• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grenadine weave etymology

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Grenadine syrup (the kind you use in cocktails) has an uncertain etymology. Does anyone know the history behind the name of the grenadine weave?

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Edit: I just reread your link. Nm.

factorial

Reaction score
I wouldn't say that the etymology of grenadine syrup is uncertain. It was traditionally made from pomegranate juice, and the term is derived from the word for pomegranate in French, grenade. That in turn can be traced all the way back to Latin pomum granatum, "seeded apple". We also get the English word grenade from the same root. I don't think this helps for the grenadine weave. Dictionary.com gives an origin for the weave sense of the word: 1850–55; < F, perh. after Granada, Spain The alternative possibility would be that someone saw the weave and thought it had a "seeded" appearance similar to a pomegranate. Or maybe grenadiers wore that type of weave...

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My dictionary says the origin is from the French "grenu" or "grained". As in grained silk.

Not sure if this is correct. Maybe Sator or someone knows.

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Grenadine" makes me think of time on the road eating veggie burritos.

Brown eyed women and red grenadine
the bottle was dusty but the liquor was clean
Sound of the thunder with the rain pouring down
and it looks like the old man's getting on

http://arts.ucsc.edu/GDead/AGDL/brown.html

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Do you think it has something to do with the Spanish city of Granada?

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
Do you think it has something to do with the Spanish city of Granada?
Kent, It is hard to say exactly but there is a school of thought that gauza is from Gaza. Gauza is used in Italy for grenadines. Two types a loose weave and a very loose weave.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sam Hober
Kent, It is hard to say exactly but there is a school of thought that gauza is from Gaza. Gauza is used in Italy for grenadines. Two types a loose weave and a very loose weave.
This could make sense because the Moorish kingdom of Grenada probably had contact with the middle eastern merchants and weavers. The Spanish, like the rest of the Europeans learned a lot from North Africa, the Middle East and Asia during the dark ages and feudal period. The Spanish already had some good textile traditions and certainly learned many more from the Moors, who believed in finery. If I recall, grenadine ties were always a Spanish specialty, the firm of Richel turning out large numbers of colors and patterned grenadine ties long before their resurgence on the MBs.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That makes sense.

Though I've heard of grenadine called English gauze in Italy, which may contradict the Spanish hypothesis.

Sterling Gillette

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by factorial
I wouldn't say that the etymology of grenadine syrup is uncertain. It was traditionally made from pomegranate juice, and the term is derived from the word for pomegranate in French, grenade. That in turn can be traced all the way back to Latin pomum granatum, "seeded apple". We also get the English word grenade from the same root.

I don't think this helps for the grenadine weave. Dictionary.com gives an origin for the weave sense of the word:
1850-55; < F, perh. after Granada, Spain

The alternative possibility would be that someone saw the weave and thought it had a "seeded" appearance similar to a pomegranate. Or maybe grenadiers wore that type of weave...

You do not give an etymology but deliver pure speculation. Says the linguistic student.
teacha.gif

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sam Hober
Kent,

It is hard to say exactly but there is a school of thought that gauza is from Gaza.

Gauza is used in Italy for grenadines.

Two types a loose weave and a very loose weave.

'Gauza' or 'garza'?

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by factorial
I wouldn't say that the etymology of grenadine syrup is uncertain. It was traditionally made from pomegranate juice, and the term is derived from the word for pomegranate in French, grenade. That in turn can be traced all the way back to Latin pomum granatum, "seeded apple". We also get the English word grenade from the same root.
How so? I've always wondered about that as well. Is it because a grenade looks like a pomegranate?

factorial

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sterling Gillette
You do not give an etymology but deliver pure speculation. Says the linguistic student.
teacha.gif

Sure. And nothing is truly certain. After all, how can I know that I'm really typing this and not just dreaming that I'm typing it? Spare me the philosophy and semantic arguments. In the absence of evidence to the contrary I'm going to assume that the etymology for "grenadine syrup" given in the dictionary is correct. And my dictionary happens to say that the word origins are 1700-1710, French, from a diminutive formation of grenade, pomegranate. If you want to trace it back to Proto-Indo-European be my guest.
teacha.gif
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
How so? I've always wondered about that as well. Is it because a grenade looks like a pomegranate?
1525–35; < F < Sp granada pomegranate, special use of granado having grains < L grānātus. See grain, -ate 1 So yes, it does appear to come from pomegranate, though it's certainly possible/likely that the first people to use the words were also aware of the word granado, "having grains" or even the Latin word for the same, granatus. I'm sure that there's someone who's done original research on this but unless you're really interested in looking it up you'll have to settle for what the dictionary and Wikipedia have to offer. Here's another source: http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?...earchmode=none

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads