• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grey or Camel?

Eck

Reaction score
I am in the process of acquiring a new bespoke 100% Cashmere overcoat (for next winter). What would you advise, color wise; Grey or Camel?

Thanks

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If it will be your only overcoat, or primary go-to overcoat, I think Charcoal would be your best bet. I assume you mean Charcoal rather than a light color gray.

And if you have a few overcoats and the new bespoke overcoat will be one of many, then I would definitely consider Camel, which to me is particularly striking as an overcoat, and is a wardrobe staple.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
You need to ask yourself what it's for. They are both great colors. Gray is more conservative, more of a safe business color. Camel is sportier and more interesting.

Personally, I would only get camel as a polo coat.

Eck

Reaction score
No its one of many. I all ready have both colors but not bespoke.
I am refering to a lighter shade of grey.
I like both colors quite alot and thus i cant make up my mind...

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Solid light gray does not sound so great to me. Light gray herringbone -- either DB, or SB with a fly front -- that would be cool.

But even better, if you already have a lot of coats, then go with the classic camel polo. Great coat.

sammy

Reaction score
Camel
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
+1 for the camel color

especially if you have many overcoats

2ups4ra.jpg

Here's a picture of the "Famous Despos Bespoke Overcoat" as an example of a beautiful bespoke camel colored overcoat.

And here's the thread about overcoats that the picture appeared in.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think grey gives you more flexibility, and I would rather get more use out of a pricey bespoke piece than less. Depending on the shade of grey, I think a lighter colour could be quite elegant. I'm a little tired of all the dark overcoats in winter; it's dreary enough without adding more dark shades to it...

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suggested an espresso brown cashmere coat for a friend of mine. He looks good in it. I think that color is rich, different and acceptable even in conservative circles. I may get one for myself sometime soon.

Camel or sand color is alright but it is an overcoat you get when you have 4 others. In the polo style (either single or double breasted) although you could also do it as an ordinary three button, notch lapel coat.

I am not really crazy about charcoal, I prefer jet black or navy cashmere.

Light grey colored overcoats are for flamboyant interior decorators
tounge.gif

I have a SB pea coat in espresso brown and it is easily my favorite.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My overcoat is a brown, between camel and espresso. Perhaps I would call it rust. I have never encountered a situation in which I could not wear it, or have felt embarrassed to do so.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
My overcoat is a brown, between camel and espresso. Perhaps I would call it rust. I have never encountered a situation in which I could not wear it, or have felt embarrassed to do so.

Is it possilbe to feel embarrassed about what one wears in San Francisco? I feel guilty wearing a suit -- yuppie scum! -- but not exactly embarrassed.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Is it possilbe to feel embarrassed about what one wears in San Francisco? I feel guilty wearing a suit -- yuppie scum! -- but not exactly embarrassed.
True enough. My perspective should be discounted for this reason. It has actually gotten worse here even in the last year, if you can believe it.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton

Matt's embarrassed to wear the bespoke leather shirts he ordered from Arnys.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads