• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

H&M lovers and frequent go-ers

gqreader239

Reaction score
My sister is in New York city and will be visiting the 5th avenue and 18th street store. Is there anything that you really love that jumps out at you? Im needing some specific article of clothing recomendations. Before tuesday or monday night at the very latest. Thanks.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
stock rotates there pretty fast, so unless someone goes multiple times aa week, their advice will probably not help. Just buy what jumps out at you, at their prices, it's hard to really mess up (just check tve labels to avoid polyester and be on the look out for dodgey stitching)

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gqreader239
thats a good point, however, I am poor and am not in New york with my sister. Her baller ass is there and offered to buy me stuff. I must take advantage of this opportunity somehow....

oops, sorry I misunderstood. If you're not there to handle and inspect the goods, I'd honestly pass. Much of their stuff is wacky/tacky/trendoid, and fit can be erratic, and you often have to search through the rack to find the one item that doesn't have shoddy construction (their quality control is non-existant, everything out of the factory makes it to the floor). It's no great loss though, their summer stuff is always really pedestrian.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
fit is almost impossible to know, also I could describe to you a "yellow button up long sleeve shirt" and there could easily be 2 or three of them there, all slightly different.

sounds like you are just getting excited at the prospect of freebies. gotta get over it.

itskub

Reaction score
Give her your size and maybe a blazer or two, and khakis?

Personally, even as a college student on a budget, I dont bother with H&M anymore. the quality is awful. I expect my clothes to last longer then half a year.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
I seriously don't understand how people wash/wear their clothes. I always hear people say h&m, AA, gap, etc... clothes barely survive a month or two. What the hell are people doing to these clothes? Hell, i have some express stuff from a few years ago when i thought it was fashionable and they're still in normal condition. I have a pair of american eagle jeans from high school that i used to wear all the time but now only wear for outdoor work where i know i'm going to get really dirty and possibly rip them and the things look practically flawless. I know that sometimes you'll get really unlucky and a piece will have a flaw and fall apart relatively quickly due to poor quality control, but i think that's the exception more than the rule. I don't know if people here and especially on sufu say those things to justify themselves buying $80 plain tshirts and other really expensive clothes or what. I still own a bunch of expensive basics too, but i'm not going to kid myself.

Moral to the story, gqreader, is not to worry and get a few h&m pieces. It's one of the best styled brands for the price range in terms of fit and design. I don't think anyone would reccomend you buy your wow/impact pieces for $200 here, but if you want to buy tshirts, button downs, pants, shorts, and small jackets(don't tell me sauce/kix's m65 doesn't look great) go for it. Hell, i like buying more expensive brands now, but i still wish i had an h&m within 8 states of me. I still think bottoms would be your best bet for their summer clothes as it's true that shirts sometimes fit differently. But they're cheap, so if you know your size, your sister should be able to help you out and you'll get one that fits pretty well.

apocalypse later

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
I seriously don't understand how people wash/wear their clothes. I always hear people say h&m, AA, gap, etc... clothes barely survive a month or two. What the hell are people doing to these clothes? Hell, i have some express stuff from a few years ago when i thought it was fashionable and they're still in normal condition. I have a pair of american eagle jeans from high school that i used to wear all the time but now only wear for outdoor work where i know i'm going to get really dirty and possibly rip them and the things look practically flawless. I know that sometimes you'll get really unlucky and a piece will have a flaw and fall apart relatively quickly due to poor quality control, but i think that's the exception more than the rule. I don't know if people here and especially on sufu say those things to justify themselves buying $80 plain tshirts and other really expensive clothes or what. I still own a bunch of expensive basics too, but i'm not going to kid myself.

Moral to the story, gqreader, is not to worry and get a few h&m pieces. It's one of the best styled brands for the price range in terms of fit and design. I don't think anyone would reccomend you buy your wow/impact pieces for $200 here, but if you want to buy tshirts, button downs, pants, shorts, and small jackets(don't tell me sauce/kix's m65 doesn't look great) go for it. Hell, i like buying more expensive brands now, but i still wish i had an h&m within 8 states of me. I still think bottoms would be your best bet for their summer clothes as it's true that shirts sometimes fit differently. But they're cheap, so if you know your size, your sister should be able to help you out and you'll get one that fits pretty well.

I have to agree, slightly. It's true that after six months, an H&M basic tee will probably look horrible. But honestly, I have a few of those striped v-neck sweaters and striped hoodies that stilll look new after three months worth of washing and wearing. I guess I don't know how you guys manage to kill your clothing so quickly.

offline100

Reaction score
+++ Good advice here. Fit is indeed erratic as is stock. You "just gotta be there."

I'm surprised people think the fabric is low quality -- never had that impression, especially considering the low prices. I'm mostly anti-brand names and fashion trends of all kinds, but H&M fills a very important niche in the market -- giving college students an affordable place to shop with mostly decent looking, trim fitting clothing at a bargain. It's the Gap killer-app.

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
+googol What's really weird is all the talk of things "falling apart" over on MC, where the guys are assuredly not skating in their Brioni suits.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
It's just a justification for spending 10x what normal people pay for essentially the same item(to the untrained eye). I recognize that the workmanship on EG, APC, Japanese brands, Euro brands are nice and much better than mall brands and hm and uniqlo, but the quality of a $700 NDG m65 isn't 23 times better than the $30 old navy one. We'll probably wear it for almost the same amount of time. I'm not knocking people at all for spending more on a piece that is exactly what they want aesthetic, fit and quality wise, but i am not going to pretend it makes sense. We're all here on this forum because we enjoy throwing money away and looking good while doing it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads