1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Guilty pleasures?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Timothy, Dec 14, 2002.

1. Timothy

Timothy Well-Known Member

Ok, some of you may list fashion itself as a guilty pleasure, but I am wondering what labels you may list as one. Mainly those that are not regarded as being of "great quality", or anything else that could be considered to make a label "great", yet you still enjoy for whatever reason. For me I am almost fixated by a shirt company named Damon. A couple of years ago I found a black, short sleeved button down that is my favorite shirt. It has epaulets and is just faded perfectly to me (before I found this shirt I never liked epaulets). Since then I've found other Damon shirts that also appeal to me almost as much. Though they are an inexpensive shirt company they still possess that "something" that catches my attention. So what is it for you vintage Macgregor clothing, or Members Only jackets, or some unknown, modern company?

2. Nick M

Nick M Well-Known Member

I've got a whole drawer full of ties from Tie Rack. Their quality can oftentimes be pretty random, but, on occasion, I pass by the store and a pattern or color will appeal, so I buy one. Come to think of it, ties in general. I probably wear a tie once a month, if that. At this rate, it'll be 10 years or more before I wear them all, and that's making the unlikely assumption I never buy another one. Â [​IMG] Cheers, Nick.

3. pstoller

pstoller Well-Known Member

I have a hard time deciding which of my sartorial pleasures are the guiltiest. The whole fixation deserves at least a mild blush, especially since my "rent-a-geek" gig never requires me to dress any particular way, and I'm not prone to high-power socializing. There's something perverse about owning, like, 100 pairs of slacks, while living in a dozen pairs of jeans about 90% of the time. In keeping with that, I have Nick's tie problem. I almost never wear them, apart from a few evenings out in NYC around the holidays. Yet I have around 400 of 'em. So, you could call that a guilty pleasure. In fact, having mass quantities of clothing in general qualifies. I have more of everything than I need, except for underwear"”running out of something vital ensures that I'll do the laundry regularly. But, in Timothy's sense of having a penchant for something "cheap" or "uncool," I suppose there are a few contenders in my closets. I have a number of shirts and sweaters by Tony Lambert, about whom I have been unable to learn a thing. They don't seem to be especially well-made, but the materials and weaves are so distinctive that I like them anyway. TL is sort of like a low-rent Jhane Barnes, for whom I also have a "thing." I have a vintage pair of Hush Puppies in a pale, yellowish beige leather with matching perforated suede vamps. They're so hideous, they're cool. I wear them confident that, sooner or later, Miu Miu will issue shoes just like them. [​IMG] I'm sure I'll think of others as this thread progresses...

4. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Well-Known Member

FOUR HUNDRED?.?.?.?.?.?

5. Will Moose

Will Moose Active Member

I have a fixation with Abercrombie and Fitch jeans. I own a few pairs of them and the quality isn't super great, but its not all that bad either. The fit isn't super great and neither are the washes but I still like 'em.

6. Renwick

Renwick Well-Known Member

I have quite a bit of Structure stuff and I am almost always wear something from a thrift store as some part of my out fit.

I also own 3 pairs of versace pants.

7. pstoller

Uh, yeah. However, keep in mind that I've never even paid close to retail for a tie. The majority were thrift shop purchases for $5 or less. Most of the rest, I got at outlets or discount shops for no more than @$15. I may have splurged on a couple at consignment shops, but even then I didn't shell out a whole lot.

Given the labels on most of these ties, I suppose they represent someone's annual salary at retail value, but anyone who's purchased 15-20 ties from the likes of Brioni, Charvet, et al., at regular prices has paid about the same for their collection as I've paid for mine.

8. Timothy

The tie thing seems to be an epidemic of sorts for I have the same problem, yet not as massive as pstoller or Nick. Only 30 or so ties I rarely get the chance to wear. I even have a sub-problem by lately picking up woven square bottom ties when I find them. It seems that maybe the tie is to men like the shoe is to women? Except that I have a ton of shoes too [​IMG]

9. thc

thc Well-Known Member

I guess my only thing that comes close to a "cheap" guilty pleasure is J. Crew boxers.

10. Steve B.

Steve B. Well-Known Member

PStoller:

God bless you. I thought I had a problem with 150 ties, half of which I had to send to my brother to store/wear when I moved, and none of which I currently wear. Perhaps when the guerilla book tour begins. If I ever finish the damn thing.

