• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Haggling (today) in stores

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of course people are cheap! And especially when times are tight, yet they want the same stuff
biggrin.gif

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mannix
I work at a retail store, and people try to haggle all the time. We do not allow this practice, so the price is as marked. I never realized how cheap people are until I started working in retail. People will ask to get half off for a loose button, no joke.

And your point is................

Mannix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Philip1978
And your point is................

I wasn't making one...just commenting. Thank you, come again.

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wasn't making one...just commenting. Thank you, come again.

Why wouldn't you try to get as much as you can for your money?

JPYPSU07

Reaction score
I did it at Cole Haan on Newbury street right before christmas. I smiled at the SA, she giggled, and I got the shoes for $75 instead of $100 marked down from $350. She then hit on me in some little cubby underneath the stairs that had a cash register in it as she rung up my shoes. Give it a shot!

Mannix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why wouldn't you try to get as much as you can for your money?

I suppose the point I was trying to make, was that people will make up ridiculous claims in order to save literally one dollar. I hear this all the time "can I get something off for this spot?" I ask "where's the spot?" then they point to it, and it's the tiniest spot on the underside of the hem on a pair of pants or something. It's super ridiculous. Plus, most people are rude when they ask for money off so that's another reason not to oblige them. You've never worked a retail job I take it? Don't comment if you don't know how it is on the other side.

I realize people are trying to save money in these hard times, but some go way over board.

doublebucklemonk

Reaction score
I saw a segment on 60 minutes or some similar show probably 10 years ago about a guy in NYC who only barters for what he needs. He is a painter and he trades paintings for whatever he needs. They followed him around as he tried like a dozen little shops in 6 hours before he found somebody who would accept one of his paintings in exchange for a toaster. It worked, but sure seemed to take a lot of effort.

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suppose the point I was trying to make, was that people will make up ridiculous claims in order to save literally one dollar. I hear this all the time "can I get something off for this spot?" I ask "where's the spot?" then they point to it, and it's the tiniest spot on the underside of the hem on a pair of pants or something. It's super ridiculous. Plus, most people are rude when they ask for money off so that's another reason not to oblige them. You've never worked a retail job I take it? Don't comment if you don't know how it is on the other side.

I realize people are trying to save money in these hard times, but some go way over board.

Wow you guys are strict at Wal-mart aren't you?

Mannix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow you guys are strict at Wal-mart aren't you?

Funny....but I don't work at Wal-Mart.
fight[1].gif

clarity

Reaction score
I work at a retail store, and people try to haggle all the time. We do not allow this practice, so the price is as marked. I never realized how cheap people are until I started working in retail. People will ask to get half off for a loose button, no joke.

I was given a discount on a book at Barnes and Noble one time because the corner was bent and had a white crease in it(the cover was black). Honestly I did not notice the corner (or care) but hey, I wasn't going to complain. I may have even accidentally bent it myself, who knows.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is why I never shop Department stores, strictly discount spots, and even then I go to the clearance racks. I will ask for a further discount based on damage however slight. Usually nets an additional 10% off.

I will also ask whether there are any coupons or promotions I'm not aware of, sometimes to my delight.

Luddite

Reaction score
I have found some success with RTW suits and coats in simply saying "Look, I love it, but I'm tossing up between two, and, well, to be honest, the other one is $100 cheaper, and..." or similar. If someone thinks they have a 50/50 chance of a sale, they might cut the price to raise the odds.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads