess, or an alien. Ah, an extraterrestrial alien, not the kind from the wrong side of the big, beautiful wall Mexico's going to pay us to build along our southern border.)

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, the Indians often were savage, bloodthirsty and extremely cruel. People tend to get that way when their lands are invaded and expropriated, but then they were often that way to each other, even before the coming of the White Devil. Unlike you, I had ancestors on both sides of that fight.

I was hitherto oblivious to the "Apache Chief" character. He came into being long after my days of watching cartoons. From what I gather, he was/is a fighter for good, noble and extremely handsome. (I wish I'd looked that good at any stage of my life!) That hardly seems like racist stereotyping. If his command of English was somewhat limited. I can't speak a word of Apache or any other Native language for that matter.

However, we are starting to lapse into an egregious threadjack, which seems inappropriate for this sub-forum. I'll will just say that I used to wear a headband to keep sweat out of my eyes when running or working out. Other than for such vigorous pursuits, I can't see much place for a headband...unless perhaps you are, in fact, an Apache chief!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads