• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grappa

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there anyone who is alcoholically educated who could explain grappa to me? I do understsand where it comes from/how it's made. There are a number of bottles of Alexander and Le Dic'Otto Lune grappa for essentially half off, and I would like to know what I am getting myself into with them.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know those makers -- all my grappas are Poli or Nonino.

Regardless, (and for the most part) grappas are absolute firewater where 95%+ of the intellectual action is in the nose. There, they are splendour. Some of the better makers do imbue the taste with character of the grape, but it's not the common result.

As a whisky man, I prefer grappas that have some barrel age on them as it is more pleasing to my tongu -- you can easily differentiate them as they are not clear.

As that what you wanted to know?

~ Huntsman

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah thats what I want, the **** thats left over when theyre done making the good ****...

freespirit

Reaction score
Alexander is an excellent Grappa producer. Which are the bottles they have at a discount?

I have a bottle of Alexander Grappa in a spritzer bottle, think cologne bottle, that gets sprayed on top on an espresso, bunch of grapes and such and it is awesome.

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Exactly what I was looking for Huntsman. Much obliged.

Originally Posted by Huntsman
I don't know those makers -- all my grappas are Poli or Nonino.

Regardless, (and for the most part) grappas are absolute firewater where 95%+ of the intellectual action is in the nose. There, they are splendour. Some of the better makers do imbue the taste with character of the grape, but it's not the common result.

As a whisky man, I prefer grappas that have some barrel age on them as it is more pleasing to my tongu -- you can easily differentiate them as they are not clear.

As that what you wanted to know?

~ Huntsman

samblau

Reaction score
Had some tonight at Il Mulino, they include it. Most epensive Italian meal of my life, by far. Easily worth it. So so so good.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by denning
Is there anyone who is alcoholically educated who could explain grappa to me? I do understsand where it comes from/how it's made. There are a number of bottles of Alexander and Le Dic'Otto Lune grappa for essentially half off, and I would like to know what I am getting myself into with them.

Have you tasted grappa several times in the past? It's not everyone's cup of tea, but I like it. It's great for an digestif because of it's dryness.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HORNS
Have you tasted grappa several times in the past? It's not everyone's cup of tea, but I like it. It's great for an digestif because of it's dryness.

It's definitely not everyone's cup of tea. I was having dinner with friends at Luce in SF and they sent over their grappa flight digestif from their grappa bar. A majority of people only liked 1 of the grappas because it didn't taste as "strong" as the others. The grappa bar there is great though -- it really lets you sample a lot of grappas to figure out your tastes.

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HORNS

Never had it before. Tried it last night. Pungent stuff. Or maybe I should say potent. Like Huntsman said, all of the action is in the nose, and I'm not used to this stuff yet, but I could see myself developing a palette for it. I can also imagine good stuf being really good. I tried the Bottega Alexander Society Grappa, and saw that they also carry discounted bottles of Jacopo Poli Amarosa di Vespaiolo Grappa, and Jacopo Poli Po di Poli Barrique Grappa. I don't think I'll be investing any more into grappa in the mean time, but I will revisit it in the future.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by denning
Never had it before. Tried it last night. Pungent stuff. Or maybe I should say potent. Like Huntsman said, all of the action is in the nose, and I'm not used to this stuff yet, but I could see myself developing a palette for it. I can also imagine good stuf being really good. I tried the Bottega Alexander Society Grappa, and saw that they also carry discounted bottles of Jacopo Poli Amarosa di Vespaiolo Grappa, and Jacopo Poli Po di Poli Barrique Grappa. I don't think I'll be investing any more into grappa in the mean time, but I will revisit it in the future.

I tried grappa many times and did not like it - it drove me crazy that there was a liquor that I did not like! I then had that "Helen Keller moment" when I tried some really good stuff - and it all fell into place. I personally like the grappas from Piedmont who have nebbiolo grapes in them. There's good body and nose to them that makes them far from "white lightnin'".

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
I grew up "trying" nonno's home made grappa with all the Italian kids in the neighborhood. Evil evil stuff.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is "nonno" a personal name for "grandpa"?

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
I grew up "trying" nonno's home made grappa with all the Italian kids in the neighborhood. Evil evil stuff.

hahaha. My grandfather use to give me that when I was a kid. He would sit there and laugh as I coughed it up. He said its good, great for digestion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads