• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Great sartorial TV - Jeeves and Wooster

JeffsWood

Reaction score
If you get the chance you should check out the show Jeeves and Wooster, you might be hard pressed to find it on TV (though I get it on a local station) but it can be found on DVD.

In short it is a British Comedy about a rich, slightly dimwitted bachelor ( Hugh Laurie ) and his very smart valet Jeeves (Stephen Fry) set pre WWII in Britain (I am told there a few episodes where they travel to the states too). It was filmed in the early 1990’s. It is a very funny show that features lots of Black Tie and White Tie Appreciation, and some stellar looks. One of the running gags is Jeeves impeccable selection of outfits for Wooster to wear, but on occasion Wooster decides to not listen to Jeeves with comic results (the DJ episode is a hoot). I am sure many on this forum would enjoy this show on many levels, including how the characters are turned out.

I have never read the books, but I plan to after having watching this show for the last few weeks.

HughLaurie-BertieWooster.jpg

J-W-portrait-jeeves-and-wooster-461816_962_1462.jpg

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love Jeeves & Wooster.

It's unbelievable to think that Hugh Laurie played Bertie Wooster *and* plays House. =)

Edit: And if you haven't read PG Wodehouse, you absolutely must! He's unbelievably funny and rather amazing. It's almost like reading about Reginald by Saki.

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The books are fabulous fun

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no doubt, one of my favorite shows of all time. really good on DVD, I think netflix and other sources carry it.

I never did pin down what company made the hats for the show, which I thought were great. the suits always looked great to me as well, more for how they were worn, not how they fit at the neck
smile.gif

tricota

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
Stephen Fry is just so damn awesome.

Isnt he though? Marveles man.

Jeeves and Wooster are great, even if you are not into clothes. Very funny. But the clothes is importent. There is a scene in one of the earlier episodes where they have traveled to the countryside and Jeeves is putting out Wosters clothes for him. Wonderful. Made me wish I had a Gentleman's Gentalman for myself...

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JeffsWood
If you get the chance you should check out the show Jeeves and Wooster, you might be hard pressed to find it on TV (though I get it on a local station) but it can be found on DVD.

You may also be able to find it on youtube, although the dvd is quite cheap on amazon (I was ordering quickly and thought I would receive a complete collection of the books - it was a pleasant surprise but a surprise nonetheless).

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think it was Ludwig Bemelmans who wrote the two most impossible roles for an actor are Jeeves and Jesus. But Fry does a pretty good job. If you are a fan of the books--and how could you not be, when they are quite possible the best comic writing in the English language this side of Shakespeare--the shows can get a little confusing, as they mix things up a bit.

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most of the episodes are on Youtube, I had a couple of days watching them all again six months back. I'm really into those rounded (club?) collars that Jeeves wears with a skinny FIH tie...
blush.gif

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tricota
But the clothes is importent. There is a scene in one of the earlier episodes where they have traveled to the countryside and Jeeves is putting out Wosters clothes for him. Wonderful.

There are other episodes where various subplots involve Jeeves' disapproval of Bertie's clothing choices - rakish and undesirable items like straw boaters!
smile.gif

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
I have the entire series on DVD... it's absolutely great. Laurie is perfect. Fry might have been a bit young for the part, but you really can't complain about how he plays it. Richard Garnett was really the perfect Gussie. Of course, the books are even better.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
There are other episodes where various subplots involve Jeeves' disapproval of Bertie's clothing choices - rakish and undesirable items like straw boaters!
smile.gif

I especially love his comment on monogramming one's clothing - I think Bertie gets handkerchiefs with his initials and Jeeves, of course, is quite adept at expressing his disapproval.

Every time I see people with obvious monograms (e.g. on the cuff), I am reminded of this episode.

Jupiter

Reaction score
We should not forget about the fantastic cars!

One thing I really liked was Bertie's pocket watch that he wears in his breast pocket with the t-bar (I think it is called) through the hole in the lapel. Very classy. I recently saw a gentleman with this passing through Piccadilly and it was fantastic.

JeffsWood

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
I especially love his comment on monogramming one's clothing - I think Bertie gets handkerchiefs with his initials and Jeeves, of course, is quite adept at expressing his disapproval.

Every time I see people with obvious monograms (e.g. on the cuff), I am reminded of this episode.

I have seen that one yet - I can't wait as showey monograms is a pet peave of mine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads