• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats anyone?

ubermale

Reaction score
I recently bought a narrow-brim trilby from Topman. It didn't quite make a style statement in my city of Hyderabad, India, but I've been given the opportunity to write an article for a newspaper on hats:
1) How they're back in vogue/what styles of hats are currently popular?
2) How to wear them?
3) When to wear them?

Any suggestions? Got until 6pm Indian time, Tuesday.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
With all due respect to TFL, I don't think they are that interested in what styles of hats are "in".

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
With all due respect to TFL, I don't think they are that interested in what styles of hats are "in".

Most of the people who post in the Hat section of FL are not vintage aficionados. And, the hatters and vendors who post there might have an idea of what is being worn today.
wink.gif

Ed13

Reaction score
Stingy brims (brims less than 2") seem to be "in". I have a few but not my normal preference. Most on the fedora lounge probably prefer a wider brim fedora.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently wore a Panama hat I brought for about $80 USD with a Cesare Attolini suit, bow tie and Edward Green shoes. Total strangers would stop me in the street to complement me on the hat. I was surprised to say the least. If I wear the same hat with a more casual ensemble (sportcoat and chinos for example) I still get occasional, but far fewer, comments.

It lead me to ponder why on earth the hat attracted so much attention. It is quite obvious that it is the rest of the ensemble that leads people to notice the hat. The proximity of the hat to the face, however, means that people notice it above all else. A hat should thus be regarded the cherry on top of the cake. It really adds enormously to the sense of being "dressed" - perhaps more so than any other item in a man's wardrobe. Our brains are, after all, biologically hardwired to look first at a person's face.

The trouble is that most hats being worn are cheap and nasty "hipster" hats combined with slobwear. Hats of genuine quality are hard to find these days. Even once hallowed makers such as Borsalino and Stetsons now produce hats of highly dubious quality. The general level of knowledge about hats is even worse than that about quality suits or shoes. For example there is, as with shoes, a hierachy of formality. The top hat is the most formal. Next comes the Homburg, the bowler, the fedora, the trilby, the pork pie and then all the rest.

Hats are also extremely practical items. In the heat, woven hats such as Panama hats help keep the sun off your head by absorbing the heat while still breathing to allow heat inside the hat to dissipate. They are probably even better than sunglasses in this respect, because they keep you cooler as well as shielding your eyes from glare. In the cold, on the other hand, felt hats help keep you warm and dry.

I am extremely fortunate in that I live in Australia where I can easily buy Akubra hats. They have been around for many decades, and make some of the best RTW hats money can buy. They are easily superior to Borsalinos even though they cost a small fraction of the price.

A seller popular with the FL crowd is Hatsdirect, based in Katoomba - a couple of couple of hours drive from Sydney:

http://www.hatsdirect.com/cgi/produc...up=Fedora+Hats

They even have an exclusive hat specially made for them by Akubra called the Federation. The Deluxe version is made in Heritage Quality felt. Heritage Quality felt or otherwise it is one of the very finest RTW hats money can buy. It is a wider brimmed hat with virtually no taper to the crown. I own three in different colours. However, the other regular line city hats from Akubra are all really wonderful. You just have to find the one with the brim width and crown height which suits the shape of your face the best.

halpap

Reaction score
Do you think the step up in quality to the deluxe version of the federation worth the difference in price (about $50 USD)?

compfi

Reaction score
I love Panama Hats but do not own one. I'm about to move to NYC.

Would a Panama Hat be appropriate in NYC for someone who is ~30 years old?

Where's a good online shop for the Panama Hat?

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by compfi
I love Panama Hats but do not own one.
Love of like? If you loved them you'd have one by now.

Would a Panama Hat be appropriate in NYC for someone who is ~30 years old??
No, you cant get a licence to wear one until youre 35. Sorry.
wink.gif

I would buy a unblocked hat from this guy, then have it blocked by this guy. But, considering Summer is almost upon us you may wish to buy a blocked hat from the former.

compfi

Reaction score
I really do love them. I've been a graduate student for the past four years in an environment/city where I would have been mocked for wearing one. That coupled with the fact that as a student, I didn't think I could/should spend the money needed to purchase a nice one. Now that I'm getting a job and moving to NYC, I feel like its time to reconsider. I've been eyeing the Brent Black hats - they do seem a bit pricey though.

Not having spent any time in NYC, I just don't know how well they are "accepted." I have not seen a single person wearing one where I currently live in the past four years.

BTW, why buy an unblocked from one person and have it blocked elsewhere?

Originally Posted by Tomasso
Love of like? If you loved them you'd have one by now.

No, you cant get a licence to wear one until youre 35. Sorry.
wink.gif

I would buy a unblocked hat from this guy, then have it blocked by this guy. But, considering Summer is almost upon us you may wish to buy a blocked hat from the former.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BTW, why buy an unblocked from one person and have it blocked elsewhere?
Why by fabric from Holland & Sherry and have a tailor make the suit? Blocking is an art unto itself and the best blockers are in the U.S. Take a Panama Bob unblocked hat, add an Art Fawcett block and you'll have a Brent Black quality hat for a fraction of his price.
wink.gif

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just bought a fitted bowler, deciding between the 7 1/8 and the 7 1/4 took me quite some thinking. In the end I thought the 7 1/8 was a little too tight and the 7 1/4 would leave me a little room for longer hair. This will be yet another "fit" issue to worry about, just what I need.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love Panama Hats but do not own one. I'm about to move to NYC.

Would a Panama Hat be appropriate in NYC for someone who is ~30 years old?

I was in NYC last summer during the heat wave. I spotted one fellow dressed on 5th Ave in a cream linen suit with a bow tie and Panama hat. He looked not one bit out of place.

So of course you should get one.

Panama Bob is a well known and well regarded seller of hats. However, this eBay seller is good value (just avoid his cheaper hats):

http://stores.ebay.com/MONTECRISTI-U...NO-PANAMA-HATS

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by halpap
Do you think the step up in quality to the deluxe version of the federation worth the difference in price (about $50 USD)?

The deluxe version has somewhat better felt. However, I am not sure why the step up in price is so much. You will most likely be perfectly happy with the regular version. I would choose mainly on the basis of colour rather than felt quality.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads