• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GQ Sept. issue 'best denim under $100'

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
did anyone see this list of best denim under $100?? what did you think?
http://men.style.com/gq/features/lan...=content_10857
I thought only 3 of the pairs listed were ones I would consider, prob. in this order:

1. Uniqlo, japan denim slim fit, $80
2. New Gap, 1969 skinny fit raw
3. J.Crew, 484 slim

That said, the fit of the slim straight Uniqlo looked quite nice... I have yet to see these in person with the only store being in NYC but for the price of $80 they seem like a great option.....may have to grab a pair to try out.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phdude
i just lol @ the kc's for $88

yea, I mean for the price of whatever they are listing your better off spending a tad more and getting what you want.... prob. would have been better off doing best denim under $200...

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
And bear in mind that GQ features like this are necessarily biased. They often plug their sponsors in non-paid editorials to keep them happy. Hence the constant presence of Kenneth Cole and CK. Ad dollars are tough to come by for magazines these days, so they do what they gotta.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would have only picked out these:

Levis 501
Levis 511
Uniqlo

Originally Posted by Epaulet
And bear in mind that GQ features like this are necessarily biased. They often plug their sponsors in non-paid editorials to keep them happy. Hence the constant presence of Kenneth Cole and CK. Ad dollars are tough to come by for magazines these days, so they do what they gotta.
September/October is going to be brutal for the fashion rags.

Ohhai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pg600rr
yea, I mean for the price of whatever they are listing your better off spending a tad more and getting what you want.... prob. would have been better off doing best denim under $200...

Something that gets forgotten often here is that a vast majority of men won't pay $200 or even $100 for jeans.

Also, the point of "best X for under $Y" articles is to highlight deals at prices under or at the established perceived average value.

So yes, "the best hamburger under $40 dollars" list made by an average high circulation magazine would have some fantastic burgers on it, it's forgetting the point and the readership.

Ohhai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
The 511's look best. A lot of the nice options on that list are raw, which I'm unfortunately not interested in.

Yeah because a washing machine is hard to come by.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ohhai
Yeah because a washing machine is hard to come by.

Admittedly I don't have a huge amount of knowledge about raw denim, but I was under the impression that just throwing them in the washing machine isn't quite the same thing as "washed" denim from manufacturers.

stylesmurf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seriously, what other choices are there other than the Levi's under $100 (please don't say SF B&S
smile.gif
) Based on threads on SF here, the new Gap denim is pretty good.. and Uniqlos have always gotten at least some respect. So all in all, not the worse choices, advertisement influenced or not.

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what I've seen, I can only endorse the Uniqlo offering here, but I can do so heartily. They look awesome in the store and I've seen lots of people wear them dressed up or down. I stopped buying jeans but am considering making an exception because these are so cheap and of such value that I'd regret missing a pair. Denim ROI.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics