• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Green behind the ears, help

Immanuelrx

Reaction score
Ok, I just recently started caring about quality when it comes to dress wear. I need help deciding where to go. I have been reading different postings in this forum, but have yet to read one that i feel applies to me. A little background on myself, I have not needed to have a suit until recently. I went to Men's Wearhouse and bought two suits. Yes yes, I know what the quality is now, but then it didn't matter when i bought it. I have outlet dress shirts only. So basically I am starting from scratch as I start to build a decent wardrobe. Now, one thing that has confused me on this forum is how some people will say brand x is terrible in quality in one thread and another thread they are ok. Take Brooks brothers for instance, I read both opinions. I understand sometimes that has to do with wallet size, since the best available quality is what you can afford. I am in the military so I am not about to start shopping in paris to get dress shirts. Ok so enough of the story, this is where I need help. Brooks brothers is about the limit in price range for me. Even with that, I would probably only buy during a sale. Is Brooks brothers the way to go or are there other places around the same price that has a better quality. Please only constructive helpful replays. It seems even well dress men can act like children on this forum sometimes. Thanks

Subutai

Reaction score
For what occasion do you need these clothes? Are you transitioning out and looking for clothes for the workplace? If so, what industry are you transitioning into?
Knowing the purpose is important and would help give you advice. As a start, check out ctshirts.com decent quality, 4 shirts for $200

Last edited:

Immanuelrx

Reaction score
I am still in the military, but will be eventually transitioning into a job that requires a suit and tie. I am looking to get one nice suit for special occasions (I still have my two MW suits for anything else), mostly good dress shirts, maybe a sport coat, and a couple of dress pants. I haven't even thought about what shoes to get, I haven't done any research on shoes yet. They will be for the office eventually, but for right now, they are just because I want to build a wardrobe and like to dress up from time to time.

Last edited:

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The standard entry level suggestions are BB 1818 line, Suit Supply.

I believe BB will be having their Christmas sale soon, so visiting the BB sale thread might be of interest.

While I have no Suit Supply experience, they are a forum favorite, and can be had for about $500.

You will hear that you can find better quality brands for along those prices if you look hard enough. But at the end of the day, as a newbie, buy what fits well and what you can try out in person.

I would thread lightly in regards to your future shoe inquires, it is a STEEP slippery slope...

Last edited:

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe the phrase is 'Wet behind the ears'. 'Green behind the ears' would be indicitave of needing not a tailor, but a doctor and immediate medical attention.
At ease, Private Immanuelrx.

Last edited:

Immanuelrx

Reaction score
You are correct, but it seems everyone got the point. Thanks for contributing to the post Airman Basic JA.

Subutai

Reaction score
Lot of prior service here actually. Anyway, I still recommend Charles Tyrwhitt for your dress shirts; they are a great way to get decent quality for a great price and build a wardrobe.

For shoes, stick with Allen Edmonds or Meermin (although sizing the latter might be difficult if you're unfamiliar with dress shoes). These two brands are good quality without the crazy sticker shock :)

CrimsonSox

Reaction score
If you live close to New York, there's Century 21, as well as sample sales at Soiffer Haskin. The sample sales last a few days and sell the previous season's suits for a substantial discount. You might want to try the outlet malls too, like Woodbury Commons, though you might have to go a few times to find something in your size that's not in an unusual pattern. If you're buying at a retail store, like Brooks Brothers, Ralph Lauren, or Saks Fifth Avenue it's a good idea to wait until the after Christmas sales for fall/winter clothes, or early July for the summer sales. The suit will be half or even a quarter of the price of the regular season.

If you're getting one suit, I would stick to a solid navy or charcoal grey in a single-breasted model with side vents, made of 100% wool. It will be versatile and look great. I would avoid patterned suits until you have a foundation of a few solids in your wardrobe.

CrimsonSox

Reaction score
Also, if you're beginning to buy suits, I would go to the stores and try on many different models to get a sense of what cut fits you best.

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you live close to New York, there's Century 21, as well as sample sales at Soiffer Haskin.  The sample sales last a few days and sell the previous season's suits for a substantial discount.  You might want to try the outlet malls too, like Woodbury Commons, though you might have to go a few times to find something in your size that's not in an unusual pattern.  If you're buying at a retail store, like Brooks Brothers, Ralph Lauren, or Saks Fifth Avenue it's a good idea to wait until the after Christmas sales for fall/winter clothes, or early July for the summer sales.  The suit will be half or even a quarter of the price of the regular season.

If you're getting one suit, I would stick to a solid navy or charcoal grey in a single-breasted model with side vents, made of 100% wool.  It will be versatile and look great.  I would avoid patterned suits until you have a foundation of a few solids in your wardrobe.

Also, if you're beginning to buy suits, I would go to the stores and try on many different models to get a sense of what cut fits you best.  

This is all v good advice. Spot on CSox

In addition wear good shoes. Also a good watch. Neither, by the way, needs to be expensive.

You then have a rounded good look

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For shoes, stick with Allen Edmonds. These are good quality without the crazy sticker shock :)

Spot on advice!

As far as as shirts and suits, I stick to two principal rules:

1. No artificial material. Shirts are cotton, suits are wool.
2. Well-tailored clothing looks fantastic regardless how much it cost. Most of my suits cost under 200, but they fit great off the peg, and then I have them tailored to within an inch of their lives. I buy shirts off eBay for 10 bucks, and have my tailor slim the sleeves and torso. I also have 200 dollar custom shirts, but I wouldn't say they look ten times better than my eBay shirts.

Spend less, tailor more.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your newbie problem is the same as all the newbie problems that pop up every day on the forum.

The reason for the confusion is there's too many blind trying to lead the stupid.

What you need is to read, FOR YOURSELF, some authoritative basic information, then slowly and gradually develop your own style. Try books by Alan Flusser

That said, if you are like the 99% of the newbies out there, who would rather be fed information quickly by the blind, then good luck.

Last edited:

CrimsonSox

Reaction score
If I were talking to a serviceman who risked his life overseas for our country, I wouldn't be so smug and give him **** for being a newbie.

CrimsonSox

Reaction score
Your newbie problem is the same as all the newbie problems that pop up every day on the forum.

The reason for the confusion is there's too many blind trying to lead the stupid.

What you need is to read, FOR YOURSELF, some authoritative basic information, then slowly and gradually develop your own style. Try books by Alan Flusser

That said, if you are like the 99% of the newbies out there, who would rather be fed information quickly by the blind, then good luck.

Try books on how to be a gentleman by Judith Martin.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads