• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Has anyone here FINISHED getting new clothes and shoes, etc? I am pretty much done I THINK.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I am very largely sated. About the only major sartorial acquisition I could think of would be a tuxedo ensemble, but this isn't too likely to come up.

Truth be told, I could probably get by just fine with a fraction of what I've got:

20 blazers and sport coats (17 from W.W. Chan)
six suits (all from Chan)
50 pairs of shoes (42 of them A-Es, 3 Ferragamos)
About 50 sized shirts, 35 sports shirts.
115 neckties (approx.)
95 pocket squares (approx.)
31 ascots
17 pairs of wool slacks (approx.)
40 pairs of cotton trousers (approx.)

And much else--hats, scarves, outerwear, sweaters and whatnot that I won't bother listing.

Since I don't have nearly as many years to live as most of you, I think this will pretty well hold me for the duration.

I'd sort of like to get a few pairs of really good dress slacks from Chan but tend to balk at the prices since I can get serviceable product RTW at a fraction of the cost.

However, the acquisition is definitely part of the fun. Last year I became a fan of Mercer shirts, and so I have getting a new shirt from them every couple of months, in part because I like the shirts themselves but also in no small measure because I enjoy having something new to look forward to.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I feel I'm pretty much finished and have been for a couple of years now. I really don't want for anything. I order a handful of shirts and buy a few ties every year, but that's about it.

Now then stranger!

I actually referenced you post number 11!:D

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Now then stranger!

I actually referenced you post number 11!:D

Haha but of course! I guess one downside is that I don't have a whole lot to post about in MC any more. :) I still really enjoy clothing but I have to admit that shifting from acquisition mode to maintenance mode has been very liberating.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Not quite there yet but on the road.

I remember one of your posts where you said you'd spent a long time acquiring a wide range of outfits but found yourself returning to the same much-smaller set of favourites most days, so you downsized the excess. I read that at a time when the bar in my closet was bending under the weight of rarely-if-ever worn stuff so it had an impact on me, and while I'm hardly down to austerity levels, I have at least turned the corner. It's like that tip about turning your hangers around when you wear something, and after a year throw out (or consider it at least) all the stuff on the unturned hangers.

Anyway post a pic when the mood takes you, there's always room for some quality here!

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

However, the acquisition is definitely part of the fun. Last year I became a fan of Mercer shirts, and so I have getting a new shirt from them every couple of months, in part because I like the shirts themselves but also in no small measure because I enjoy having something new to look forward to.

I agree with this. I came up with a plan to acquire enough pieces for me to be well dressed in any situation and to address seasonality over a 2 year period that started in earnest about a year ago (and have since knocked 2 suits, 2 odd jackets and 8 pairs of trousers off my list of things I "need"). Once I'm done acquiring these items, my spending will go down dramatically, but I suspect I'll still buy the occasional Hober, shirt or maybe odd jacket to have something new to look forward to (plus I'll have to replace things).

CrimsonSox

Reaction score
I think there are many good reasons to continue the search:

1. You're an explorer. Perhaps you have a bespoke suit from London. But you're curious to try Paris, to see how the differences in style, fit, and cut look and feel on you. It's like wanting to experiment with a new cuisine, or travel to a country you've never seen.

2. You're a perfectionist. You want a suit that is not only flawless, but is the best possible one to complement your figure, and has the highest quality of construction in the world. It's like wanting to find the greatest espresso or steak you can experience.

3. You're a collector. You appreciate the beauty of a hand-made shoe or shirt. It's the same drive that leads people to assemble an art collection. Perhaps you have a diverse taste, and want shirts from a variety of countries, makers, and time periods. Or you may develop an expertise and interest in specific types of clothing, like vintage Brooks Brothers shirts, or heavier weight suiting fabric from before World War II.

4. You're an artist. You are designing a bespoke suit, alongside a master tailor and craftsman. Oleg Cassini said it best, of his times visiting tailors with Cary Grant. They considered, debated, and chose every detail of cut, fabric, and stitching: "We were the architects of our appearance; we supervised each new suit the way an architect guides the construction of a building."

Last edited:

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oddly enough, the one thing that I am still on the look-out for is what many on this forum suggest as one of the first to acquire - a navy blazer/sportcoat.

Wouldn't you know it... Finally found the navy sportcoat.

Paul Stuart (made in Italy so not Samuelsohn, anyone know who they use for Italian stuff?) unstructured patch pockets situation, in wool flannel.

I like that it's unstructured and patch pockets, nice and casual. I hope it doesn't run too warm being flannel, but since it has no lining I don't expect it to be a problem.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Paul Stuart (made in Italy so not Samuelsohn, anyone know who they use for Italian stuff?) unstructured patch pockets situation, in wool flannel.

I like that it's unstructured and patch pockets, nice and casual. I hope it doesn't run too warm being flannel, but since it has no lining I don't expect it to be a problem.

Sounds awesome. I'm planning to get something similar made up for what will hopefully complete my odd jacket collection. Air force blue linen with patch pockets is great for a summer blazer if you ever decide to get a warm weather version.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think I am very largely sated. About the only major sartorial acquisition I could think of would be a tuxedo ensemble, but this isn't too likely to come up.

Truth be told, I could probably get by just fine with a fraction of what I've got:

115 neckties (approx.)
31 ascots

And much else--hats, scarves, outerwear, sweaters and whatnot that I won't bother listing.

Since I don't have nearly as many years to live as most of you, I think this will pretty well hold me for the duration.

I'd sort of like to get a few pairs of really good dress slacks from Chan but tend to balk at the prices since I can get serviceable product RTW at a fraction of the cost.

Wow, thats a lot of blazers and shoes.

If I succeed with restraint, I won't get to those numbers, but I can see it happening if I stay the same size.

CrimsonSox

Reaction score

Good choice -- Paul Stuart's excellent. I believe it's made by either Isaia or St. Andrew's/Santandrea. Any pictures of the new sportscoat?

Last edited:

dapperdoctor

Reaction score

115 neckties (approx.)
31 ascots

^^^this guy is good

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Motion denied and get in line. You do not have permission to leave this planet before me. Stay at your post soldier. ;)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads