• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Guilty pleasures?

Timothy

Reaction score
Ok, some of you may list fashion itself as a guilty pleasure, but I am wondering what labels you may list as one. Mainly those that are not regarded as being of "great quality", or anything else that could be considered to make a label "great", yet you still enjoy for whatever reason. For me I am almost fixated by a shirt company named Damon. A couple of years ago I found a black, short sleeved button down that is my favorite shirt. It has epaulets and is just faded perfectly to me (before I found this shirt I never liked epaulets). Since then I've found other Damon shirts that also appeal to me almost as much. Though they are an inexpensive shirt company they still possess that "something" that catches my attention. So what is it for you vintage Macgregor clothing, or Members Only jackets, or some unknown, modern company?

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got a whole drawer full of ties from Tie Rack. Their quality can oftentimes be pretty random, but, on occasion, I pass by the store and a pattern or color will appeal, so I buy one. Come to think of it, ties in general. I probably wear a tie once a month, if that. At this rate, it'll be 10 years or more before I wear them all, and that's making the unlikely assumption I never buy another one. Â
biggrin.gif
Cheers, Nick.

pstoller

Reaction score
I have a hard time deciding which of my sartorial pleasures are the guiltiest. The whole fixation deserves at least a mild blush, especially since my "rent-a-geek" gig never requires me to dress any particular way, and I'm not prone to high-power socializing. There's something perverse about owning, like, 100 pairs of slacks, while living in a dozen pairs of jeans about 90% of the time. In keeping with that, I have Nick's tie problem. I almost never wear them, apart from a few evenings out in NYC around the holidays. Yet I have around 400 of 'em. So, you could call that a guilty pleasure. In fact, having mass quantities of clothing in general qualifies. I have more of everything than I need, except for underwear"”running out of something vital ensures that I'll do the laundry regularly. But, in Timothy's sense of having a penchant for something "cheap" or "uncool," I suppose there are a few contenders in my closets. I have a number of shirts and sweaters by Tony Lambert, about whom I have been unable to learn a thing. They don't seem to be especially well-made, but the materials and weaves are so distinctive that I like them anyway. TL is sort of like a low-rent Jhane Barnes, for whom I also have a "thing." I have a vintage pair of Hush Puppies in a pale, yellowish beige leather with matching perforated suede vamps. They're so hideous, they're cool. I wear them confident that, sooner or later, Miu Miu will issue shoes just like them.
wink.gif
I'm sure I'll think of others as this thread progresses...

Will Moose

Reaction score
I have a fixation with Abercrombie and Fitch jeans. I own a few pairs of them and the quality isn't super great, but its not all that bad either. The fit isn't super great and neither are the washes but I still like 'em.

Renwick

Reaction score
I have quite a bit of Structure stuff and I am almost always wear something from a thrift store as some part of my out fit.

I also own 3 pairs of versace pants.

pstoller

Reaction score
FOUR HUNDRED?.?.?.?.?.?

Uh, yeah. However, keep in mind that I've never even paid close to retail for a tie. The majority were thrift shop purchases for $5 or less. Most of the rest, I got at outlets or discount shops for no more than @$15. I may have splurged on a couple at consignment shops, but even then I didn't shell out a whole lot.

Given the labels on most of these ties, I suppose they represent someone's annual salary at retail value, but anyone who's purchased 15-20 ties from the likes of Brioni, Charvet, et al., at regular prices has paid about the same for their collection as I've paid for mine.

Timothy

Reaction score
The tie thing seems to be an epidemic of sorts for I have the same problem, yet not as massive as pstoller or Nick. Only 30 or so ties I rarely get the chance to wear. I even have a sub-problem by lately picking up woven square bottom ties when I find them. It seems that maybe the tie is to men like the shoe is to women? Except that I have a ton of shoes too
confused.gif

thc

Reaction score
I guess my only thing that comes close to a "cheap" guilty pleasure is J. Crew boxers.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
PStoller:

God bless you. I thought I had a problem with 150 ties, half of which I had to send to my brother to store/wear when I moved, and none of which I currently wear. Perhaps when the guerilla book tour begins. If I ever finish the damn thing.

Generally I've gotten them pretty cheap, but nowhere near as cheap as you have. I applaud both your proclivity and efficiency...

pstoller

Reaction score
I thought I had a problem with 150 ties...
Who say you haven't?
wink.gif
Let's just not get started on shirts...

Timothy

Reaction score
I've got my ties all for basically pennies. About a year or so ago I went into a local Junior League and found 3 Hermes', and a Giorgio Armani tie for a buck a piece. Also able to pick up a brand new Fendi tie for $5, and a Prada one for like $15 or $20 lately. Bunch of those woven square ties for $4 to $7 per tie. I actually want to find a bunch of 100% silk ties of similar color/colors to sow together into a scarf. My local Salvo sells them for like 30 cents a pop. You can't beat it.

Joe G

Reaction score
My guilty pleasure is simply finding things at insanely low prices. Now, I have spent retail on a few items that one basically never sees discounted (Hermes winter coats and sportcoats, Kiton sportcoats, stuff like that) but what I really enjoy is finding the great deals, the Kiton ties for 20 euros or the Fray shirt for 50 bucks US....

Besides that, I'd say shirts cut in traditional patterns using wild fabrics. I can't get enough of Paul Smith or Etro, or for that matter Jhane Barnes.

Peace,

JG

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
PS: Re Shirts- let's just say my closet bar has broken twice in the last couple of years from the weight of dress shirts... Joe G: Like those sorts of shirts, too- but have to be 18 in ETRO, and Paul Smith doesn't make 18. 17.5 is way too tight
sad.gif
. Haven't seen much interesting JB lately- but really like the shirts I have. One looks like a Jackson Pollock painting....Also, has anyone else noticed that her sizes run large? XL usually fits me great....

Renwick

Reaction score
PS:

Re Shirts- let's just say my closet bar has broken twice in the last couple of years from the weight of dress shirts...
I once posted pictures of my closet/room where I use those giant metal stoage racks. I got them after breaking my closet bar more times than I can count.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads