• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Guys, how many of you can honestly tell if somebody is wearing a quality suit?

spidercan

Reaction score
Unless I can actually feel the fabric, or inspect it for hand-made buttonholes/sleeve head etc, I usually can't.

Sure some may point to the way it fits, but one can easily purchase a $8,000 Kiton in the wrong size, or a $150 slim fit Alfani that fits them perfectly. And quite honestly many Kitons are not very attractively cut anyway. I've heard of people saying a polyester suit's fabric just looks bad, but honestly without touching one I usually can't tell it apart from wool from a few feet away. The supposed "sheen" just isn't apparent to my eye, and who's it say it isn't a 90% wool 10% silk blend if it is shiny?

I think drape and lapel roll are the only legitimate way one can differentiate from sight. But honestly I feel like drape is such a nebulous description, and seriously raise your hand if you can really differentiate drape and aren't just BSing to make yourself sound good on teh stylefrvm.

So for me, I only look at lapel roll, and I'm not even completely confident with it. I have a Kiton with a horrible lapel roll that's worse than a $10 suit (or at least my fused polyester Armani), but I believe a really nice 3-2 roll can only be done with a hand sewn lapel and canvass.

Thoughts? Feel free to disagree

I have too much time on my hands, so just for kicks, can you guess from these photos? I realize these are static images vs moving IRL, and I'm probably making these extra hard :)

<$900 (ie cheap brands)
$1k-2K (designer fused suits such as Armani, D&G (there are no Lanvin by Caruso or Prada by Belvest etc))
>$3K (high end Styleforum approved, think Kiton, Attolini)

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

6)

Bonus)
[

:foo:)

Last edited:

minervau

Reaction score
I agree with you in many respects. It's easy to see good fit, but that is not necessarily indicative of high-quality materials or construction (e.g., full canvas).

I think a few properties are characteristic of nice suits, and can be noticeable from far away:

1) Collar gap as a person moves or raises their arms -- I feel like only well-constructed "good" suits -- e.g., at least half-canvas -- will show little to no collar gap at all times as a person moves around. Even a well-fitted Alfani, to give one example, might look amazing when a person is robo-posing or with their arms at their sides, but will show collar gap when they reach up or even lift their arm for a handshake.

2) Lapel roll -- as you indicated.

3) Button holes or pick stitching -- It's not always the perfect thing to go by nowadays, when machines can basically emulate pick-stitching, but one still sees this more on high-end garments.

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Distinguishing very cheap from expensive suits is often possible, e.g. by spotting
- Cheap plastic buttons!!!
- Bad optics of the lapel roll
- Terrible pattern matching in case of suits with stripes, windowpane etc.
- And in some cases the fabrics really look cheap

It gets tougher to visually distinguish different levels of quality once you reached a certain level, e.g. Canali vs. Zegna vs. Brioni

spidercan

Reaction score
Nice. A couple points that were brought up that I didn't think of:
-pattern matching
-collar gaping (although I think this is more of a symptom of a low arm hole, another cheap suit indicator. Although even budget brands have been raising their armholes recently)

Seems like lapel roll is a common one.

Buttons: Can't say I completely agree with buttons, I pulled out my Isaia and Kiton suit and they both have pretty run-of-the mill plastic black buttons. Although I suppose if one were to have really nice horn buttons this would be a good indicator...but once again, I can't differentiate fake palstic horn from real horn unless it's up close (that being said I don't really have a discerning eye for buttons)

Keep it coming guys!

Last edited:

spidercan

Reaction score

:cry: I am shocked.

Ha you made me go through my closet. Two Armani Black label suits, and my Lanvin by Caruso have horn buttons. The Kiton and Isaia definitely plastic. Sartorio I have for sale looks like plastic, although there's sort of a horn looking design on the back, and Givenchy looks to have horn. So horn for designer, plastic for high-end Neapolitan. Go figure. Just never checked my buttons until you brought it up, but I'll take hand-sewn buttonholes over horn buttons any day :slayer:

Last edited:

LaymanX

Reaction score
Being surrounded by suits daily in the finance district, it's not that hard to tell after a while. Drape and fit are primarily what I look for. Most cheap suits have boxy, padded shoulders with low arm holes and are 'stiff' from the fusing.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you usually can just tell. if you cant, you need to handle more high end suits. oh i love how snobby that sounds. :)

spidercan

Reaction score

Was about to mention this as well, can't think of any reason why a higher end maker would skimp on buttons.

Ah makes sense. The Isaia buttons do seem to have a bit more texture up close.

Last edited:

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is one of the more interesting threads of late. Other than nuances of fit, I am not sure I can differentiate, to tell the truth.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads