Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Handwashing sweater experiences

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by justsayno, Jan 13, 2010.

1. justsayno

justsayno Senior member

I handwashed a made in scotland BB saxxon wool sweater yesterday and all is fine except that the elastic bands on the cuffs and waistband lost their elasticity. I handwashed a Colombo cashmere sweater but that turned out great. Why did the BB wool sweater fail?

2. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member

3. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

Also, it is probably more romantic if you handwash your sweaters with someone else.

- B

4. holymadness

holymadness Senior member

I'm not sure what the fuss about hand washing is. I've machine washed all my cashmere sweaters in fabric garment bags on the gentle cycle with cold water and they don't pill or stretch.

5. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Was the OP's sweater old? I've never heard of lost elasticity on a new one.
    I'm not sure what the fuss about hand washing is. I've machine washed all my cashmere sweaters in fabric garment bags on the gentle cycle with cold water and they don't pill or stretch.
    My washer has a 'delicates' cycle but uses warm water. Warm water = shrinkage. Best everyone check their washer settings before proceeding with this.

6. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

except that the elastic bands on the cuffs and waistband lost their elasticity.
    When blocking (laying flat and shaping to dry) the sweater you need to manipulate the waist/wrist bands back to their original shape.

7. bigbris1

bigbris1 Senior member

+

When blocking (laying flat and shaping to dry) the sweater you need to manipulate the waist/wrist bands back to their original shape.

= works?