1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Hats....

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Youngbutstylish, Dec 21, 2004.

1. Youngbutstylish

Youngbutstylish Member

I was hoping you guys could point me to some good places to look for hats online. The temperature is finally getting cold enough so that I would like to have one and the few I have are too tight or I just don't like anymore and being in Oklahoma I don't have much to pick from except for baseball hats. I was thinking about a fedora but since I'm in my early 20s I think it might make me look a little pretentious.... Any other suggestions?

2. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

a good newboy cap, or a fur trooper

3. ernest

ernest Senior member

I would like to wear a bowler .

Picture.

4. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

Although I have no affiliation with them (other than being a loyal and regular customer), I get all my hats at Miller Hats in Houston. They have a rather robust online presence at www.millerhats.com.

5. ViroBono

ViroBono Senior member

Then buy one and do so, Ernest. You are only a Eurostar away. Mine came from Lock's of St James - they have been in business a long time and although they made the hat Nelson wore at Trafalgar I gather the French are now welcome at their shop or to buy online... [​IMG] Youngbutstylish - A fedora may look rather 'old'. Have you considered a racing felt or similar hat? Locks have these too (mine is the Sandown), and Bates are also very good. Both ship to the New World. I have worn mine in Tulsa and it was much admired. Lock of St James Bates

6. Youngbutstylish

Youngbutstylish Member

Thanks for the links guys. When I see a bowler I think Charlie Chaplin, when I see a fedora I think of Frank Sinatra.... I don't think I could ever get myself into a bowler for that reason. I think the racing felt might be just what I was looking for, I have seen one before but didn't know what it was. Do you know anywhere that has a charcoal racing felt or possibly black?

7. ViroBono

ViroBono Senior member

Bates's 'Racing Hat' - available in mid brown, green, black and navy.

Lock's 'Voyager' - available in dark brown, mid brown, taupe, mid grey, navy and black

8. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

9. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

I own a brown Optimo fedora and HIGHLY recommend them. Optimo

10. Horace

Horace Senior member

(ernest @ 21 Dec. 2004, 2:48) I would like to wear a bowler . Picture.
    Then buy one and do so, Ernest. Â You are only a Eurostar away. Mine came from Lock's of St James - they have been in business a long time and although they made the hat Nelson wore at Trafalgar I gather the French are now welcome at their shop or to buy online... Â [​IMG] Youngbutstylish - A fedora may look rather 'old'. Â Have you considered a racing felt or similar hat? Â Locks have these too (mine is the Sandown), and Bates are also very good. Â Both ship to the New World. Â I have worn mine in Tulsa and it was much admired. Lock of St James Bates
    I'd also suggest Lock's "Voyager" -- they tell me that many of today's young Gentlemen are wearing them.

11. matcha

matcha Well-Known Member

Where did you find the Cervo's in the US? What do they cost nowadays, and what kind of styles? It is a great article, thanks for posting it.

12. Nonk

Nonk Senior member

ViroBono, what lodge are you in? [​IMG]

13. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

matcha--
    You can get them from Worth and Worth, BUT you have to call about them; that's where I bought mine. I think mine is the Lario, but I might be mistaken. Did you read the article link I posted from Cigar Afficionado?

14. ViroBono

ViroBono Senior member

Quote (ernest @ 21 Dec. 2004, 2:48) I would like to wear a bowler . Picture. Then buy one and do so, Ernest. You are only a Eurostar away. Mine came from Lock's of St James
    ViroBono, what lodge are you in? [​IMG]
    Not the sort you're thinking of. [​IMG]

15. ernest

ernest Senior member

Originally Posted by ernest,21 Dec. 2004, 2:48
    I would like to wear a bowler . Picture.
    Then buy one and do so, Ernest. Â You are only a Eurostar away.
    A member of this bord, used a picture of me and put a hat on my head...

16. ken

ken Senior member

Early 20's? Don't wear a fedora unless you got it from a thrift store and you're opening for ... tonight at the Fireside. Fitted stocking hat, in black.