Generally I've gotten them pretty cheap, but nowhere near as cheap as you have. I applaud both your proclivity and efficiency...

11. pstoller

Who say you haven't? [​IMG] Let's just not get started on shirts...

12. Timothy

I've got my ties all for basically pennies. About a year or so ago I went into a local Junior League and found 3 Hermes', and a Giorgio Armani tie for a buck a piece. Also able to pick up a brand new Fendi tie for $5, and a Prada one for like $15 or $20 lately. Bunch of those woven square ties for $4 to $7 per tie. I actually want to find a bunch of 100% silk ties of similar color/colors to sow together into a scarf. My local Salvo sells them for like 30 cents a pop. You can't beat it.

13. Joe G

Joe G Well-Known Member

My guilty pleasure is simply finding things at insanely low prices. Now, I have spent retail on a few items that one basically never sees discounted (Hermes winter coats and sportcoats, Kiton sportcoats, stuff like that) but what I really enjoy is finding the great deals, the Kiton ties for 20 euros or the Fray shirt for 50 bucks US....

Besides that, I'd say shirts cut in traditional patterns using wild fabrics. I can't get enough of Paul Smith or Etro, or for that matter Jhane Barnes.

Peace,

JG

14. Steve B.

Steve B. Well-Known Member

PS: Re Shirts- let's just say my closet bar has broken twice in the last couple of years from the weight of dress shirts... Joe G: Like those sorts of shirts, too- but have to be 18 in ETRO, and Paul Smith doesn't make 18. 17.5 is way too tight [​IMG] . Haven't seen much interesting JB lately- but really like the shirts I have. One looks like a Jackson Pollock painting....Also, has anyone else noticed that her sizes run large? XL usually fits me great....

15. Renwick

Renwick Well-Known Member

I once posted pictures of my closet/room where I use those giant metal stoage racks. I got them after breaking my closet bar more times than I can count.

16. pstoller

Haven't seen much interesting JB lately, but really like the shirts I have. One looks like a Jackson Pollock painting. Also, has anyone else noticed that her sizes run large? XL usually fits me great...
    OK, to give you an idea, I have over 75 shirts by Jhane Barnes alone. About the sizing, I don't think they run large across the board: I can wear a medium without looking or feeling like I'm wearing my dad's clothes, although I'm also fine in a small. I do wish her cuts were more tapered, but I love the prints, so I wear 'em anyway. I also love Paul Smith shirts, though I have far fewer. Etro, I still don't get. There's a dimensionality to Barnes and a wit to Smith that I really love, but Etro just seems loud and busy to me. Then again, maybe it's just an inner reflex telling me that I have to draw the line somewhere.

17. Joe G

Joe G Well-Known Member

Her only collar that fits me properly is the hidden-snap polo collar. The others all consistently have issues. Odd, because I can't think of a single other shirtmaker with whom I've had such issues.

Those snap-polo collar ones are cut a bit loose through the chest and wasit, but not more so than most artisan (as opposed to "designer" Italian shirts. My JB shirts are (I just checked, which was easy because I only have a few) all size L. (Well, "L/G" to be technical about it.) For reference, all of my Etro, Paul Smith, and PS Paul Smith shirts are either 41s or in rare instances 42s.

As far as cheap stuff I wear all the time, it would have to be belts. For some reason, I don't spend money around my waist. And it's not because I wear braces -- I only wear them with dinner jackets, IF I have to. I'll buy odd belts, I have a cork one I bought from a tourist-trap in the Algarve (Portugal) that I love. But mostly, I buy belts on clearance at Banana for between US$2.99 and US$9.99.

Peace,

JG

18. davei

davei Well-Known Member

For me, it's anything polyester. I have lots of polyester ties from the '70s/'80s (bought a whole packing crate of vintage ones for a dollar at auction) which are wonderfully tacky. Actually ties would be a guilty pleasure as well, especially loud & ridiculous ones [​IMG]

19. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Well-Known Member

there was a great article in GQ (or was it esquire?) that talked about this very subject. funny article, started off with a story about a woman talking about her husband as if he were having a secret affair, which turned out to be his covert ops in getting a MTM purple label suit.

myself, i'm a sucker for almost anything Luigi Borrelli or Brioni makes, and i can never seem to leave a neiman marcus without buying a tie or SOMETHING....

20. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Well-Known Member

*faints*