• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grenson Albert or C&J Finsbury

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally feel the Grensons are not worth GBP200. They are more readily found at discounted prices than C&J. I would pick the C&J finsbury over them at full retail price. See if you can try them physically before deciding which would fit you better.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Finsbury is just such a wonderful shoe, that I believe it is no question.

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
The Finsbury has a gorgeous medallion and is certainly better quality than the Grenson Albert.

The 341 last on the Finsbury is the perfect combination of sleekness without being noticeable fashion forward.

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in agreement that the Finsbury is the better-looking, outperforming shoe. At least from what I've gathered on this forum.

IOW, I own neither and am basing it on word of mouth and pictures. The C&J looks more aesthetically pleasing to me, FWIW.

fra

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyCrockett
The Finsbury has a gorgeous medallion and is certainly better quality than the Grenson Albert.

The 341 last on the Finsbury is the perfect combination of sleekness without being noticeable fashion forward.

Quality is certainly on par and comparing the two is like comparing oranges and apples, the Albert being much more country use or look oriented.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you care about top quality the Albert will probably not be satisfactory. If you just want another pair of shoes to kick around, they might be fine. I would buy a pair for about $150, not 200gbp tho.

Finsbury is one of those wingtips where once you get one you may never need another.

Vox Populi

Reaction score
I think I'll pitch in on the "Albert" side! We Brits love an underdog.

I have a pair and I've owned the C&J "Westfield", which is in the same stable as the "Finsbury" (both benchgrade quality). Here are my observations for what they are worth.

Firstly, colour.

Both excellent. The C&J chestnut brown is very nice, but the colour of the cognac "Albert" is simply magnificent. It's a mixture of chestnut brown and oxblood, which I would describe, as 'autumnal red'. The leaves turning and all that.

Secondly, last.

The Albert is not as large and clunky as, say, the Tricker's "Bourton" - it's actually quite a conservative looking shoe which could easily be worn with a business suit (remember they sell them in Tan and Black). It's also an oxford, not a derby, so it looks like your typical business brogue anyway. The C&J 341 last is sleeker if you like that sort of thing.

Thirdly, materials.

The quality of leather used on the Finsbury, Albert or the Bourton is probably about the same. It is of course difficult to know this, but I cannot detect any great differences.

Fourthly, finish.

For me, Grenson any day. Beautifully made. The edges of my shoes were polished so nicely they looked like mahogany. I've never seen this on any other shoe, Edward Green included. The burnishing is better than Tricker's or C&J - the colour is comparable to Edward Green.

Remarks.

The Edwards of Manchester website will give you a "˜rotated view' of these shoes. The heel on the Albert looks great. The Finsbury, in contrast, has the flap at the back that is a little bit unsightly, clumsy even. Tricker's do it better - they have tiny tag at the top. Also, remember that the Albert is made on a double-leather sole, the Finsbury on single.

Overall, I feel that the Albert is a better made, more robust and finer looking shoe that the Finsbury. It is comparable to a C&J Handgrade - there or thereabouts.

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought all those Brit maker shooz retailing for 200 quid or less were guaranteed to have come from Bangladesh.

Groover

Reaction score
Having owned both regualr C&J and Grenson Rose I'd say there's not much to choose between them. But to say either are comparable to the C&J Handgrade is not at all accurate.

redmania

Reaction score
Interesting. I must admit I love the colour on the Grenson. But have wanted a pair of C&J's for a while. I am off to Singapore and Dubai in the coming weeks so I will try them out for size and make a purchase online. I suppose if I can get the Grenson for a lot less than the C&J that may sway me. Although I do really want some C&J's.

It is hard to make a decision and it is very hard trying to gauge the colours from the internet. What is alos harder is living down under and not really having anywhere good to view or try the shoes on.

Francisco

Reaction score
Originally Posted by redmania
Interesting. I must admit I love the colour on the Grenson. But have wanted a pair of C&J's for a while. I am off to Singapore and Dubai in the coming weeks so I will try them out for size and make a purchase online. I suppose if I can get the Grenson for a lot less than the C&J that would sway me.

I don't think you can get both brands in Dubai and Singapore as I stay in both countries.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads