Has anyone here FINISHED getting new clothes and shoes, etc? I am pretty much done I THINK.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by archetypal_yuppie, Jul 22, 2013.

1. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

Wow. So it's true; eventually, every thread topic DOES come up again.

2. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

I'm not at the point of having enough yet, but I'm starting to give serious thought to what I actually have use for and how much closet space I have. Seasonality and Chicago's bipolar weather (it's either cold or warm for the most part) is the thing that is really expanding my wardrobe plans the most. My main project is acquiring summer and winter suits (and a nice midnight DB for events that are just under black tie on the formality scale) and expanding my odd trouser wardrobe (including replacing my mostly mediocre trousers (spent much more on jackets starting out) with decent MTM). I'd like to refine my shirt collection, add a couple more odd jackets and a couple ties, but those really aren't priorities (of course, ties and a few shirts are a good bit cheaper than tailored clothing so it may happen anyways).

3. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Shut up old-timers :)

4. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

been at full saturation for a while...

5. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

6. Viral

Viral Senior member

what about da gators??

7. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

Yeah I have been interested in EG Shannon, they can be very very nice. But I consider them a bit affected, given my NYC location which does not call for them ever, and the general thematic mismatch of super high quality vs. the idea of a boot. I have “sports/climbing” boots.

For me, the idea here has been to accomplish the goal of being well dressed // having a great wardrobe. So that goal is basically nearly complete, in that I can fulfill pretty much any situation or look I want with excellent stuff. That’s not to say that it isn’t fun getting new stuff. But in terms of living effectively and optimizing resources, I feel that I should attempt to exert restraint.

I have only rarely ventured into bespoke. I’ve personally found it to be 1) unnecessary, with good tailoring I can a great fit and good quality at Paul Stuart or with Corneliani or Canali etc much more cheaply; & 2) I find the wait and uncertainty of results in bespoke to be annoying and to involve unnecessary anxiety.

I’m sure it is fun once you have a strong relationship and can choose from infinity cloths and stuff, but I have better uses for cash at this point, at the margin.

Yeah, this is the way I approach it. With the set of items I have, I can come up with infinity combinations.

Yeah. I don’t truly expect to stop, but I think I should be able to, and hope to, pull back on my shopping & expenditures by ~75%, which approximates the difference between build up rate and replacement rate.

I buy high quality stuff, and am good at taking care of it, so a lot of my stuff ought to last 10-20 yrs. Need to avoid gaining weight, but considering the $$$ I have invested in staying at this weight, it's a pretty good motivator. Maybe one of the few positive things of having an expensive wardrobe.

Yeah I have a tux, but it is fairly crappy, bought in college for houseparties etc. I don’t wear one often, didn’t need one for my wedding (beach), and when I do wear one, it tends to be in situations with dancing and drinking (messy), so I’m not sure that I want to significantly upgrade until I am older. Once it starts to really show it’s age or my peers start dressing better, it’ll get replaced.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  8. archetypal_yuppie

I've definitely seen my share of "wow!" shoes on this site. But I need to weight ~$4K on shoes vs. $4K on anything else, and that's where it get's tricky. Also, wife would have a heart attack (despite extremely high saving rate... annoying). In that respect, I am lucky I bought a lot of this stuff before I got married, and lots of it before she moved in.

9. GABE Tailored

GABE Tailored Affiliate Vendor

Apart from the hobbyist mentality others have noted, there exists one important reason you will never truly be finished:

As life goes on your needs will surely evolve, as will your tastes. The changes may be subtle but they will induce new opportunities for acquisition.

10. archetypal_yuppie

Yeah. But I think that I can handle these evolutions, for the most part, with the replacement rate. I hope that my overall wardrobe will not continue to grow the way it has over the last four years.

11. kayhill

kayhill Senior member

Wow, I feel like a total spendthrift.

I have roughly the same amount of business attire you have (not counting stuff that I have capitalised because I ended up not liking them) and around the same amount of casual gear (though different types) and I feel I've only just started putting my wardrobe together ...

The big caveat to that is I'm going to gradually build up the quality of my collection - at the moment that is fairly average.

Also, I have nowhere near as many shoes - very jealous. (Unless you count football boots, of which I have an inordinate amount)

12. dapperdoctor

dapperdoctor Senior member

Yes, like others, I have just about everything I need too. Now I plan to be more selective in what I buy and make sure that the pieces I purchase are definite upgrades. Some things just wear out over time so you will need to buy eventually anyway.

13. archetypal_yuppie

Ha.

Shoes was my first major endeavor, got way sucked in. Got about 8 pairs of EG level shoes in 3 years, and have managed to dial it back to 2 pair per year for the last 2 years. Now I see pictures of ones that I want, but I think to myself, "but they are so similar to XYZ that I have," so I manage to avoid buying. Odds are I will buy a pair a year going forward for fun, if I win money gambling or have some other similar justification.

14. kayhill

kayhill Senior member

EG! I am very, very jealous.

Well done, sir.

15. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have a couple things I'd like, such as a winter-weight blazer. But mostly I just buy replacements -- I tend to burn through shirts quickly.